Options

Urgent.. Half marathon can I do it?

Anyways, I'm 14 160 lbs and in average shape. I have lots of free time . Ill su, it up quick. I can only run 3'k without stopping .  I Want to sign up for a 20kobstscle race in Vermont that is exactly 129 days away. Say tomoroww I start training daily and putting my all in into it, without missing a day, willi be able to run it ? This would follow with a proper nutrition stretching and strength buildind.. Let me know if I would be conditioned enough) as soon as I get word il be courageous and sign up! Worse comes to worse there is a 3 mile exit point whereas if the course is to hard and I, not prepared I can exit but will not receive the accomplishment of crossing the finish line and receiving a metal. Can I do it?image

Comments

• Options

have you checked if you are old enough.....In the uk you have to be 17 to take part in a race of 20k..

also when you say that you will run ever day without missing you are showing that you haven't looked into this very well...

to go from running 3k only to running everyday gives you a high chance of getting injured.especially if you do not listen to your body and rest the niggles before they get to injuries...

why noit start with trying to do a walk/run of 5k every other day....if after a week it feels ok.trying one just one of the days doing 7k ..then the next week build a second one to 7k.........

till after a month you have a 5k, a 7 k and a 9k........

you then can assess how you are getting on.......before deciding where to go.......then assess how you are recovering.....how much are you walking and how much are you running......

the obstacles are another feature......if its a general fun one then it shouldn't be a problem for somoene your age......

• Options

Age issues aside - 129 days is ages, so you can definitely be in shape to do it if you train sensibly.  However sensible training does *not* really include "putting your all into it and not missing a day".  You need rest days, and you need different levels of effort in your training throughout the week (with back off weeks) or you will not get the best out of it (and actively suffer) - check out any training plan for a distance race (10K, HM or Marathon) - none have you going for it every day.

• Options

Thanks a lot! It's a pretty tough course, military style. Sorry if I reposted this a lot! Minimum age is 14. What I meant is I would be not training by running everyday but alternating like 1 day 7k one day skip rope , running, abs, runnunderstating understand how the body works and not to work too hard without leaving recovery. Thanks

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Why not talk to your PE teacher and ask for their support for training etc.

• Options

i just wanted to make sure my goal is completely illogical!

• Options
    Brandon Lang wrote (see)

i just wanted to make sure my goal is completely illogical!

Don't you mean "logical"?

• Options

Err , maybe I should be in English class instead of training;) I meant "wasn't completely illogical"image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Why did you post the same thing in 3/4 places? What's the point? Are you not happy with the response?

• Options

I told you sorry if reposted. Im on a ipad with slow reception so it triple posted. I did not do it intentionally.

• Options

this new ipads are all a bit tricky to use so stick with it kid  and if everything was logical we'd all be a boring bunch......or do i mean entertaining bunch..? image

• Options

I'd advise against doing it. At 14 you will be far far better off taking part in a range of sports than focussing all your energy into a very specific event. If you feel that you want running to be your thing in the future then get down to an athletics club and hopefully a decent coach will give you the grounding you need.

• Options

Im not asking if i should do It, i'm asking if i canimage

• Options

I don't know. I would guess yes, but then I also guessed that you would take advice with grace and be thankful regardless of whether or not you agreed with it or it was a specific answer to your question, and I was wrong about that.

• Options

I never said i wasnt! thanks!

• Options

14 years old is far to young to do a half marathon and 21:48 is too late to be posting .

In my humble opinion, if I was you, I'd have a word with mummy and daddy about entrolling  at night school to brush up on your English as your  spelling is as bad as mine .

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The original waccyracer wrote (see)

14 years old is far to young to do a half marathon and 21:48 is too late to be posting .

In my humble opinion, if I was you, I'd have a word with mummy and daddy about entrolling  at night school to brush up on your English as your  spelling is as bad as mine .

I think he's actually in the US based on his OP

Brandon Lang wrote (see)

Anyways, I'm 14 160 lbs and in average shape. I have lots of free time . Ill su, it up quick. I can only run 3'k without stopping .  I Want to sign up for a 20kobstscle race in Vermont that is exactly 129 days away

• Options

Sorry, i didn't realise he was that Brandon Lang , the American football player who plays for The Eskimo's.  

or could he be someone pretending to be the world famous internet spammer called Brandon Lang?  Seems  like too much of a coincidence to me.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

There you go. Riddle solved.

• Options

14 years old is far too young to be running a half marathon on the roads (which yours isn't) and to be honest doesn't sound like a whole load of fun to do off road with obstacles which yours is!

I did a HM in 1982 when I was 13 in 1 hr 35 mins before you had to be 17 to run a HM in UK but they brought that ruling in for a reason - I have very badly deformed legs!!!image

So can you do a HM - yes

Should you do a HM - no - find some other way to test yourself - I can't help but think a 10k muddy obstacle course would be quite far enough.

• Options

Skinny Fetish Fan   maybe you should Google the name Brandon Lang and see what you come up with.

• Options

Perhaps he's used that name because he's a hero of his? He is only 14 after all.

• Options

Which Brandon Lang are we talking about Screamapillar,   the football player or the  world famous internet scammer?

• Options

The kid's American. Stands to reason he'd be into American Football.

• Options

Oh i get it screamy,  you are just having a laugh with me.  Have  you heard of the other Brandon lang ?

• Options

Another thing you may have missed Screamyapillar

when Emmy H asked him why he posted the same thing three times

he replied it was a mistake , the ipad he was on triple posted

if that is true , why is the wording different?  Surely it would post identical words?

• Options

I'm from Canada, actually;) and no, my name is brandon Lang 

• Options

If this is spamming Waccy it's pretty poor quality for a "world famous internet spammer" wouldn't you say?

I do wish you'd take your tinfoil hat off sometimes.

• Options

Brandon Lang is the name of a world famous Spammer.

Look it up Screamy because you don't seem to understand.