Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Back2basicsBack2basics ✭✭✭

just checked the weather for saturday....YES! 12 hours of solid rain wooooo!

• B2B -Sure you said but whats the name of the event ?

I fell exhausted just typing that let alone run it !!

ha ha ha its the north downs way 50, hang on ill a link.....

http://www.centurionrunning.com/north-downs-way-50-2013/ndw50/

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Have you got your kit all sorted B2B?

5 miles for me today slowish first 3 miles into the wind and then a two mile tempo run - ie with the wind behind. - speedwork tomorrow - may do the pyramid session or 20 times 1 minute. Watch this space.

• B2B - That's sounds and looks fun would love to do something like that one day but alas I wouldn't even meet the entry standards just now !!

Grendel I even got overtaken by the Wombles last time I done London !! Bet you thought you were de hydrating and were hallucinating when you saw the pink Panther (who obviously came from Durham, Durham Durham Durham Durham)

Gammineez - looks like fun that run

Well, I am sitting here feeling mega guilty at not going out. I am obsessed by Stats and love to see the miles going into the training book. But I don't want to overdo it -the biggest week I have had on this comeback is 16 so will equal that this week

I also get bored of routes very easily and am trying to find another route that doesn't include loops or massive hills !! Oh I cant wait to get back to the seafront. Running down is no problem its the getting up !!

Whos got a garmin and what model - wouldn't mind getting one as obviously there lots of nice running here but difficult to measure without a GPS

Lastly - you may enjoy this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7jNLVszR2A

• Just watched that documentary

Not to give too much away but its mostly about the ordinary runners. I so want to do another one - will either be London or I think Edinburgh. Loch Ness seems to Hilly for me - maybe as my second if I am lucky

Yep all sorted grendel! 

3.30 - I really think you would be able to do an ultra...2 years and you could do a 50! Just work up to a marathon then keep it up for a bit... easy!image

• When you put it like that sound easy ..... !!!image

Good luck mate cant wait to hear the tale !!

Simples! ha ha ha well lets see how I get on trying to blag this one, that statement might change image

Sorry 3:30 I didnt actually tell you anything about watches! Ive got the Garmin foreunner 110 its relatively cheep and just has basic stuff on it. Time, distance, current pace. The rest is all done once you plug it in to get your map and splits.You can get a heart rate monitor attachment for it but I have no idea what to do with one of them!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

+ 1 for the Garmin 110 - (also got a garmin 205 forerunner - which has all the buttons and bows on it - don't use much of them)

Nearly baled out on my run this morning, the wind was horrendous - the sand was whipping up from the beach not enjoyable at all - ended up not doing the pyramid session just 20 times a minute off a minute recovery - tried to run with the wind as much as possible - feel shattered now though, legs protesting a bit!!!!

Oh well happy days

• B2B,  Grendel - Thanks lads, will go for that  mate seems to have all I need. Remember when they were great big things lol !!

Oh one thing - is the pace element constant ie can you see the current pace your running or is that only displayed at the end ?

Grendel - well done for braving the elements. I am defo out tonight I have never been more determined to do another marathon. Spent all morning trying to work out a new route but seems only solution is the seafront.

Suppose I could run down along the seafront walk back

Current pace, but it isn't major accurate on the fly. For example if you stop for a rest your current pace will drop, once you are on the move again it could take half a mile to a mile to show the right pace again as it equals out. Its a little off putting to start with but after a few runs you only check it every now and then anyway.

Once you plug it in its a whole different story, more stats than you can throw a stick at!

• B2B that's great do you have to get the free software off the net for downloading stuff?

Sounds good. The important bit is the distance so I can follow my nose so to speak. See it gives average pace at the end of the run anyway. Now where did I put that credit card .....

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

B2B you techy wizard - that explains something I had puzzled over - runninh my intervals this morning I seemed to be running hard and yet Mr Garmin said I was doing about 12 minute miling - so in a minute interval it doesn't show the actual speed.image

3:30 nope it just takes you to the garmin site and you set up a profile! image

Grendel - nope! I would say there wasn't enough distance traveled in that minute for it to recalculate your actual speed. I dare say the more expensive ones are probably a lot more accurate and have interval training in mind. The 110 is best for just mapping and running, make sure you do the same route a few times 3:30 and then take an average between then as again its not always the most accurate of beasts.

I got a tweet today to say that the live timing gizmo is up on the site for this weekend, I shall be attempt to tweet as well using #ndw50 as the site can be really  really slow! If you want to follow the site then please go here...

http://www.centurionrunning.com/live/2013-ndw50-live/

or follow me here...

https://twitter.com/cardiosaurus

or just have a search for #ndw50

Time for some sleep now as I dont think I will be getting to much in the next few days!!! 

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzyMwrm_oNU

Above is another link this in in three parts but you can pick up the other 2 from this one.

Starts off with a non runner 16 stone heavy drinker and smoker attempting to train for 2 years to get a qualifying time for the 2012 Olympic marathon.

B2B thanks and I will have a look to see your progress !!

Another 4 miles for me albeit on another route.

2013 - 73.4

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Thans B2B - I will go back to the old Garmin for my intervals, that always seemed a lot more accurate. 

3:30 - Alex Vero used to 'blog' on here when he was trying to do that time - he never did do it, but he went from 16 odd stone to a pretty decent standard - not sure if he did eventually run sub 2:30 - BUT and here is the strange thing - the posters on this site were very critical of him for some strange reason - maybe because he had the temerity to want to run fast, rather than just plod round.  But his story (and lets not forget he was actually a docmentary maker for TV) is quite inspirational.

Will have to have a watch later of all three parts as it may help me get off my a*se and train.

5 miles run this morning, and I felt absolutely shattered - may need to change my diet a bit and get in more pasta and rice.

morning peeps! Feel quite refreshed today after having curly kale for dinner yum yum yum!

Packed full of yummy stuff and its really easy to do! Wok on with some oil (olive or coconut) chop up some chili and garlic, chuck it in the pan for about 30 seconds, Kale in and step back so it doesn't spit at you! Give it a little chuck about, add pepper and some salt, chuck it about a bit more then pop a lid on it and let it sweat down a little. BOSH! Job done! Back of the net! erm....its ready? image

• Grendel - what name did he post under would like to have a look back.

Yes really inspirational Documentary and interesting about the Ethiopian. 

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I can't find the thread now - here is a link to a thread he started in his own name http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/marathon-running-documentary-on-channel-4/151311.html -

Not sure if he originally posted in that name or a pseudonym.

I shall catch up on the youtube links as I love all that jazz!

• Anyone got anymore links for anything put them up like B2B love all that stuff !

Grendel - Some scathing comments on there!! I enjoyed it immesnsly. I must admit I was hoping there would be more detail of the actual training schedule and plan but all in all a very enjoyable documentary

The boy done good but getting that tear in his Achilles before London must have been a complete bummer !!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I know - I don't think he ever thought he had a chance but what he tried to do was to change his lifestyle and go as far as he could - he obvioulsy went a long long way -

Will watch that you tube programe later -

• Fascinating concept though. He really done well

I would love to be able to take say a year to train and have the coaching he did see where it would take me.

I believe even now at 54 I should be capable of a 3.30 marathon - I know where I went wrong before and that was simply not enough miles and hard work and virtually no speed work

Ah well back out for another 4 tonight !!

My Earth Runner sandals arrived! image yay!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

know where I went wrong to - to many miles and not enough rest - I thought I did X:XX on 70-75 miles per week - imagine what I could do on 100+. Looking back I have gradually come to realise where my success came from. It wasn't speedwork or diet - it was hard long runs with a good training group - Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday tended to be hard runs - Basically Hilly Tempo runs. In all our club runs, it was the person who felt the freshest who dictated the pace - we didn't wait for anyone - if you couldn't keep up then you got left behind. Runs started easy and gradually sped up,  sub 6 minute miles was the norm towards the end of runs. That included the 20 milers we did over the north downs in Kent and Hainault Forest in Essex. All my other runs were "gentle" runs minute milers - What you don't tend to see nowadays, given the popularity of running, is large groups of runners out on a sunday morning - oh well reminiscence over - (I am feeling like Uncle Albert there "During the War"

B2B - Yay!!!!

• Looking back on my old records even when I done my PB at London in 1999 3.42, my biggest week was 45 miles but most averaged mid 30's so nowhwere near enough

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Possibly Stamina may have been the problem

Speed is and area that I cant really help with....see Grendel fountain of nearly all knowledge! image I could learn a lot from you guys on the speed training side as I've never really done any