cycling speads

i was thinking during my race today...........

in running people refer to sprinting, running, jogging and walking......

but in cycling then you just say cycling.........maybe slow , or easy .......but its always cycling....

during my race today i was suprised that one mile took me 10 mins,,,the next 12 mins........and then later on on the course onme mile took me 15 mins........#

now in running then people would say a 15 min mile would be walking......

but I was cycling the whole time and not even zigzagging ...........i didn't know you could cycle that slowly before falling off sideways.....

so is their a word for cycling so slowly

Comments

• seren nos wrote (see)

i was thinking during my race today...........

in running people refer to sprinting, running, jogging and walking......

but in cycling then you just say cycling.........maybe slow , or easy .......but its always cycling....

during my race today i was suprised that one mile took me 10 mins,,,the next 12 mins........and then later on on the course onme mile took me 15 mins........#

now in running then people would say a 15 min mile would be walking......

but I was cycling the whole time and not even zigzagging ...........i didn't know you could cycle that slowly before falling off sideways.....

so is their a word for cycling so slowly

Being drunk in possession of a bicycle?

(I realise that is far more than one word!)

• I was totally sober as i was racing.......as much as you can race at 4mphimage

• and that 15 min was for a mile so at times i must have been travelling even slower than that speed to make up for the times during the mile I put a spurt on........

pedalling on the spot maybe

like staticling but its hard to pronouce image

• Unless you count some tough cross country courses or some of the new 'extreme' stuff then most running courses are runnable. If I am running not walking then my pace will vary between 7 and 12 minute miling dependant on terrain. A variance of less than 100%.

The variances in pace you mentioned: sprinting, running , jogging and walking all have a variance in posture/foot strike in my mind.

On cycling there is a 1in5 on the route home and I slow to 4mph on that. However at top speed I hit 30mph comfortably on some downhills. A variance of 750% or something. Maybe pace is much more dictated by terrain than running? There is only minor downhill benefit on running in comparison.

no answer - just thoughts

• on one stretch 3 miles in a row were all over 10 min miles.......I never get off to push but I'm sure that I would have been walking up a lot of that if I was on foot.....

meface.......in running we change our posture for the different speeds.......wonder if we would hav eto change posture on a bike if we didn't have the gears to change

• you still have sprinting in cycling, and bimbling, cruising or steady state. you have too much time to think in your races thats why you was doing 4mph image

• I was thinking on teh run.......

on the bike i was just thinking that I was going to give up triathlon for everimage

• Position changes on the bike for different speeds. Then there's standing climb, which would be my equivalent of walking I guess. 

• i don't stand up to climb as it would destroy my quadsimage

• Seren,

If we didn't have gears then it would be a single speed. Top end would be lower and we would be standing sooner. Then we would be off and walking on the steep stuff. But we do have gears thank goodness.

M..eface

• seren nos wrote (see)

on the bike i was just thinking that I was going to give up triathlon for everimage

i was thinking something similar today, i hate biking in the rain - racing or training - for me its not enjoyable and that why we do this isnt it? 50 miles of head wind is demoralising and may have had something to do with my grim outlook. but next year im definately not going longer than IM thats for sure. ironman can be blagged easy enough with a few long rides a few weeks before the big day. i dont want to do 8+ hour bike rides when i could be doing stuff with my family. my arse is sore image

• I can go slower than 4mph on a bikeimage.  And frequently do, especially up Holme Moss last week!    I can go uphill pushing the bike faster than I sometimes choose to soldier on riding it!

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

on a particularly steep road climb in Northern Thailand - with MTB gearing AND having to zig-zag to keep moving - I recorded a speed of 0.0kph for well over 15mins.  I don't think I have ever ridden that slowly without falling off.  and it was that steep some of those walking it were going slower!!  

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

When you're running, if you really can't run any more then dropping to a walk is easy enough, but  when I'm grinding up a hill on my bike, getting slower and slower, only having to unclip in order to get off and walk keeps me going.  

That and (more particularly), there's usually someone watching!

• I can't unclip on a hill or going slowly.....so if I'm going up a hill i know the only alternative to pedalling is to fall offimage