ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• Thankyou DS2. A huge GOOD LUCK for you for sunday (just incase I dont get the chance to come on here tomorrow). Im so looking forward to hearing about how you get on. I think you will smash your target if all goes to plan. I think they have forecasted for it to be cool and damp (and less windy) on sunday, which to me sounds perfect. 

• Bloody hell Reg, to knock off over a minute for a 5k is brilliant, you must be over the moon. imageimage.

• Thanks Tigger. Wow you have three dogs and children and find the time to swim and run...we should re-name you supergirl!

Good luck on sunday. Cant wait to hear how you get on.

Hi Malcs, that cake looks quite delicious. Im going to see if my mum will help me make one when im next down at hers for a weekend (would rather make a mess of her kitchen than mine image)

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Lovely looking cake malcs!image

I have been so manic at work I haven't hardly thought about carbo loading. I'll make sure I eat a lot of carbs tomorrow but that is my normal preparation. I try not to get too hung up because it starts me getting all twitchyimage

I woke up this morning not feeling my best and a sore throat!!! I've gone all winter with nothing more than a 3 day head cold and now two days before I feel like I could be getting something more serious! Potentially 7  months of hard training down the pan!!image

Anyhow, I'm hoping it's a combination of taper madness and being overworked and I just need a couple of good nights sleep to get me back on the right path. I really hope so!

Just been out for a gentle final 3 miler. Very windy so hard work uphill into the wind. I could hear my breathing was wheezy (is that a real word???) which isn't good. My legs feel pretty great though after Wednesdays massage. I did run the last mile at MP with no effort so maybe I'll be fine. I have to do it whatever because so many people have been good enough to sponsor me. I'm sure I will know what pace is possible 2 or 3 miles in and go from there.

Feeling a bit worried and a bit downimage

• Hope your ok DS2 and it is just taper madness and not an infection. Of all the times when you could get something, it would be devestating if it was now, im crossing everything for you to be well.

It may have just been the wind that made you feel wheezey (which is a word, lol) so try not to get too worried about that. 

If the worse comes to the worse, dont worry about the sponsorship...you still have a few other little events coming up which is included in the deal. image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 -  I had everything under the sun in the last two days before my race. And yes, that included a sore throat. Don't forget to have a nervous breakdown on Saturday afternoon - I always try and squeeze one of those in if I can image

What I'm trying to say is...relax, It'll be nothing. Trust me.

PS. Mrs Malcs would laugh her head off if she knew I was telling someone else not to worry!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I posted the same thing on three threads and everyone has told me the same thing!!! I am officially sitting in the madhouse! All I need now is a straight jacket!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Come on DS2 sort yourself out.  image  The sore throat etc is all part of it in the last few days.  You'll be fine.  You've done the training, you've been really sensible and you stand every chance of a great time.  Just keep your cool and keep putting one foot in front of the other in a timely fashion and you'll be great.

In the last few miles of London I kept chanting to myself:  Maximum pain, minimum fade....maximum pain, minimum fade....   over and over again.

No pressure but you must be the last of the Spring marathon runners and all eyes are on you.  Don't be shit! image

• Ds2 - you will be fine. Think of the man who went into see the doctor with a lettuce leaf in his bottom, he thought it was nothing but was told that is was the tip of the ice burg!  That might take your mind off things. 

• Sorry for that.

Chuffed bits with the 5k pb. Thank you for the comments, malcs and Sarah.

What does this weekend hold for people? 

• Evening,

DS- taper madness.....

Good luck for everyone who is racing this weekend- tigger and Sarah and DS

I will mostly be operating on Sunday as on call and got 3 cases lined up already image, but going tomorrow morning for my first open water swim of the year. Tried my new wetsuit out on Thursday at the open air swimming pool near Sheffield (Hathersage) and got over looking like a gimp compared to everyone else!

Hopefully water should be warmer than about 12 degrees..

Reg- keep the jokes coming!

Malcs- can you keep me a slice of cake next time you have one?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Made me laugh Reg! 

Not feeling very good this morning. Oh dear!!

• Just been for first open water swim of the year- 12 degrees. Fine when you're swimming but couldn't feel fingers or toes for 30 mins after!

DS- hope it's not a cold and that you're ok ttomorrow 

Have a good Saturday everyone 

• Reg that joke is particularly funny as first time I saw your photo I thought you were sat on the toilet!!

OO Clive I have open water envy!!

Malcs that cake looks awesome.....although I think you should get Mrs Malcs to bring one to TR24 just as proof that it does taste as good as it looks!!

DS2 I have faith in you! you will do amazingly well!!

As fot TR24 we now have 7 on the team..... but we need to re think the team name as well only 3 of us were at bootcamp! Any suggestions??

Oh and I have a good feeling about tomorrow... especially as Iv just opened the post to find I have a job interview!! 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Well done on the job interview Tigger!

All cake requests have been noted and I'll see what I can do image

DS2 - just sneaking in quickly to wish you all the best for tomorrow. I think the weather is going to be cooler which is great news.

Really hope you get that GFA place you deserve! 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Been feeling awful all day. Have dosed up on everything and drunk gallons of fluids in a bid to flush everything through. If there was any choice I would look for an alternative marathon but there aren't any so I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. 

I've trained so hard for this so I'm not going down without a fight. I've made myself think positively and will set off inside GFA time and see what transpires. I'm sure I will know inside the first half so if it's not on I'll slow a little and rescue what I can.

One of those things I guess? 

Thanks for all of your collective support. I will try not to let anyone down!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - sorry to hear your pre race has a bit of a cloud hanging over it. I felt what can only be described as "truly shit" the day before mine and on the day I was fine. I have also run a half marathon PB with a stinking cold.  

I think you have the right attitude. Go out there and give it a go. I reckon you'll be fine but if not then you will at least never be wondering what if.

Decent nights sleep tonight then let the adrenaline take over tomorrow. I'm off down the bookies to put my bet on you taking Halstead to the cleaners image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Aye Malcs. One thing is certain - if I don't give it a go I won't get GFA! I'm trying to prepare properly now. Just packed my bags, prepared my drinks, gels etc.

These things always feel worse last thing at night, first thing in the morning. I feel a bit worse again now but it seems to be throat upwards so shouldn't be a big risk. I'll get up early, have a shower, breakfast and then get on with it.

I could really do with a good nights sleep to be honest. Slept terribly last night which probably hasn't helped.

I am going to give it my best shot. If I get through the first 2 or 3 and 7:30 -7:35mm feels comfortable then I know I'll be fine and sub 3:20 will be mine for the taking.

I will hang on to the encouragement I've had from this thread when it gets tough!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

DS2 - everything is magnified at the moment. I ran London 2 years ago while on antibiotics for a throat infection.  I felt awful in the first half but actually improved as the race went on and finished feeling much better!   Take it as it comes but don't panic and keep your cool. You've trained so hard and your body is well conditioned and that will really help. 

Good luck! 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks Minni. I will use that as inspiration. I'm feeling like I can do this. Trying to banish negative thoughts!

Bring it on!!!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

GFA bagged! Yay! Will report fully later but 3:19:07 chip time so very happy!

• DS- well done!!!! Early birthday present image

• Excellent work DS2. Thoroughly happy for you and very well deserved!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Thank god!!! Well done! image  

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - so, so pleased for you! That is brilliant news. Birthday bash booked then! image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone. Minni - your comment made me laugh! It was exactly the same as my wife!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Haha DS! She'll be more relieved than any!  Can't wait to hear more details about the race. How did the manflu feel? image And very much looking forward to seeing you in the Forum Arms, The Chandos, next April. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Me too Minni. Will be a big celebration being my 50th. The Chandos used to be my Friday night pub when I worked in London many years ago!

i felt pretty rough most of the day but I think it played into my hands and I ran very even pacing with no heroics. I was sweating far more than normal but legs were strong and I never got passed by anyone all day and was overtaking continually.

I will report fully on the 3:15 thread!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ah, so could have tried harder...?!!! image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Ha ha! I am sitting here wondering that!