I dont want to stop

I have just been diagnosed as having Osteoarthritis in my knee. It is probably due to a cruciate ligament rupture in 1987. I am 35 years old and have run FLM for the last 3 years. Last year I achieved my goal of finishing under 3 hrs.(2.56.08). Although I could handle not running marathons anymore I dont want to stop running altogether. Is there anyone out there who is running with this condition?

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I don't know much about it, but if you bounce your message back to the top next week when V-rap is back from her holidays (I think it's next week....), she's a GP and full of lots of excellent info on this kind of thing.
  • I'm 36 and 18 months ago I was diagnosed with an arthritic hip.

The orthopaedic surgeon suggested that I take Glucosamine Sulphate (1000mg ) every day, together with regular physio and stretching exercises.

I have continued running in moderation although this is limited to treadmill and off - road.

I cannot train to the intensity of pre-injury so race times are slower but on the positive side I cycle and swim a lot more than I used to ,......

• Coopsy - just wanted to say Bad Luck - and also well done on getting such a fab time in the FLM. Hope you get some positive advice soon
  • Are you out there V-rap apparently you may be able to help? Please
  • I have two areas of grade 3+wear on my right knee and wear behind the kneecap. Also some wear in the left knee, all this discovered after three arthroscopies over the past 6 years. After resting from running for nearly a year I started back again very gradually, although I have maintained a lunchtime swim most days for the last two years and cycle whenever possible. Have been running again for over a year now but as fitness returned I have done the predictable-started racing again and overcooked it. So now I am having to lay off running again. I know it is hard but the message is run a little and enjoy it.
    Cross train also this will maintain fitness without distressing the knee, and maintain quad strength. I also take glucosamine HCL which I think helps.
  • COLCOL ✭✭✭
    GET INFORMATION/TRY GLUCOSAMINE IT SEEMS TO WORK ON MOST PEOPLE I KNOW WHO HAVE TRIED IT.
  • Hi Carl Cooper! I am 30 year of age and I am also suffering the same problem
    as your. As discussion with my doctor he suggest me "Glucosamine Sulphate
    which is helping to improving this conditions so far.

Glucosamine Sulphate can be found at

http://citymart.co.uk/search.asp?s=Glucosamine

http://www.healthydirect.co.uk
  • Firstly there is no evidence that running causes OA, unless you are running on an injury, such as a ligament tear. In your case the ACL may have allowed abnormal knee movement.
    Secondly there is no evidence that running with OA leads to it worsening , again as long as there is no injury or pain.

a good overview is available here
    http://stoneclinic.com/osteoknee.htm

agree with the glucosamine thing and also suggest you do more treadmill work. You may want to consider more cushioning in your shoes. It is extremely important you stabilise the knee with Quads strengthening exercises and I would also suggest exercises to improve the proprioreception of the knee.

Depending on the severity of your OA then you may want to consider an unloading knee brace. This certainly can help people keep going. In your case it will also help to stbilise the knee and counter some of the abnosmal movements the ACL causes.

Remember exercise helps stimulate the bone to repair and strengthen and the worst thing you can do for your knee is to give up exercise and pile on the weight.

Velociraptor will add more when she gets back
  • just seen the dates of this posting

sorry probably teaching grandmas to suck eggs
  • cabletow

I agree with you!

I have been told not to run anymore but I know that I will when I recover a little more from arthroscopy.

Carl Cooper I hope all goes well if you continue to run