Do you combine holidays with races?

So I love running. I also loveancient temples. Hence going to Cambodia this autumn. And whilst googling said holdiay, discovered a half marathon through their main temple ruins. HOW PERFECT. Raised the possibility with the wife. Received a groan and change of subject.

Have now booked the holiday and we're coming back to England a few days before the race is on. So I'll miss it. 

Bascially I'm venting on here. Trying to let go. Moving on.  Won't sulk around the temples or for the duration of the holiday. Or from now until theholiday inNovember. 

What do you do? Just holiday and enjoy yourself? Or sneak a race in?

Comments

• Awwwww I feel your grump. Whenever I'm thinking about a holiday, I'm always thinking about what races I can do whilst there and often I'm met with groans and shakes of the head. 

my boyfriend isn't a fan of running but sometimes he gives in and let's me sign up as long as I don't complain about being tired or in pain. we are going to the Amalfie coast in October for our 5year anniversary and I'm already googling to find races, hopefully a 10k or a half marathon image 

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Was it the Dead Kennedys who did "Holiday in Cambodia"?

• I managed to sneak in " il millo" last time we were in fuerterventura. Only 1km race I've ever taken part in, quite good fun actually.

I have raised the possibility of tying in a marathon or half ironman with a holiday in the future, and it got the raised eyebrows, which isn't as bad as I was expecting...so there is hope!

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Book the race and then offer a holiday round about it...usually works for me rather than vice versa

• McGoohanMcGoohan ✭✭✭

Ah. We mostly go on hol in the UK so squeezing in a cheeky parkrun isn't such a big deal. If I went to Cambodia I'm not sure I'd want to run (but then I don't do heat).

Straycelt's suggestion seems a sound one to me.

• Mr Puffy wrote (see)

Was it the Dead Kennedys who did "Holiday in Cambodia"?

It was image

And +1 for Straycelt's suggestion... next time, find a race in an interesting location, and plan the holiday around it as a bunus.

• we are both runners so no problem image

we have been planning for over 20 years that we would do a month in Africa for our 25th anniversay.......

we were not runners then,...but now we are we are going to try and plan the comrades into the holiday image

• My A race is usually my holiday, I dont have anyone to negotiate that with except the cat  image

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Glad I'm not theonly one!

could never dump her. No one else is going to chase round a marathon to cheer me on in five different locations. I know I'm onto a good thing, even if it means missing a run in tropical heat through temples. 

Meldy. - cats can be tricky negotiators. 

• Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭

Strategic error, I'd say. 

My line: "If I did the Amsterdam marathon, we could all have a nice holiday there". That went down quite well.

• Nah Kaffeeg ... three square meals a day and he couldn't give a toss where I was   image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'd race On my holiday. In fact - I am this yearimage

i get this years holiday and hubby gets next year. A fair trade we thought.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

To be fair...Cambodia wasn't her first choice of holiday destination (land mines and killer wildlife put her off....) So inher eyes she has already made compromises.....

...she wants jamacia next year and justgoogled threggae half marathon...so will take your advice for that one! 

• A great idea.  Last time I managed this, was a two week break in the Llynn peninsula. The first was a virtuous week of tapered training, healthy living and loads of energy for looking after the kids.  The second, after the Abersoc 10k was a general badly behaved chill put.  A holiday of two halves.  I thoroughly recommend.  

Felt much better than usual  after the break too.

• My other half walks out of the room sighing/groaning if I come up with a race/holiday combo. I decided last week that booking Valencia Marathon and just going was better than bothering with all the 'let's all go, make a holiday of it' malarkey. I shall go alone and not worry about child-filled, sleepless nights. Huzzah! Cocktails! Afterwards!

• UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

Our holiday this summer is centred around the Lakeland 50/100 with a mini break up the before to recce the route image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

What's this strange idea?  A holiday that doesn't involve a race?  Que??

I've been on more holidays with my OH that DO include a race than DON'T.  In fact, when we went to Barcelona last year, that was the first summer holiday we had together which didn't involve a race.

This year it's a triathlon...

I usually race too, though image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Just to add, though - I don't get why it should be a cause for rolled eyes anyway.  It's a few hours out of one day.

Presumably the eye-rollers get to do the stuff they like, such as shopping, sunbathing, sight-seeing...

• Wilkie wrote (see)

Just to add, though - I don't get why it should be a cause for rolled eyes anyway.  It's a few hours out of one day.

Presumably the eye-rollers get to do the stuff they like, such as shopping, sunbathing, sight-seeing...

That was my logic.. If they can't manage to put up with that then...................

Yep dump them

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

"Its a few hours out of one day" says wilkie. True, but picking a holiday location on where you want to race isn't likely to suit the whole family.....
    Its not worth considering while the kids still come away with us, but will be able to do a few of the city marathons (Rome, Florence, Chicago, Berlin, ...) when its just me and the wife again.
    Did sneak in a 10 mile race while up in Cumbriaa few weeks ago though.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Dustin wrote (see)

"Its a few hours out of one day" says wilkie. True, but picking a holiday location on where you want to race isn't likely to suit the whole family.....

That's true, but the OP, and others, have had the eye-rolling when they've suggested they might do a race on a holiday that's already been selected.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Similarly though Wilkie, other posters have said that holidays have already been planned around a race, or to book a race and then offer a holiday around it. There I can understand the eye rolling...
    But I agree, I can't see whats wrong with a race whilst away if the holiday has already been booked.

• I must say I don't really get the complaints myself.  Unless you plan to do your race in some totally out of the way place where there would be absolutely nothing else of interest to the OH/family I can't really see the problem.  You go off to race and they can lie in bed/do whatever they want really.  This particularly works for shorter races where you're back in no time.  When on holiday earlier this year, I was marathon training (I know, not racing) but I was back from all my runs except an 18 miler before my hubby had got out of bed. 

• I'm planning a park run while on holiday - trouble is this means getting kids out of their sleeping bags in time to leave the campsite about 8am... I could be unpopular!

• Difficult one indeed...Have booked two breaks around Marathons this year (Barcelona & Berlin), so she gets a Holiday & I get to run somewhere nice & have a holiday  image  Happy days right.

Except it's hard not to make the whole holiday about the run, you want to carb load, not drink (much!), check out the course, go to the expo etc etc & then after the race you're wiped out for the rest of that day & aching & not wanting to do too much for the next few days whilst still babbling on about the run.

Shorter runs / Training runs fit in much easier than Marathons.

• I dunno, walking round endless shops/museums/beaches could wipe one out as much as a marathon. My other half would hill walk for 8 hours, but if I suggest a marathon I get the 'oh dear god I'm married to an obsessive, compulsive, unreasonable runner' look. Seriously, I do wonder.

• Did a 10 mile hill walk once , it's what got me into running , time I would never get back . I train most mornings on my family holiday nothing too long as I'm on holiday, I have booked a 4 day break to Majorca and I'm doing the marathon there, 1 day running 3 days chillin , OH loves the idea , bringing 2 mates so she's not on her own for ages,  in saying that she drove to 3 different viewpoints in my last marathon and that was not a quick wait image Fess up and make plans , my wife's my number one fan , ps: did I mention the robbiewilliams weekend I booked for her, again time I might never get back but we're both looking forward to the marathon image