Garmin Swim Problems

I bought a Garmin swim watch a couple of weeks ago and since have not been able to get any usable data out of the thing.  I can't keep count and niether can it,  A search of the net has brought up a whole raft of people having problems but a search on here has brought up nothing. 

Does anyone have experience of this bit of kit?  Are there issues with the 910xt as well?

Comments

• Flat FootedFlat Footed ✭✭✭

I got my 910 last feb when it came out and other then adding the odd lap its been fine. Have you checked it has the most up to date software from the garmin connect site?

• I find that if you suddenly change stroke mid length (e.g. if you catch a slow swimmer in front of you) or if you stop at the end & move it a bit vigorously then it will add a length.

No other issues!!

• In the pool, mine skips maybe one length in a 1 hour session - unusual to be anything more than that.

• jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭

I did FF, it should tell you when you connect if anything needs updating but nothing came up.  I think I just have a dud.  It's adding in about 50% more laps than I'm actually doing and with each swim it's getting less accurate.  Back to Wiggle I think.

It started off maybe adding one or two laps and the rest was ok but as I've swum further it's got to the point where in a 20+ lap session only one or two laps have been recorded correctly and I'm not they're correct even then.  On the upside it does say I've managed to swim a 12 second 50m so it's not all bad.

• Maybe you're just swimming too fast for it... image

• Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

I'm just about to order one of these so interested to hear the feedback. A bit wary of the if you get behind a slow swimmer because in a crowded pool that can happen a few times. Anyone know how it compares to the swimovate? My swim coach has asked for info on my stroke count and speed at different cadence and I can't count all that. Plus I like gadgets so never had a better excuse. 

hmmmm - I'd also have to faff at the end of a length to change the tempo on my tempo trainer which might muck the thing up loads. Suppose I'd have to press stop?

SD, Before you order I would do a google search under the title Garmin Swim problems.  It seems that what I am getting is not untypical for some users and that Garmin are aware but not really doing much.  I only looked at wiggle reviews before I ordered and they were generally positive. 

Lol, TG that could be it although the fact that I'm being overtaken by octogenarian breast strokers (don't go there) in the slow lane would suggest otherwise.

Thanks jellly bean - just googled and think I'll go for the swimovate. image

• I've had a swimovate pool mate and it is a childs toy compared with what the 910XT does.

I ended up using my poolmate a handful of times because it was so un-user friendly in both usage and readability.   The 910XT revolutionised my swimming and does pace, distance, stroke count, stroke length and lots of other Swim metrics that I don't understand, and it uploads to Training Peaks and Garmin Connect.

From my experience, the pool mate skipped the odd length here and there, as does the Garmin. 

JB - have you gone back to Garmin support?  I had terminal issues with my 310XT a few years ago and even though it was out of warranty they still replaced it.  You shouldn't be getting the issues you're describing.

The 910 looks great but its a bit pricey. I'm not too sure about swimovate either looking at the reviews so I've opted for a waterproof sports watch with a clear time/lap display and sticking to pen and paper for stroke count at the pool side.  Simples. image

Edit - I know that won't count laps on a long swim but thats not what I want it for and I can use the lap counter every 100m anyway, which is what I do now by swapping over wrist bands. 

I think I'm going off technology! image 

• I have the garmin swim watch and i find it excellwnt.

Yep it does add the occaosional extra length, but its way more accurate than my cpunting image

TG, having read the reviews I passed on the swimovate for the very reasons you mention.  From what I've read the 910xt doesn't work in quite the same way as the Swim (DC Rainmaker review I think) , it may be the 910xt is a more reliable piece of kit.  I will try Garmin support but from what I've read they are not being very helpful on this. 

• PapermanPaperman ✭✭✭

I would agree with the others - if you end up doing a crash stop because you've just hit someone's feet, it can get confused on counting that length, but for standard hammering up and down I don't think I've missed a length yet. And my style is a very long way from perfect!

If yours isn't producing that sort of reliability, then I'd send it back for a replacement - I'm guessing you just got a dud.

I telephoned Garmin Support last Thursday and they recommended that I reset the watch which I did.  Got back in the pool today and swam 2x200.....result-2x350.

A dud I think but I'll give them another call.  I can get back in the pool this afternoon if need be.

If you look up rainmaker/rainman can't remember his name but he does in depth reviews on the 910 and he does recommend what you should do at the end of a length for it to be most accurate. Don't have a problem with mine though sometimes it counts less. I can tell because some lengths have taken twice the time. Have used it open water a couple of times and it keeps saing it's lost sattelite reception. Weird!!

Other than that I love it. I lose count after about 5 lengths on my own

Update.  Wiggle replaced the unit and so far at least in a 50m pool it's been spot on.  Although it does think I'm doing backstroke?  I'm not sure that effects the stats though.image