Anyone know if Nottingam marathon is confirmed?

VAVA ✭✭✭

Hello there,

it's on their website with the online entry but the route still needs to be confirmed. Does anyone have any more definite information? Apparently last year it was cancelled because of safety issues. I would like to do it but want to be sure it's going to happen.

Thanks,

Vin

Comments

• ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭

entry appears to be open. great news really enjoyed it in 2011.

found this on another website

Robin Hood Marathon Route The race originally started and finished in Nottingham's city centre, at the Old Market Square. Because the race has grown with popularity the start and finsh lines have been moved to Victoria Embankment.

Runners will enjoy the sight of many of Nottingham's important buildings and historical monuments. These include well known landmarks such as the statue of Robin Hood himself just outside of Nottingham Castle. After leaving the city centre the race passes through Wollaton Park, next to Nottingham University, in sight of the impressive Trent Building. Shortly past the halfway point, while running alongside the River Trent, participants will be able to appreciate the site of Nottingham's two famous football clubs (Nottingham Forest and Notts County) as well as the Trent Bridge Cricket Ground. Next, the route passes within sight of the National Water Sports Centre then Holme Pierrepont Hall. Finally, the race heads back along the river towards Victoria Embankment where runners will be met by the welcome sight of the finish line, and Nottingham's cheering crowds.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Entry open, route not confirmed. Bit of a mixed message from the organisers. Their facebook page is all about the half and mini. Sounds to me like they have't got over the route problems from last year. If you are pining your hopes on a Autumn Marathon in Nottingham, I would get some answers off the organisers.

edit: just seen some confirmation posted on facebook - organisers say it is on

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'd be a bit sceptical too - they are currently saying there will definitely be a full marathon and I know some people who've entered, but it seems a bit of a poor strategy not to announce the route till later in the summer when people are choosing what autumn marathon to do now. And they also claim they will have a proper 'launch' event, but again that seems a bit late... I'm not convinced they'll get that many entries even if they do get the route problems sorted.

• Half marathon - reduced price for unemployed BUT NOT FOR THE FULL MARATHON, VERY ODD.

• VAVA ✭✭✭

It seems a bit of a poor strategy indeed. I'd have already entered if they had got their act together and I suppose they are going to miss many runners in the same position. Also-ran, thank you for your edit. I'll go on fb and try to get some answers too but will probably also enter Chester just in case. It's just that the week before suited me much better but as far as I know there is only Nottingham on 29th.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I ran a marathon today. I was on my ownsome for 25 miles. No more low turnout races for me, including Nottingham image I'm  oot (but may do the half)

• VAVA ✭✭✭

Then if you're looking for a good one with support around that it sounds like Chester is recommended by many.

• ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭

Second that ran chester twice top race

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I was going to say Leicesterimage 13th October... But not for those that don't like small quiet fields 526 finishers last year, and the last mile is a fun steep hill image

• VAVA ✭✭✭

Sent an email through Facebook asking for clarification about why the route is still not known. They did not say why but said they're working hard and confirmed the Nottingham Marathon is going to take place.

• Bournemouth marathon did the same, they opened up the entries before a route had even been confirmed and its £50 to enter, so quite steep, i expect it will be well supported ( i'm doing marathons either side of that weekend so will probably enter the half now the route has been confirmed )

They didnt do Nottingham last year but i have heard it was a nice marathon

I do echo what others have said about Chester tho, it was a fabulous marathon I ran it last year and really enjoyed it all

• brer rabbitbrer rabbit ✭✭✭

I loved the marathon the last time I did it..wall to wall wind around the lakeimage. Rest of it was fab and local to me so I'm glad it's back on. Done Chester for the last couple of years and that too is fabulous. Impressive organisation and route however a little to close to my other dates with Abingdon and Snowdoniaimage. Hey Also Ran..join me for a plod around Notts-we can eat rice pudding on the way aroundimage

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Me too! I live in Notts and like rice pudding. image But I am only doing the half.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I emailed the organisers to ask them to confirm when the route for the full marathon would be announced. They just confirmed what's on their website about it being released 'sometime in the summer'. I'm a Nottingham boy and would have loved to run this as my first marathon after I had to pull out of Manchester with injury. However, there have been lots of rumours here that the full marathon might not take place so I have entered Chester instead

• VAVA ✭✭✭

Thanks, carterusm. I'm going to wait until I know I'll still be in time to register for Chester myself. If they haven't got their act together by then, I'll go for Chester.

• Hmmm beginning to think entering this race was a bad idea after hearing some of these comments. Lets hope its awesome and it doesnt get cancelled

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

No, it's okay, there was a press release about it being properly definitely on the other day.

Edit: here it is, and they're not even making you run all the way round the bloody rowing lake this year. 

• VAVA ✭✭✭

Route announced, marathon confirmed I guess:

http://www.robinhoodhalfmarathon.co.uk/

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Yes image I got an email from them yesterday about the marathon.

http://www.robinhoodhalfmarathon.co.uk/race-info/marathon.htm

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I'm doing the half as preparation for Abingdon in October. As it is a half I will be laying off the rice pudding image

Accommodation booked at Also-rans Ma&Pa's. Hope they don't insist on feeding me up.

• I did the full marathon 3 years ago. How is the course different now? Is it` better`, for those that know the city?

• I've just signed up for the full marathon so I do hope it turns out to be a good one! I wanted a challenge so I'm doing Nottingham followed by the new Yorkshire marathon 3 weeks later! 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Egyptian Toe, I think it is flatter - the first 11 miles is the same as the half, which was changed last year. You don't go through Wollaton Park any more, which I think is a shame because that was a nice bit, but that does cut out a bit of a hill. There is a boring bit through the Boots Estate instead and then you run through the Trent Building on the university campus (instead of up a bigger hill up to the north side of the campus). I'm not sure how the rest of the full marathon route has changed; there were rumours they were going to cut out some of the boring bits of Holme Pierrepont but I think that was all lies.