Looking for winter 20M or 30K race

I've signed up for Brighton marathon next year at the start of April, and I'd like to do a 20M or 30K event, ideally about 3-4 months beforehand. However, I can't find anything! Anyone have an event they could recommend?

I'm aware of some events in Feb/Mar, but that's too close (for me) to be thinking of racing 3/4 marathon distance.  

Comments

• Events of this type tend to be either in Spring or Autumn, because this is the optimum time of year temperature wise. 

I do know of a few trail races of the 15 mile persuasion, around November/February time. 

There is also the issue of how far you would be willing to travel. 

• There's a 20 mile race in Bury St Edmunds scheduled to serve as prep for the London marathon.  Does that work geographically for you?

Details of the 2013 race at http://pacers.org.uk/pacers/pages/tarpley10-2013.shtml - too early for info on 2014.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

There's a 20 mile race in March somewhere north-west of London.

• I'm a little perplexed by you wanting to avoid the 'usual' Spring marathon warm ups (Surrey Spitfire and Cranleigh 21 spring immediately to mind).  You might find the LDWA have something- there's the Gatliff Marathon (which isn't a marathon) in November or the Winter Tanners, but these are not going to be remotely like the conditions at Brighton. 

• I'm based in London, so somewhere in the southern half of Britain would be good image

Tarpley is in range, thanks Peronel, but Feb is later than I was hoping for.

November to January is what I was thinking of, December ideal. But a 15-miler in Nov could work for me, Ben. I'd really like to race beyond a half marathon at some point before the marathon.

• Ferrous, Gatliff looks v interesting, thanks. 35K in November might do the trick for me!

My problem with the warm-ups is that they work as long training efforts near the time, but I'd like to try one I can race that I'd need a good amount of time to recover from.

• OK Lunchtime Runner, you do have options, they are just trail races. 

As others have said, most of the 20 mile road races are around March, so that they would occur towards the end of a training plan for the London Marathon. 

There is a nice 15.7 mile November trail race in Leicestershire, called the Seagrave Wolds Challenge. 

There is another Leicestershire trail event in February called the Belvoir Challenge, with 15 and 26 mile options. 

The Winter Tanners takes place in Surrey in January, and has 20 and 30 mile options. 

The Punchbowl Marathon also takes place in Surrey, this time in February, and has a 20 mile option.   

These races provide a different type of running experience to the road races you are working on, but they are excellent value for money, and usually provide good cakes. 

• Lots for me to chew on there, Ben and others. Much appreciated.