ITB Inury 3 weeks before marathon

Hi guys,

I started having some pains on the outside of my left knee during a long run a few weeks ago. I have rested for 2 weeks and tried a long run again yesterday (my last one before Edinburgh). Again the uncomfortable feeling and then eventually the pain started at around mile 13.

I can feel something moving around the side of my knee when i flex, so i guessed it must be ITB.

Any tips on what I can do to get me through the marathon? Have ordered a foam roller and will ice. Have also booked in a physio appointement. I just really want to be able to get through to the finish.

Cheers, P

Comments

• Thanks nick, have managed tot run a marathon with the condition? what was it like?

• theres a good article and blog here

http://www.running-physio.com/itbs/

In short - try getting some squats and side lying leg raises in to strengthen the gluteal muscles.

Could also be worsened by over striding? try to keep your steps short and fast

Ive suffered with it during a couple of marathons - its possible but not fun and requires ibuprofen - Definitely not recommended.

• thanks J.

The link is really useful- i'll see what the physio prescribes and also do lots of stetching/rollering.

Ho far along the route did it really start to hit you during the marathons- I can imagine getting through the last 6 with the pain but not 13/14 miles!!

• Hmmm well its happened on a couple of occassions, probably somewhere in the teen miles but cant fully remember. Theres not much you can do when it hits - walk for a bit, try to push your fingers into the pain and massage some of it away. Painkillers will mask it a bit. You can also buy straps - but I never really got them to work.
    All not really advisable!

Prevention is better than cure. I think mine was down to my pelvis rocking too much, so just lazy form. Squats etc seem to have tidied it up a bit.

• I had the exact same problem weeks before I ran the Manchester marathon. I saw a physio who gave me some stretches to do.  I iced it loads and took ibroprofen to take swelling down but the one thing I would def recommend is a foam roller.  There's loads of videos on youtube to show you how to do it.  I managed to get through the marathon without any pain so it can be done if you put the time into getting it right.  Good luck! 

• mrpmills wrote (see)

Hi guys,

I started having some pains on the outside of my left knee during a long run a few weeks ago. I have rested for 2 weeks and tried a long run again yesterday (my last one before Edinburgh). Again the uncomfortable feeling and then eventually the pain started at around mile 13.

I can feel something moving around the side of my knee when i flex, so i guessed it must be ITB.

Any tips on what I can do to get me through the marathon? Have ordered a foam roller and will ice. Have also booked in a physio appointement. I just really want to be able to get through to the finish.

Cheers, P

I had identicle yesterday. Pain in outer left knee, ongoing for a while, feels okay after a few days rest, do short distances is okay, but do more pain is awful, like i have been hit with a sledge hammer. Couldnt even bend my knee hardly. Next day, aches, but can get around...

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

It wouldnt hurt to see a physio so that they can help you stretch and massage the area or the area around it.  Foam rollers are also good.  If you need one asap, they sell them in argos.  Good luck.