Recommend me some lightweight shoes? musha? Fastwitch? Nike free?

Hi guys, I'm looking for some lightweight shoes to both train and race in, and would appreciate your input.

Im about 65kg, not a heavy runner, more mid/forefoot striker and will be running shortish distance to around 10k or less. So looking for fast/light without being really flimsy and not as far as barefoot style shoes. 

I currently run in both Saucony Progrid Triumphs and also Mizuno Wave Rider 13s, but want something a bit lighter as they feel (ESP the Sauconys) like I'm carrying a cushion.

Options I've looked at so far are Mizuno Wave Musha (ver4 as they are cheap), Adidas Adios 2/3, Saucony Fastwitch and Nike Free 3.0 ver4. 

Ill be going to my local shop to try some out but I know they don't stock any of the above so hoping you can give me a steer?

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Can only advise on the Saucony shoes, as I've no experience of the others.

The Triumph is a neutral shoe, so the the Type A5 (or the older Type A4) is probably a better choice than the Fastwitch as the Fastwitch has some support for over-pronation.

The Fastwitch (and Type A5) are stripped down race shoes, so are defniitely light but this does mean they will be much harder on your feet.  This will be a big transition from your current shoes, but there is a middle ground.  The Saucony Kinvara is a much lighter shoe than the Triumph but is considerably plusher than the race shoes.

I

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I don't know how the cushioning on the A5 compares to Fastwitch but I happily wore the Fastwitch for the marathon this year; I think they're reasonably well cushioned given their weight. Certainly more so than some other lightweight race/trainers I've used, e.g. Brooks ST Racer or Asics DS Trainer.

I guess stutry's correct about either A5 or Kinvara for your running style, but I'm a heel striker so haven't used either.

• +1 for the fastwitch.

Light and enough cushioning certainly for me for 10k upto 1/2M

• Mrs S and daughter S swear by Nike Frees though......image

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Brooks t7 - I've used them all the way up to mara without a problem. They are a bit on the stiffer side compared to Nike Frees, but not as much as your standard Adidas racer.
    Alternatively, Brooks Green Silence - can usually be gotten very cheap (regularly £30 on Sportsshoes), though they are a bit wider than the t7'.

• An alternative to the Musha is the Wave Ronin, which I prefer as it's closer in fit to the Wave Precisions that I use for general training (the Precision is basically a lighter version of the Rider.  Or it was when it first came out, the current Precision isn't as good IMO).

Ronins have been my shoe of choice for racing up to marathons for a few years now.

• I've used the A4 Sauconys for all races up to a half, excellent shoe. A5 will be similar.

Shop around you may find some places doing them for £25-30 as I did.

• Thanks all! So I'll have a look around at the A4/5, Kinvara Nd Ronins.

Keep your thoughts coming!

• What size are you Mr M? Likely same as in Sauconys for other models.

A few small pairs of a4 or a5 for 39-42 quid if you Google.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Talking only ladies but the Kinvaras are too narrow for my feet whereas the fastwitch are fine.

Both are better than the Nike Free 3, faster more responsive better feel.

I midfoot strike.

Quite like my inov8's though they feel heavier than there are if that makes sense.

• I've beenf using Nike free 3.0's for the last four years now and love them. I run 10k in them but not sure if I would want to run much further. They do take some getting use to though as your feet do feel like - free! SOOOOOOOO comfortable but I do suggest short runs to strengthen your feet if you normally wear heels!

• I love the Saucony Tyoe A5's they are great for speed work and shorter races, they are very light with a nice firm feel. I got mine for £40 and at that price they are a bargain.

I use Kinvara's for my longer runs/races and they are also a great shoe, as the Kinvara 4 has just been released you should be able to pick up the 3 cheap as well.