Camelbak - yes or no?

Hi all

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of using a Camelbak hydration pack.

I don't like running with bottles, but on longer runs could do with something to keep me going.  I've been looking at the Camelbak packs and see that some are aimed at cyclists/runners - I just wondered what people thought - are they good?  

The idea of being able to drop a gel into a pocket and have water literally on tap appeals, but I'm always sceptical of the promotional blurb and wonder if they are comfortable and practical

Thanks in advance

Comments

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

I use a Camelbak Octane on my long runs and its a fantastic bit of kit. Its lightweight and sits securely on my back without rubbing.  The side pockets are big enough to stuff full of energy gels etc.

I've used various camelbaks for years (still have one of the originals from a long time ago) when mountain biking, so it was the obvious choice for me. 

• Thanks Stutyr,  that's good to know.

I'm looking at the Classic at the moment - it looks small and doesn't cost the earth - I'm happier to pay more, but would prefer to try one out first and then upgrade later.

• I've got the camelbak octane. I am a slight female runner and find this hydration pack very useful and comfortable. It has a waist and chest strap and doesn't bounce- even when the bladder is full. On the waist strap/belt there are 2 side compartments where I store gels or jelly babies. When you fill the bladder- squeeze out the xs air before closing the seal.....this helps to prevent the "sloshing" noise of the water when you run. Another tip is when it is not in use- store the bladder in the freezer- this helps prevent mould. When you need it- pour boiling water on the water tube to dissolve any ice that may have formed. If you are going to buy a camelbak: I strongly recommend a one with a chest and waist strap. I had a cheaper version and it only had a chest strap: it bounced when I ran.

• I have the Classic 2l version at the moment and love it. Sits comfortably on the back, has room for gels and small mobile phone etc. I also like the little strap that goes across the chest, keeps it all really secure. For around the £40 mark you really can't go wrong. 

• Thanks, that's really useful - interesting about the waist strap as I don't think the Classic has one - will have a look at the Octane as both of you have mentioned it now.

Thanks for the tips on storing too - will come in useful

• Thanks Tel

What do you make of the need for a waist strap as Bambi suggests - do you have  a problem with bouncing?  I had been looking at the 2l Classic

• You're correct, there is no waist strap on the classic Phil, it goes across the chest and stops the shoulder straps slipping off your shoulders. I had an old camelbak and used to have to hang my thumbs in the straps to stop it slippling off. The addition of the chest clip on the new one is brilliant. Size wise, I am probably the polar opposite of Bambi and to be honest I've never had a problem with it bouncing.

• They are a good bit of kit, but generally unnecessary for anything shorter than ultra distance. 

• UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

I've got a wonen's Charm one...had it for years but think it's a smaller version of the classic. It's great for long runs when all you need is a drink a somewhere to pop a phone, keys and money. Definitely recommend it.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I have a camelback octane too, I don't use it that often but I used on Saturday for a trail race. You can geway lot into it if necessary- hat,gloves, jacket etc

i get a bit fed up with all the loose straps and cords, they can be very annoying if they work free.Properly adjusted though, I don't notice the camelback at all. I find the belt pockets a bit small what fits in them would fit as easily into a chest pocket and be more accessible. 

but the principle of a hydration pack is good, you can sip the water and not break your rhythm, and you should be able to find one that fits comfortably. 

• I've got a camelback marathoner - I only use it on runs of over ~15 miles or ~2 1/2 hours, under that I don't bother with water (unless it is blazing hot).  Very comfortable as long as it is relatively tight so it doesn't bounce.

• I have the Camelbak Rogue, don't use it often as (until now) rarely run over 10 miles, no waist strap but a big enough back poctet for jacket, phone etc and 2 litres of water. On my first run with it I had my first (and only) case of joggers nipple, probably caused because the shoulder straps restricted shirt movement? Got some lube now and not had the problem again image

I'll probably use it on my first Marathon as I can't drink from cups when running and don't fancy carrying a bottle.

• Looked at these, but for a bit of extra storage for longer runs and trails I went for an OMM Last Drop and a 2l bladder. Not too expensive.

• I use a Camelback FlashFlo.  It's a waist pack, rather than a back pack.  With the reservoir full (1.5l I think?), it's big enough to carry a few energy bars, keys, phone and a small waterproof.

I find it comfortable enough, although I've never used a backpack so have nothing to compare it to.

I do think that I'm going to have replace it with a backpack before long though, as it's probably only any good for anything up to marathon distance (given the compact size of it), and I'm starting to go beyond that now.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

+1 with Flashflo (it's 1.4l btw)

as for longer than a marathon use Pudge - many ultras have filling up stations so may not need to worry about carrying more (which is extra weight anyway).  

• One piece of kit that I really recommend. Much better than any bottle belts.
  • fat buddha wrote (see)

+1 with Flashflo (it's 1.4l btw)

as for longer than a marathon use Pudge - many ultras have filling up stations so may not need to worry about carrying more (which is extra weight anyway).  

It wasn't so much the water issue FB, it was more the fact that a lot of the ultras I've looked at require you to carry certain levels of kit (waterproofs, maps, kitchen sink etc) that just wouldn't fit in the Flashflo.

I'm doing my first 50k next month, and I do intend to use the Flashflo, as the kit list isn't as strict, but for longer stuff I was looking at maybe getting one of the Solomans.

Suggestions/recommendations welcome...

• Bambi - thanks for that useful tip on storing the hydration bladder.  I had to replace mine recently as the tube was full of that pink mould when I took it out to use it after several months.  I did wonder how you got round that problem.  I'll be putting the new one in the freezer tonight. image

• I've recently bought a Decathalon version of a Camelbak as I was planning on using it on long runs in the summer with an electrolyte tablet in. However washing it out before first use I realised how difficult it was to rinse it out properly!

Any top tips, or am I best to stick to just water in it for ease of cleaning?

• Black And Tabby wrote (see)

I've recently bought a Decathalon version of a Camelbak as I was planning on using it on long runs in the summer with an electrolyte tablet in. However washing it out before first use I realised how difficult it was to rinse it out properly!

Any top tips, or am I best to stick to just water in it for ease of cleaning?

Try filling it with water and then pop an alkaseltzer in, or any tablet that fizzes (such as those for cleaning dentures). My mum taught me this - it's also great for cleaning jewellery, especially rings and stuff with knobbly bits you can't get to!

• Petite Canarie wrote (see)
    Try filling it with water and then pop an alkaseltzer in, or any tablet that fizzes (such as those for cleaning dentures). My mum taught me this - it's also great for cleaning jewellery, especially rings and stuff with knobbly bits you can't get to!

Fab - thank you!

• Thanks all.

I think the consensus is fairly resounding!  I think I'll get myself one.  I generally don't bother with anything while running up to 10 miles, but with the (hopefully) hotter weather coming in, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have something to hydrate with while out and I can't be doing with bottle belts.

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

I always soak my bottles and things in Milton to kill anything, I think the biggest problem is if you ever have protein based drinks in them.

B.T.W - A drop of gin or vodka is great for cleaning diamond rings.

B.T.W - A drop of gin or vodka is great for cleaning diamond rings.

I'll have to persuade somebody to buy me a diamond ring so I check the gin/vodka method in that case

• Another vote for the camelbak octane xct. I managed to pack jacket, trousers, survival bag, first aid kit, hat, phone, gels, flapjacks and a 300g sachet meal in mine, oh yes and 3L of water too! A bargain at 50 squids image

No need for freezing the poor thing image just empty (bladder and tube) and hang upside down with filling cap off till completely dry. Been using mine for about 3yrs on and off and had no problems.

• I use a camelbak classic 2L on long runs over about 1:40 .. It doesn't have a chest strap but it really doesn't need one.. I attach the tube across my chest and hook it to the other side. Great for carrying a snack and keys/change/phone for those long runs too.

After experimenting with waist packs (don't like them as they do not sit still) and aa running back pack(which I use if I need to carry extra clothes).. The camelbak is the best option. 

• Chris.52Chris.52 ✭✭✭

I have a Tesco one - 1.5 l water and 4.5 l of other stuff. Chest & waist strap, £16 I think. Very comfortable indeed.

• I too have tesco one,fine to wear but rchart ops that Iam wearing and makes them hobble,do you get this on camelback

• Well, after some shopping around, I've taken the plunge and having found an Octane for only £12 more than I was originally expecting to pay for the classic, I've gone for this.  Order placed and dispatched so am looking forward to trying it out.  Unfortunately, it probably won't be until next weekend as I won't get a long one run in before then.  Looking at the weather, if this holds up, then I think I might be glad to have it

• May be useful to wear it over a shorter run in order to ensure it fits correctly and fiddle around with straps etc before you find it sawing into your arm 12 miles away from home.