Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Nice one hales image

Shielsy - Lochaber sounds like a good one - was it Mandie that did that one year?

• Vixx - I can't remember if Mandie did that one, but it gets really good reviews.  Not sure if they're running it this October though.

• In fact, ignore me ... the marathon is in April, sorry  image

• Is ok - can plan for next year image

• Did my 4.35 miles in 58:44 tonight, my best time yet!! However I felt rather ill 3/4 of the way round, I hadn't eaten all day so ate about an 45 mins before I went out, running that soon after food doesn't agree with me I think!! 

• No, it doesn't for me either hales! I usually have a small glass of OJ if I haven't eaten for a while before going out for a run and make sure I have something for when I get back.

• More insanity to report- I did my 3rd race in 3 days. It was the 3 mile Sri Chinmoy in Oxford.  At the start we were trying to decide whether sunglasses were the order of the day.  By 1/2 mile we were running into horizontal hail (a bit chilly in shorts and vestimage) which stopped after about 3mins and then sun came out again!  Now where were those sunnies??  For some strange reason I was 40secs slower than last year image....

• i think id be better trying oj Vixx, but I'd not eaten a all today so really had to eat!!

im getting rather annoyed with this great run app, it keeps kicking me out!!

• Well done OS! image Did the hail or the sunshine slow you down. I have just stayed indoors tonight, what with most of Manchester being clogged up....

Hales - was it an impromptu run, or planned? If planned, maybe have a snack around 4pm to let it digest before you go out?

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Wow, OS, three in three days?  Sounds like some nasty conditions, we had similar and I wimped out and went to the gym for a treadmill run... (which I've decided I really dislike now- used to enjoy the gym, but last night it just felt noisy, hot and boring)

Hales, I ran with an app for a long time, but it really annoyed me as the GPS reception was not good at all and kept miscalculating my distance image  Ended up buying a garmin running watch and cannot recommend it enough - for the sake of £100 I have a pretty accurate record of time, speed, distance, elevation and all the rest of it - interesting, motivating and really helpful when guageing pace for longer runs!

Vixx, I am doing Kielder this year... hopefully they will be so frantically worried about making another mistake that it will be brilliant...

• Morning all image

Well I for one won't be running the MOTN again. The distance error doesn't affect me too much as I'm never going to be GFA or anything and I have the Yorkshire Marathon in October - but it is very shabby image. I didn't think much to the course - lots of turning round cones and a couple of times I had to ask the marshal 'Is it that way?' After running 18+ miles in windy conditions with hills and a bit of rain thrown in I am hardly the best at sussing out directions.

Got a local 10K tonight and guess what, forecast is for more wain and wind...

Hope everyone is okay image

• RtG - I too got Yorkshire in October and looking forward to it alot as run by the people who run the Jane Tomlinson runs and they always good.

• with all you lot talking about the Parkruns I have decided to join the community as I have just founs out about the one local to me after a mate of mine ran it last week - it takes in the bit of the River I run along in my long runs so I think I know it well. Funninly enough the other one in Kent at Whitstable also takes in another one of my long run routes.

• spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Good luck with the 10k Rtg.

I had my first venture into the world of Bootcamp last night and boy was it tough,never felt like that since basic training many moons ago.1hr and 20 mins of hell is the best way to describe it and I'm aching in places I didnt know existed5 miles planned for tonight and hopefully no more Hail.

BP, sure you'll love the parkrun, just wish my shifts would let me do more.

• My logic is I can join in anywhere in country if I am away at weekends which I seem to be more and more.

• OS - Well done on the 3 races, I'm tired just thinking about it.

Sponge - I thought of doing a bootcamp to help my fitness levels improve but I had to console myself that the one I have been recommended is a bit too far away from me to be practical and any other excuses I can come up with.image Good luck with the 5 miler tonight.

Bearstead - enjoy your parkrun, I think they're great.

RtG - Good luck with the 10K.

Do female physio's count as girls? My one was working my IT band the other day and I really wanted to hit her to make her stop. My leg is still aching now, but it is making a difference. I was able to run 6 miles the other day, the furthest I have run in ages, with a lot less pain and discomfort than I have had in a long time.

• lfc - yes they do and I know what you mean about the pain I had it done earlier in year - a female friend of mine said she had had it done and it only ranked second in pain stakes behind giving birth (she did say it was only half the pain but the closest men will get to that pain)

• Don't get me started about the whole men don't know what it's like with the pain of childbirth thing. If it's so bad, why do they do it again? I get kicked in the nuts, I NEVER want that to happen again. imageimage

• Best of luck with your 10k RtG!  Sorry to hear about the windy conditions.  I've now resigned myself to the fact that it's just going to be windy every single day from now on, as that's what seems to be happening.  In the same way that we all eventually resigned ourselves to the rain last year image.

I agree - I won't be doing the MOTN (or any of the other Sunderland events) again after the shabby treatment this year.  I'm so jealous of everyone with a number for York - wish I'd opted for that one instead when I had the chance, but I though I'd be loyal to my region ... image.  However I'm hoping to get to York for that weekend if work allows ... my brother and sis-in-law live really near the university so I want to come and support all my friends running.

• It would be great to see you there Shielsy

• *pops in*

Vixx - Me and Steve have done Lochaber twice. if you don't mind the trek up there then I'd definately recommend it. It's as flat as a marathon can be (if I remember rightly its highest point was only 10m above sea level). Its an out and back course with stunning views of Ben Nevis to take your mind off the pain when you are heading back and very friendly and well organised.

Only flicked through the last few pages so sorry for the lack of comments on how people are getting on, but i had to chuckle at LFC asking if female physios counted as girls!!!

lfc,why didnt I think of that excuseimage

Just realised i forgot to pick my number up for Blaydon so hope it doesnt get lost in the post.

• Just done a speed session on Treadmill which turned out to be a 'speed tempo' session - did 5km at 4:10min/km which meant sub 21min 5km - even taking into account easier on treadmill that is still quick for me - and I felt so good during and at end. maybe that sub 43min 10km on bank holiday Monday is looking possible

• I find the treadmill harder, but that's some good going Bearsted! I reckon you are ON for sub 43 image

• Well done BP!

Went out and did 7 miles myself after work in the ... wait for it ... sunshine!!! image

Rather enjoyed it. Passed a bloke who was in my class at secondary school (out running himself) who I used to have a schoolgirl crush on . Was quite amused cos while he was really sporty back then and I ... really wasn't, I ran past him all smiles whilst he looked knackered.

• Shielsy - nice one image Always good when something like that happens image

Mandie - I have looked at the Lochaber website - I was hoping they'd have some good scenic photos, but no image

Did you take any? I think I am drawn more to the scenic races at the moment. I just want to see beautiful scenery and sights!

• Madbee wrote (see)

Wow, OS, three in three days?  Sounds like some nasty conditions, we had similar and I wimped out and went to the gym for a treadmill run... (which I've decided I really dislike now- used to enjoy the gym, but last night it just felt noisy, hot and boring)

Its worse than you think Madbee!  I did another 5k race this evening, and because Shielsy had stolen all the sunshine, we did the whole thing in the pouring rain.  But I'm going cold turkey now with no race til the BUPA 10k in 13 days timeimage.  I think I equalled my PB so I'm happy

• lfc runner wrote (see)

Don't get me started about the whole men don't know what it's like with the pain of childbirth thing. If it's so bad, why do they do it again? I get kicked in the nuts, I NEVER want that to happen again. imageimage

lfc - that's because nothing positive comes from being kicked in the nuts image