Race the Train 2013

Comments

• Hell yeah Blisters! I love that beer tent party!

My video from last year....I asked the DJ to start this Congo! This year we are Congo-ing out of the tent.....round the town....& down to the BEACH!!!! image

Race the Train..... Beer tent!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QFJ3ZkHUTc

• Can never get links to work on here.... image You have to copy & paste them.... image

• We need a lead doctor for this years race an the 17th August.. Is there anyone out there who can help out? The lead daoctor will co-ordinate the main medical HQ on the finish line fot both the morning and afternoon races. Can any one HELP OUT? If so please get in touch ASAP on www.racethetrain.co.uk

Many Thanks

George Watson

Race Director
  • Well if we don't get a lead doctor, men will still be men , but the sheep won't be scared as they will hsve a peacfull summer.
  • As a native of Brum i have spent many weeks in this part of the country and always think about doing this event.

I know the area well, and the comments above make me think that this is as tough as I assume. Would it be a really stupid idea to attempt this as my last long run 1 week before a debut marathon?

• LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Probably!!!  Its 14ish miles and they are 14 tough miles!!!  Is the marathon road or offroad ???  Depends what you are hoping to achieve from the marathon, if your going for a time and racing it hard then racing the wkd before isn't usually recommended.  However, Race the Train is a cracking race, so you could always give the marathon a miss and do this insteadimage

• The Joust 24 hour ultra gor rearranged for this date, after I entered for June 29/30.

I have deferred to next year as RTT comes first! image

• Tuesday May 14th, 8.00pm ITV1 Caroline Quinten's programme on National Parks. This week's programme is in Snowdonia and covers a feature on the 2012 Race the Train Quarry Challenge 10K. Keep an eye out for it and let's hoe the coverage attracts a few more runners!! For entry details on the 2013 race go to www.racethetrain.co.uk

• Laudy wrote (see)

Probably!!!  Its 14ish miles and they are 14 tough miles!!!  Is the marathon road or offroad ???  Depends what you are hoping to achieve from the marathon, if your going for a time and racing it hard then racing the wkd before isn't usually recommended.  However, Race the Train is a cracking race, so you could always give the marathon a miss and do this insteadimage

After seeing this on the TV last night, I think you may have a fair suggestion in binning off the marathon - this looks epic...

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

i watched it on   tv   liked the trainimage

• i'm doing this for the first time this year. what footwear do others recommend? trail shoes?

• You'll get away with trail shoes although fell shoes with studs would probably be the way to go.

The first 6 miles are pretty easy going, mainly farmers fields and tracks; the course then takes a right turn and starts climbing so the course is above the railway line on a camber, if you get my meaning.

This is where your studs will play a part, short sharp climbs and lots of mud / bogs.

Great race, even better beer tent!

• "Bogs" is a bit overstated unless it has been really wet. There is a little bit of boggy upland and a stream that crosses the road. On a dry year ordinary trainers with good tread suffice, on a wet year the studdies with a bit of cushion are the kiddies to wear.

Oh, and the word on the street is that you need to be trained for 20 milers, and have a  HM time better than 1:25/1:30 in order to beat the train. It typically takes around 1:45. Go for it.

• We have just under 850 entries to date for the 30 Race the Train on 17th August. We still have many entire left for this charity event. So please keep ur entries coming in, for entry detail go to www.racethetrain.co.uk

• We need 30 entries to reach 900 for 30 RTT. Details on www.racethetrain.co.uk 

• Entries for RTT on 17th August are looking slightly down on last year. We need your entries for this worth while charity event. Cash prizes for 1st five men and women in the 14 mile race, and first three in 10k. Prizes for age group categories. For details go top www.racethetrain.co.uk

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

I'm surprised more people aren't up for this George, looks like a great event and I for one am really looking forward to it.

• Yes I thought we would have had more entries this year as the race went out on ITV1 at prime time on Caroline Quetons National Parks. Entries have been going up every year. Maybe runners are waiting until the last minute.

• I definitely want to do it George but I don't like to register too early. I know that you're going to say that it is not too early at all but... You never know, between injuries and stuffs... Anyway, when do they close the inscriptions?

• I understand what you are say about injuries and entering early, as I appreciate you guys pay a lot of money running many races. Team entries close around the the 5th August. Late race entries are taken on race day but it cost you more as we charge a late entry fee. It's cheaper to enter early. www.racethetrain.co.uk

• We are now only 9 entries short of 1000. Entries are slower at coming in this year compared to last! We still have a long way to go before we reach our limit. For entry details and train tickets go toour web page www.racethetrain.co.uk

Now only sixe entries short of 1000. Can we hit 1000 by the end of to day? Now only 606 places left. With only 7wks before race day on 17th August, someome could be disappointed if they leave it to late? Get you entries in now to avoid disappointment. Details on www.racethetrain.co.uk

• Now only two entries off 1000. Entry detaon on www.racethetrain.co.uk

• One entry off 1000m Who will be the 1000 entrant? Go to www.racethetrain.co.uk 

• Hi George, I dont think I am the 1000th entrant but well, I signed for it tonight, with a french buddy. Any recommendations on the shoe we are supposed to choose? Do ze need proper trail running shoes?

I have done a wee bit of trail and hill races of course but I dont know if I have to expect a lot of muds and crossing small rivers or things like that ?!

• With just over two weeks to before race day on the 17th August we are only 62 entries short of 1400 runners. Could we have a record entry for the 30th RTT. Entries are still open. So get your entry in. Detail at www.racethetrain.co.uk.

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Last long run planned for Sunday.

• I signed up + paid for this waaaaaay back last year and haven't had anything at all through (mail or post) yet. just wondering if I should be expecting race number through the post, or if we have to collect these on the day (or not at all?).

Anyone know how it has worked on previous years?

Getting v. excited now, but please god let it be a bit cooler...

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

normally get number and chip in post - probably next week image