'Burning' shins?

Bare with me, i'm terrible at explaining stuff and dont know many technical terms, but will try to explain as best I can.

I set off on a morning run yesterday and less than a mile in to it, my shins felt like they were on fire, a bit like you get from extreme muscle fatigue, but in my shins, not the muscles as the muscles felt fine. It got to a point where I slowed to a walk and it eased off and I'd run a minute or two and then it would come back.

Disheartened and wondering what it could be, I decided to change footwear to see if it could be that so this morning I put on a new pair with fitted insoles that I had sat at home and set off. Again, the burning feeling came back and I tried running through it but eventually slowed to a walk, it eased off and I continued with the walk, ease off, run again until I got home only this time I could run for longer periods than yesterday. Standing on the balls of my feet and lifting my toes made the shins burn too.

I'm at a loss really. I've only been running since October, usually 6-10 miles, 3-4 times a week, although the last couple of months I have been running on and off for various reasons. Still, I've been running recently and it was fine, and never had this 'burning' in my shins before, not that I can remember anyway. Also, not sure how relevant it is, but might be, I train legs in the gym on various weight machines and do squats once a week.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be and how to fix it? 

Comments

• Sounds like shin splints. 

• Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭

Agree with becky. 

How to treat:

1. Rest

2. Ice.

3. Stretch your calves out: calf tightness is apparently a very common cause of shin splints.

• Yes, I had the same problem and symptoms so I reduced distance and pace right down, and included walking. A good warm up beforehand followed by gentle stretching, then a good stretch post run. I also found calf massage helped (there are self massage videos on YouTube). 

you need to build up your distance and pace graduallallow prevent it reoccurring. 

• I'd recommend having a full two weeks off from running. Rest and Ice (for 10 minutes every 3 hours if possible). Releave the pressure but continue to do low impact activities (cross train, swim and cycle). 

The right running shoes are vital if you're suffering from shin splints, it is important your running shoes give you the right amount of cushioning and support for your weight and foot type.

• My running shoes have never been a problem whilst I have had them. My biggest concern is that it has just happened all of a sudden without anything really changing.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Muscle imbalances develop over time - suddenly it catches up with you and you get injured - yet you changed nothing during that time To cause it - very common. The imbalance is probably between shin muscles and calf muscles as others said. Stretching calf, and strengthening shins was my approach (Google shin splint toe tapping as an example of a simple strengthening exercise).

Rest, ice, nsaid initially as said above

• Does the pain persist long after your runs? is the burning on the inside or outside part of your shin? You might want to google exertional compartment syndrome if the pain is on the outside, and is relieved shortly after you stop running.

• I suffer with the same thing on the outer shin. I rested for 2 years and then it cam back a mile into my first run. I've tried iceing and rest as suggested but nothing really helps. I have juststarted having some PT sessions and my trainer says he's never known anyone with such tight calf muscles. 

I have recentlyben diagnosed ast type 2 diabetic so need to lose weight and love running so really frustrating.

• Sounds like shin splints!

From experience I can tell you that running through the pain with shin splints leads to stress fractures!   Not pleasant!

Rest!   Ice!    And if you are a girl - heels!   Yep, high heels!   The only person who is pleased when I get shin splints is my husband image

Shin splints generally occur because of the muscles that do the up/down action of the foot not being strong enough; this can occur quite suddenly!   I had to wear heels, to stop the pain, for about 4 weeks!   I was in constant agony even when sitting never mind walking.   Wearing heels is a natural (or unnatural as the case may be) to stretch your calf muscles!

I haven't suffered from them in a while, I changed just 2 things!   Got my gait checked out by a pro and bought good, expensive trainers suited to my weight, gait and trail running.   In the morning I brush my teeth for 2.30 minutes and during that time I go up on my tippy toes and down again - constantly for the 2.3 minutes.

Good Luck!