RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Everything else is fine all things considered, my left knee is a little achey but I put that down to the odd running style I had to adopt. Energy and aches wise I have got away quite lightly, it is just the occassional twinge deep within my buttock now.

The best part of it all is that my undoing was such a random mishap that I can't sit here overanalysing it. The running Gods gaveth and the running Gods taketh away yesterday but overall I feel really enthused about it all still. Not bad for a guy who was contemplating sleeping in a bush at about 1 o'clock yesterday image

• Great to read your race and after race reports oirish, get some good rest for a few days and don't forget to get your back looked at if its still giving you problems in a few days.

My run yesterday was a little lighter than yours, went for a 10mile at steady 8min/mile pace. Think I may do my tempo this eve depending how my Achilles feels. should I be looking at 3-4 miles at 10k pace? Is it better to do a half or mile warm up first? Or can i go straight into it?

• Sorry - I've been mega-busy moving house and of course the new gaff doesn't yet have broadband so struggling to get online.

Oirish - sounds like a nightmare. Well done for toughing it out and not giving up. Any sub 4 time is very reasonable.

This seems to be the thread of bad luck...... image

• Well done O - good to see you're philosophical about it.  These things happen in marathon running, you didn't do anything wrong and there's nothing you could have done about it.  It could easily have been stepping on a drinks bottle, someone tripping you, or (if you watched VLM) someone in a wheelchair taking you out.  Just one of those things, but you still finished in a very decent time, so move on to the next one.

• Well that's my tempo done... 4miles, splits of 7.01, 6.42, 7.12, 7.18 second mile was slightly downhill with the wind at my back, mile 3 was going back up the slope straight into the wind then mile 4 was only at pace for the first half.  Hardly a consistent pace throughout but I'd say a faiso consistent effort throughout.

• Well Oirish hows your ass today image

Great to see everyone so motivated after a mixed bag of fortunes recently!

Andrew I would have said take a mile warm up before launching into tempo pace but everyone is different I suppose. Tempo pace I would have thought should be slower than 10k pace by maybe 10-20 secs p/mile? Spoons will be along soon to clarify I expect. Those are a rapid set of splits - well done.

I ventured out this evening for my first run proper after my marathon a week ago. I have to say the legs felt great and I felt fresher than I have felt in weeks!

Ran a 6 mile progressive pace tempo run in the wind & at one point a downpour! Splits:

8:24 (w/up); 7.58; 7:47; 7:33; 7:18; 7:12

Only negative was my groin strain is still nagging a little after having disappeared over last few days. Funny thing was when I finished the run & stretched it has all but gone again.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Well done O - good to see you're philosophical about it.  These things happen in marathon running, you didn't do anything wrong and there's nothing you could have done about it.  It could easily have been stepping on a drinks bottle, someone tripping you, or (if you watched VLM) someone in a wheelchair taking you out.  Just one of those things, but you still finished in a very decent time, so move on to the next one.

Oirish - I stepped on a drinks bottle in Mile 8 of VLM in 2012. Really screwed my race up and struggled home in 4:23. My physio had never seen an injury quite like it.
    What happened yesterday was completely out of your control and you dug deep, finished in a respectable time.

Really great effort and so pleased that you have been so good humoured about it all day today when various bits of your anatomy no doubt ache somewhat.

Looks like Dublin could be messy for us in October. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Andrew - an impressive set of splits from you tonight. Looks like this speedier stuff comes naturally to you.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - really impressive stuff from you considering that was your first run post marathon. With that kind of stuff I reckon you are capable of smashing a few more PB's through te next few months.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Spoons. wrote (see)

This seems to be the thread of bad luck...... image

Spoons - working on the principle that luck usually balances itself out over time, we should all have fantastic autumn marathons as it can only get better.  image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

When I came home tonight my Bupa 10k race pack was sitting on the counter. I just opened it before coming online here. I have no idea what time I said I would be doing this 10k in but my race number is 1080 and I am in Start Zone A Red  !!!!!!!!!!! This is the first group off. There must be some mistake as I would have never put that kind of finish time down. Never. I mean NEVER.image  This is madness. I have not found any positives yet. Will need to be very clear on my race strategy or else I could be blowing up after mile 1 when I complete it in about 5 mins trying to keep up ...... image

• Hi all - it seems like so much has happened for many of you since I was last online! ell done to all those who have managed marathons, and to those of you who are injured, commiserations...

After a couple of months of iron tablets, which seemed to have kicked my anaemia into orbit, I did a 10k on Sunday in my fastest time for 18 months: 47.21. Nothing spectacular, but it's getting there.

I'm afraid I won't be able to join you in Dublin as I've got a place in the inaugural Yorkshire marathon, but if you'll allow me to rejoin the forum, I'd be delighted!

So, if I can keep the injuries at bay, I'm hoping for a 3.45 - and I know I'll be in good company. 

Hannah 

• You'll be fine Carl at the Bupa 10k Carl, just stick with me. image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

It's been a sad couple of days in the Carter household. Our oldest mutt hasn't been well and we took him to the vets yesterday and he is now in the great kennel in the sky. There has been many tears in the house image

Hope everyone is recovering well from their recent exploits and the training is going well for everyone else

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I managed to get out this afternoon for 7 miles at a decent pace. There was a bit of knee pain from about 5 miles onwards but things are certainly heading in the right direction. Physio session booked in for tomorrow 

• Carter - So sorry to hear about your dog mate, I can imagine how awful it feels. They leave a big hole. My two are starting to get on too nowadays and even the thought of losing them makes me teary.

Ricky will be pleased to hear that after a wrestling competition with an army physio last night my arse is fine image

Sunday night's sleep was interupted by the ocassional twinge and was just fatigued all day yesterday. The guy I ran with is an army medic and got a mate to give me the once over and once he had made me jump 10 foot in the air by touching me where he suspected I had damaged myself strange things happened.

Basically I jarred a nerve near my cocyx hence the numbness.

The plus side of this is that after having my back and hips forced into positions Mrs. Oirish is going to find out about all this week everything went CLICK! 

Result? Almost instant relief. I was warned I might still be a wee bit tender today but after a solid nights sleep I awoke and felt like I could take on the world. I just and only just stopped myself from going for a recovery run today. Instead I settled for a massive burger and a few pints.

Luckily because the damageI  did wasn't muscular I feel pretty good, my quads were a bit stiff this morning but thanks to a barstool and Guinness that seems to have gone image

I have kept myself busy by booking Dublin, two halves, a 12 mile multi terrain race and a 10k today, and yes, Dublin is going to be a mess image

• Carter - sad indeed, they become part of the family and it is always a difficult time.

A positive note with you increasing the mileage - just take it ever so easy.

Oirish - thanks for the intimate sharing of your experience of the army dude touching you in 'all the right places' ... Ahem... That's good I think. Great to see you planning ahead and that's you & Carl committed for Dublin! What is the plan ? OH's invited or are we all travelling solo for a messy night on the black stuff after?

It appears I have injured myself on my marathon - my groin strain reappeared during last nights tempo & woke up quite painful this morning. Not too bad tonight but resting up ;-(

come on the gooners.

• Sad times Carter image

But good to hear your increasing your running distance!

• After having been disappointed to have no finishing photos @ Limerick I am delighted to have found a short video clip of me finsihing with the little 'un!

Click the link below and then enter my bib no - 4109

http://greatlimerickrun2013.sportcamvideo.net/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=SportCam+Ltd&utm_campaign=2499185_SC+GLR13+post+race+(3)&utm_content=limerickvideo&dm_i=J4X,1HKDT,A152UR,51ZUG,1

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - really feel for you. Have never had a pet myself but can imagine that it muct be difficult considering how some pets can really become part of the family.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - won't be long before she is dragging you out for a run and teaching you a thing or two about winning. Great to have a memory as that would be impossible at the bigger marathons.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - as usual you capture the detail with style. Great that you are "fixed" so quickly and really impressed with the rush of blood to the head making you enetr all those races. Dublin is certainly going to be interesting. Team Carter takes on Dublin .....

Mrs D will not be travelling with me to Dublin as the kids will be back at school over here having had their half term the previous week.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    hannah s wrote (see)

Hi all - it seems like so much has happened for many of you since I was last online! ell done to all those who have managed marathons, and to those of you who are injured, commiserations...

After a couple of months of iron tablets, which seemed to have kicked my anaemia into orbit, I did a 10k on Sunday in my fastest time for 18 months: 47.21. Nothing spectacular, but it's getting there.

I'm afraid I won't be able to join you in Dublin as I've got a place in the inaugural Yorkshire marathon, but if you'll allow me to rejoin the forum, I'd be delighted!

So, if I can keep the injuries at bay, I'm hoping for a 3.45 - and I know I'll be in good company. 

Hannah 

Hannah - great to have you back and of course you are welcome to join us on our ongoing journey to runners nirvanah. Great result in your 10k on Sunday. Better than my current PB so I think that is a fab time to be proud of.

I will add your Yorkshire race to our race list and republish. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

You'll be fine Carl at the Bupa 10k Carl, just stick with me. image

Dave - I have a feelin' that you should be in that pen and that I definitely should not. I might stick with you for the first few yards and then you will already be pulling ahead of me. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

In fact just thinking about it not sure if I have told Mrs D about Dublin properly. No doubt it will come out in time . image

Awful weather tonight so when I eventually did get in the door from work, I turned the key and decided that it was not worth getting really wet and cold. Will get a decent run in tomorrow evening instead.

• Welcome back Hannah! You aren't allowed to mention the "I" (injury) word on here...sssshhhh.

Let's just say we have all had/are still having our fair share of niggles & are wondering is the thread cursed!

That's a very respectable 10k time and much the same as mine a few weeks back - I then proceeded to "almost" run a 3:45 two weeks later (3:47) so you are well on your way to a sub 3:45 I'd say image

Carl - sounding like a messy one for sure @ Dublin then! I think Mrs RickyW will be working that Monday of the race as it's not a Bank Hol up north.... so I'll be off the leish also!

• Good morning all. 

Ricky W wrote (see)

Welcome back Hannah! You aren't allowed to mention the "I" (injury) word on here...sssshhhh.

Not sure what we are going to have to talk about if we enforce this rule too strictly image Great time there Hannah, it sounds like you and Carter are heading in the right direction again, I predict fun times on this thread across the summer.

I've just seen the weather forecast for the rest of the week and it is a bit disappointing, we had planned on doing an event on Friday evening along Clacton Promenade just up the road from us. It's a 5k for the adults and a mile run for the kids but when I first saw it advertised I envisaged a sultry, summery evening with me, Mrs. O and the mini O's all running together followed by a well deserved portion of fish n chips sat on the seawall. it is the first of a series of monthly events acrosss what we wryly call summer so I think we may skip this one and do the Parkrun on Saturday instead. It'll just be nice to do something we can all share together and with the kids too out of breath to moan image

Mrs O won't be attending Dublin this time around as she reasons "I don't need to fly Ryanair to watch you make a fool of yourself, I can do that here all the time" 

I know she'll miss me really.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. I'm in for Chester on 6th October. Here is the updated race list.

May 26th - Wallingford 10k – Andrew

May 27th - Bupa London 10k - Carl

June 8th - Larne Half – Ricky

June 9th – Wargrave 10k - Andrew

June 19th - Lisburn Half - Ricky

June 22nd - Wales Trail marathon – Spoons

June 23rd – Toad Hall 10k – Andrew

June 30th – Thame 10k - Andrew

July 7th - Lake Coniston half - Carter

September 29th - Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

October 6th - Chester marathon - Carter

October 6th - Royal Parks HM - Carl

October 28th - Dublin marathon - Ricky, Bruno, Oirish and Carl 

• Carter - sorry about the dog mate image

Ricky - nice video!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Cheers all.

Ricky - I see in the video that you came second in your race of two with the little 'un image

Oirish - can you please give us warnings when you are going to talk about army people touching you etc. I was eating my lunch when I read that post !

Carl - have your legs adjusted to all this speed work yet ?

Spoons - how is the new house ?

I have just read the first few pages of P&D Advanced Marathoning - I suspect there will be many discussions on here about it as there is a lot of new terms and elements etc image