Overcoming General Fatigue

Does anybody else seem to get bouts of fatigue for no apparent reason? That probably soudn really vaigue and I am not referring to dizziness or anything like that. I mean, one week you are running well and feeling really good and then the following week you just feel like there is no spring in your step and your legs & arms feel weak?

I get this "dip in form" every now and then and have tried to analyse the reasons - am I just tired after races? did I over-train last week? did i have anything particularly stressful ime consuming to do etc etc but there never seems to be a pattern.

Last week I all of a sudden started to feel tired. The best way to explain it is that my legs and arms felt hollow and my feet werent springing off the road - they felt like they were flat and slapping the floor.

I dont know whether I need to rest or continue as normal and hope I reclaim my normal energystrength levels. I have some races coming up so I want to overcome this tiredness.

Thanks - Robbie

Comments

• MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭

Hi Robbie

This is why the typical advice is follow a hard run with an easier/recovery run.

Reduce mileage every fourth week.

Rest is part of your training.

Eat sufficient carbo to fuel your training. Food is energy. Iron levels especially ladies.

These are basic rules but people forget them or never pay any heed until the wheels come off.

Core fitness is worth looking into though it is a bother for some. This helps your upper body cope with your running and helps your running because your upper body will not tire so easily. Also consider how often your arms may swing back and forth during a 10K and how weak arms might spoil the effort your strong, well trained legs are giving. Running uses and will tire the whole body not just your legs!

I would start by taking a week off to rest and look into nutrition. When starting again try following some of the above with shorter runs than you normally do and build up again using the 10% rule. This suggests increasing mileage by no more than 10% a week.

• Thank you very much! That is really helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to respond! I will definitely use this as a turning point in my overall training!

I have been keeping a record of my training and upon reflection I don't think I actually do any recoveryeasier runs. I tend to do a tough "efforts session" once a week followed by several runs of the same distance (8 - 12k's)

I am running 10k's at 40mins now and 1/2M's at 1hr32 and I know I can take even more time off and go sub 40mins and sub 90 mins.

I also have to admit my diet needs attention and I am looking into this.

This has been so helpful! Thanks once again!

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I am going through it at the moment..... had a busy spring.... now my get up and go has got up and gone.... very frustrating.... but as above I take iron and this seems to help. But I have done a bit more on the bike and scaled back the running and I am feeling a bit more like it again.

I am not too sure how to manage this, but keeping the training ticking over rather than stopping all together seems to work. Even the best sports-people do not seem to be 100% fit 100% of the time.

I often think a blood test would be useful; but getting one and knowing how to interpret the result(s) would cost money. This should flag up over training, low iron etc

Try different things, diet, training/resting plans, see what works