Shoulder Pain

I did my first marathon last Sunday and although the usual aches and pains have gone away I've still got a stabbing pain deep in my left shoulder. It's ok most of the time, but hurts when I raise my elbow or extend my arm out. It also hurts when I run.

I think that it was from my arm jogging up and down as I was running but it's never happened before.

Has anybody else ever had this ? Is there anything that I can do to fix it, or prevent it in the future ?

Comments

• Used to get it every run a year or so ago, just faded away in time.

Get loads of other aches now on account of ageing...mainly ribs...

• Hi redjeep! I've experience this after my last marathon and running since.  Have you tried a sports massage.  Excellent for recovery and also loosening tight muscles that may be causing the problem in your shoulder. image

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Hi Naylorgirl, I've not tried a sports massage but may give it a go if it doesn't get any better soon. Its already been almost 2 weeks and its still quite painful, maybe because I've kept running.

The pain is at the top of the arm and feels that its in the arm/shoulder joint, which just seems a bit odd.

Thanks for the advice.

• Six PhysioSix Physio ✭✭✭

Hi Redjeep

Don't stress - all above board. The deep pain is either referred pain from your neck into your shoulder due to you're prolonged running posture being abit more slouchy due to the length/time of the mara - so keep an eye on your posture at work especially...

Or, don't foget howmany times you bounce up and down whilst running 26m - this can cause an impingement (something crashing into something else) in your shoudler, or even in the joint especially if you've got either a really tigth mid back or a relatively mobile shoulder joint. Have you tried a short course of AI's (if you can take them?) I dont think I'd be keen on trying to stretch your shoulder.

If it's doesn't settle in the next 5 days, go see someone.....

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Thanks SP. That all sounds logical. I'd thought that it may be due to the bouncing up and down, but hadn't thought of posture. I'll keep an eye on that. I've had a few ibruprofens over the past couple of weeks, which seem to help. I'll try taking them more regularly over the next couple of days and see if they clear it up.

I don't suppose that keeping running is helping at all. Maybe I'll try and give it a break for a few days.