Kent Roadrunner Marathon

Comments

• Jason - the venue is on top of a hill, so it can be windy. But then in June conditions should be generally a lot calmer than in the winter! At least with the course being laps you won't have a headwind all the way... some A-B races I have done that's been a bit of a curse!

• Hi TZ

Thanks for the advice last week for my long run. I managed 16 miles but then just ran out of stamina. I have rested well this week and i am considering doing 20 miles on sat at a slow pace. I know you advised againgst this but it would still mean i could have a 3 week taper, would this not be long enough? im aiming for a 3.20 time....

Cheers

Tom

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

TZ - I need to ask something that goes way above and beyond the role of RD. hubby is due to come over but doesn't want to wait around the course - can you recommend anything to do in the local area for 1/2 a day? 

I'm not a native to Kent so unsure of what to recommend!

• Tom - My golden rule when it came to long runs was always "no more then 3h with 3 weeks to go, no more than 2h with two weeks to go, no more than 1h with 1 week to go".

Give yourself the best chance by trying to do that 20 early on Saturday, so you can spend the latter part of the day resting and eating well. That's they key now - focus on recovering thoroughly from all sessions.

Emmy - The town of Sandwich is just down the road and that's gorgeous.Gravesend is memorable for its links with Pochanotas. If he, like me, enjoys odd transport then there is the Tilbury-Gravesend Ferry. Maybe not much to visit in Tilbury, but quite a nice boat trip?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravesend%E2%80%93Tilbury_Ferry

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thank you so much! thats great.

• Great advice TZ i will go out nice an early Sat morning.

• I came to spectate last year and it was really enjoyable as I saw my friends quite frequently more so than you would see on a marathon that runs round a route.  I also took my own little chair to sit by the side of the course which was quite easy to do 

Emmy H there is also a Morrisons just up the road from the cyclopark if ur OH needs to get food supplies 

even as a spectator thought the organisation of this was really good and having the cafe on site also meant I got a hot drink to sit with too as the weather had abit of alsorts last year, rain, wind and sun!!! 

Well done to Ian for making this a great event and u never know I may even come along again to give people a shoutimage  

• That would be lovely if you could, I3 medals.

SInce last year we have improved things for spectators by hiring the mountain bike track as well as the tarmac circuit.

You may recall there were some MTB'ers last year who found us in their way.

We don't want to get in anybody's way, so we paid to book both circuits this year. That way our spectators can go anywhere on the MTB circuit to watch. Only there'll be no cycling on it, as that would defeat the point!

• Hi TZ,

Can you let me know anything about the playground, if it will be open on race day and if it is advisable to book?

My husband and friends will be bringing 5 and 3 year old children along. Will it be easy to come and go from the event to the play area?

Thanks very much!

• Hi Kathy

The play area is just a minute or two's walk from the Race HQ / cafe / finish line, The course can be viewed from the play area itself.

As far as whether it will be open that day... I see no reason why it would not, but it may be best to check by calling Cyclopark: 01474 567 145

I am in a training course all day so unable to call them myself.

• Thanks TZ, I will find out and then post the info.

Have a great day!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I3 Medals

even as a spectator thought the organisation of this was really good and having the cafe on site also meant I got a hot drink to sit with too as the weather had abit of alsorts last year, rain, wind and sun!!! 

Well done to Ian for making this a great event and u never know I may even come along again to give people a shoutimage  

That's good advice - thank you! As someone that has spectated before (whilst injured) I really appreciate the organisers looking after the spectators. There's nothing quite like a regular supply of tea and food!

TZ wrote (see)

That would be lovely if you could, I3 medals.

SInce last year we have improved things for spectators by hiring the mountain bike track as well as the tarmac circuit.

You may recall there were some MTB'ers last year who found us in their way.

We don't want to get in anybody's way, so we paid to book both circuits this year. That way our spectators can go anywhere on the MTB circuit to watch. Only there'll be no cycling on it, as that would defeat the point!

Does this mean that there is a MTB circuit there for spectators? Hubby loves his MTB'ing.

I've not run it yet so don't want to get too over myself but i'm really looking forward to this race and the organisation seems 1st class.

TZ - Have a good day on your training course!

• Me too - getting very excited about it. After VLM it will be great to run a smaller event - nice to change things up a bit.  Looking forward to meeting up with everyone - I;m in the Premier Inn in Gravesend the night before.  Hope the wind dies down in 3 weeks though image

• Emmy - The MTB circuit is for use by all spectators on foot. We can't have some people MTB'ing on the course while other spectators (including children) are stood/sat on that MTB course. I hope that's OK!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Of course it is! I'm just trying to find somethings for him to doimage

• The skate ramps and BMX track will be open. image

• This event sounds equally great for spectators too - great stuff. Watching people on the BMX track may might help make the 17 laps go quicker... image

Tom - glad the run went well.Hope it goes well early tomorrow too. At least you will have the rest of the day to relax.

Have a great weekend all. We've got our anniversary & some house viewings this weekend so it will be busy, but will fit in training both days - the beauty of this time of year is the longer daylight hours, which makes training on your own easier.

• The kids playground is open on race day and is £2 for a family of upto 5 for the whole day, come and go as you please and no need to book. It's cycle based so bring bikes and scooters along too!

• Ian,

Can you have a look at the email(s) that I have sent you.

Ta.

• Emmy

If your husband fancies a bit of cycling, not necessarily mountainbiking, he could head off out of the car park but going to the right of the gates rather than through them and head onto the old A2 which has been made into a footpath/cycle route. He can follow this for about a mile until it ends, which is just after The Premier Inn. Turn right briefly onto the road then go straight over the two roundabouts and back onto the path for approximately 2 miles until the path ends. He can then turn left and in about 200 yards he will be at Shorne Woods Country Park.

There is a cycle route in the park, I'm not a cyclist so don't know what it's like. The link below shows a run I did last year, the Cyclopark is at the bottom of the A227. Where I turned left is the route to Shorne, had I turned right I would have been in the Cyclopark car park. It's the section of the run where I ran alongside the A2. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/145112196

Alternatively he could go to Bluewater as it's only 10 minutes back towards London on the A2. If you let me know of any other interest he has I can point you in the right direction.

• That's brilliant, thanks for that Gary!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks Gary! Great advice!

• My pleasure, as I said if you want any other info just shout.

• What kind of temperature do people reckon it will be?
    I`m currently in Tokyo and just finished 20 miles in 25 degrees. Ouch!! Praise the japanese for having vending machines everywhere, never before has a Pocari sweat electrolyte drink tasted so good. Weird feeling knowing that water alone isn`t working..and licking the salty sweat on my arms is just weird!
    Will be pouring alot of water over my head on the 1st June. What do experienced people think about cooling down using this method? Yes as much as possilbe or conservatively or even not at all?
    Also I reckon the VLM GFA of 3:05 for my age group is beyond me so will be trying to `enjoy` things a bit more on my first marathon and go for 3:15 if anyone else is let me know. Cheers

• FF - I'm very jealous!! I ran the Tokyo Marathon this year and loved it... although obviously very different climate at that time of the year!

It's doubtful it will be 25degrees! Last year we were stood in thick jackets and hats while many runners started with several layers! The course tends to get a bit of a breeze, which helps keep the temperature down.

I personally don't find pouring water over my head helps a lot. It tends to wash the sweat down into my eyes, and there's a risk of getting it into my shoes which can lead to blisters. I think there is a psychological benefit as it feels like you're doing something productive, but I'm not convinced it's a physical benefit. That's just my experience.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TZ wrote (see)

I personally don't find pouring water over my head helps a lot. It tends to wash the sweat down into my eyes, and there's a risk of getting it into my shoes which can lead to blisters. I think there is a psychological benefit as it feels like you're doing something productive, but I'm not convinced it's a physical benefit. That's just my experience.

I'm so glad to hear that it's not just me that finds this!

• This will be my first marathon, Training has not gonee too well and my longest runs have been in the region of 16/17 miles or so. I ran for 2 hrs 05 today , covered 16 miles. Legs tired last 2 miles and debating whether to run the race. Probably get round it but dont want to walk if im struggling! 

• Hi Andrew,

I guess at the end of the day it depends on what you want to get out of the race...

There will be other people there who are doing a mixture of running and walking.

I think anyone who completes a marathon whether they run, walk or a mixture of both has achieved something very special!!

Just think any time you do this year is a PB and something to beat next year!!image

Hope to see you on June 1st!

Amanda xx