Ironman Lanzarote 2013 (3rd weekend in May?)

Comments

• Back to the techy talk (just briefly)...

Re: a 32 worth it for anybody slower than 6h on the course.  That's pretty much everyone bar the pro's right?  I'm fully anticipating a 6 hour bike ride. That's averaging just over 18 and a half mph for six hours straight.  I.e., hard work.

• Oh, and I really should change my profile pic sometime. This ones from La Santa in 2007!

• funkin (4.) wrote (see)

Back to the techy talk (just briefly)...

Re: a 32 worth it for anybody slower than 6h on the course.  That's pretty much everyone bar the pro's right?  I'm fully anticipating a 6 hour bike ride. That's averaging just over 18 and a half mph for six hours straight.  I.e., hard work.

Exactly.

My point was that most of the field will get a benefit over a 32 on this course discounting the weight issue that a 32 brings.

However, you will see that not many people will display that gear as it will hint a weakness in their minds. If you can spin a 25 anywhere on this course then your time is bound to be on the less than 6h frame. If not, then you are going to slowly crank the 25 up both Miradors and you would be better off spinning at least a 28.

It is the same sort of thing as having a tri-bike and never tucking in (just like I did on my first HIM).

• It is what it is, as a wise man once said ... and that includes my bike, it's got me round the last 7 I'm sure it knows what it's doing image

• Iron Pingu wrote (see)

There's a lot of techy bike talk going on here!  My bike has wheels a saddle some other bits and is white.

I had to look up how to find out what numbers my bike cassette is and I will count up the teeth tonight!  I got round the Blaenavon tri on it though and if Lanza is worse than Blaenavon I'm not going.

are you coming to laugh at Blaenavon on sunday..........i can't take my bike with the gears as I will not risk the wheels on the mountain road...so will be struggling on my training bike...........thats if i survive the swim....and the wind and rain ever stop

• M...eldy wrote (see)

It is what it is, as a wise man once said ... and that includes my bike, it's got me round the last 7 I'm sure it knows what it's doing image

Absolutely, ultimately it is the mind that takes the worthy accross the finish line. Training only gets you as far as the start line.

• .. and I was told white bikes are faster image

seren nos wrote (see)
    Iron Pingu wrote (see)

There's a lot of techy bike talk going on here!  My bike has wheels a saddle some other bits and is white.

I had to look up how to find out what numbers my bike cassette is and I will count up the teeth tonight!  I got round the Blaenavon tri on it though and if Lanza is worse than Blaenavon I'm not going.

are you coming to laugh at Blaenavon on sunday..........i can't take my bike with the gears as I will not risk the wheels on the mountain road...so will be struggling on my training bike...........thats if i survive the swim....and the wind and rain ever stop

Yes, will be there to cheer you guys on, not sure where yet though.

• Pingu - technically, red bikes are without a doubt the fastest. White bikes are pretty fast though, plus they do look the coolest, which afterall, is the most important thing. image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Raf - you talk shit.  White bikes are the fastest, Pingu knows.

• I'm with mouse. White all the way (preferably with a bit of silver, black and red).

• M..o.use wrote (see)

What am I am doing wrong then, as my bike is white....with some black and a splash of red??? image

• Rafiki wrote (see)
    M..o.use wrote (see)

What am I am doing wrong then, as my bike is white....with some black and a splash of red??? image

Looks a lot like my bike. My bike is awesomely fast, however, I slow it down to a walk though. It is expected from having to carry my 6f2i frame.

• M..o.use wrote (see)

Yeah, wot Mouse said! image

• EDIT: I had an elaborated rant regarding gears and a pretty image to share but it got all screwed when I clicked "submit"

• That's cos you are not allowed to discuss gears in the last 7 days before the race, it's the law

• Still trying to recover from the thought of how many people on here would care a jot about the additional weight from using a 32 tooth cassette image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Shhhh.  You'll only start him off again.

• I'm confused, I thought it was the colour of the tyres which made the difference, with of course yellow and black being the optimal conbination.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Oh that's good, Barley.  Very good.

Don't tell me I have to buy new tyres too, FeFe?

• It's the last Friday before the last Friday!! imageimageimage

My tyres are round image

• Okey, you guys triggered this........

There is a performance efficiency from higher cadence for the same Wattage Output. Hence if you grind a 25 on a compact up a hill (60revs), you would be able to almost spin (78-79revs) said compact with a 32. Since the weight difference between cassettes is negligible taken into account weight fluctuations from riders of a certain caliber ... having a 32 is the most sensible option, which is what OC is bringing.

• A 12-25 and an 11-32 have also 7 exact gear ratios amongst the usable 18 gears a compact with 10 speed cassettes have.

I may NOT YET be an ironman and stink on the bike but I know my bullshit image

EDIT: Spanish Grammar

• Cupcake. wrote (see)

Still trying to recover from the thought of how many people on here would care a jot about the additional weight from using a 32 tooth cassette image

That makes two of us. I was also saying that pretty much nobody should bother about the additional weight from the 32. (Only people with better than 6h on this course in fact).

• M..o.use wrote (see)

Shhhh.  You'll only start him off again.

Mmmmm and here I was compiling everything in your WORD document on the Bike course and preparing to print it for you ... Ah well, I guess that ALL pirates carry a cutlass ...

• Oh... a document about the bike course... sounds interesting.

Actually, one thing I'm going to do before the race is get more of an idea where the aid stations are.  They may only be a few miles apart in some instances but if its all uphill between them then it'll take a lot longer to get there than if it were flat.

• Aid station 1 / Uga 22 km: PowerBar Performance Drinks, Red Bull, water, bananas.

Aid station 2 / El Golfo 39 km: PowerBar Performance Drinks, Red Bull, water, PowerBar

Performance Bars.

Aid station 3 / Mancha Blanca 61 km: PowerBar Performance Drinks, Red Bull, water, bananas.

Aid station 4 / Famara 80 km: PowerBar Performance Drinks, Red Bull, water and half PowerBar Performance Bars.

Aid station 5 / Teguise 90 km: Water only

Aid station 6 / Los Valles 99 km: PowerBar Performance Drinks, Red Bull, water, bananas.

Aid station 7 / Mirador de Haria 104 km: Special Aid station: athletes' own fuel (special feed bags deposited by athletes Saturday morning before the race in the transition zone in Puerto del Carmen will be placed in this station).

Aid station 8 / Mirador del Rio 118 km: PowerBar Performance Drinks, Red Bull, water and half PowerBar Performance Bars.

Aid station 9 / Las Cabreras 145 km: PowerBar Performance Drinks, Red Bull, water, bananas.

Aid station 10 / Masdache 165 km: PowerBar Performance Drinks, Red Bull, water and half PowerBar Performance Bars.

• BarLos .... For you that is quite funny image

Hoki ... You have been warned!