Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Annika - great entry to the forum image shinimage splints can be caused by a number of things. Have you seen a physio and how old are your shoes?

And jase...yeah we're all pretty keen to do our scheduled marathon BUT it also depends on your experience and what your key event for the year is.

• Annika - sorry - couldn't resist.  Plus I've been moaning for a week about injuries so was nice to be a bit more light hearted image

Thanks Radar Sal.  I've confessed that my views are erratic - but following my 6 mile run this morning I've been in pain most of the day.  It's come back with a vengeance.  And you're spot on - need to start thinking about what the key event is - and truth by told I'd definitely pick Berlin over Edinburgh!  Still, I've got till Thursday to decide. 

• Haha no worries Jase, I dug my own grave with that mix up.. Radar Sal- those hi just bought new trainers on Saturday.. But the ones I wore previous were super old. Have not seen a physio but might have to give that a go. Thanksimage 

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Annika - that might have been the cause, old shoes. A good physio should give you a better idea. Good luck! 

Jase - good luck deciding. It's always a tough one. 

• Jase-Runner wrote (see)

P.S  Any recommendations for effective painkillers would be welcome...something that'll dope me up but not knock me out image

Hi Jase, sorry I'm late!

So, I have recently reviewed a paper on analgesics/painkillers and endurance running.

The study was written based on findings from approximately 4000 runners from the Bonn Marathon/Half Marathon 2010.

The summary: I can only recommend Paracetamol, used within directed guidance (max dose 1000mg four times a day). Most of the others are potentially very dangerous.

NSAID's (anti-inflammatories) such as Ibuprofen/Brufen or Diclofenac/Voltarol are simply harmful when taken in association with endurance running/training.

Cardiovascular (heart), Renal (kidney) and Gastrointestinal (stomach and bowel) problems (some of which were life-endangering hospital admissions) are multiplied by a factor of between 4-12 using these drugs.

(Aspirin (used widely outside the UK as a painkiller) is particularly dangerous - use only if directed to by your doctor.)

Over The Counter stuff (i.e. ALL the above meds) can be very harmful. 

If you're in pain, using these painkillers (apart from Paracetamol) is just asking for trouble, even if you keep yourself well hydrated during exercise/racing. Use only on expert advice.

Happy to answer any further questions - PM me if you fancy.

Reference: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/3/4/e002090.full

Iain

• Hi Annika, ref shin splints, I had this problem last yr. I was overtraining for the amsterdam marathon and when it came to the race it blew up in my face. Pain was terrible and I struggled home and did terrible damage. In the end I had to Yale 3months complete rest from running. My advice is donut ignore the pain and. Do following:

make sure u have correct ffootwear, ease of running (cycle, swim,gym) until pain completely goes. Don't overtrain ease into schedule.

trust me u don't want to go through the pain barrier I had to.

the good news is I did the above and have been bin jury free since jan.

• Stephen - horrible news about Amsterdam but good to hear you turned it around. How frustrating injury is, we know it'll happen at some point to us all - it's even more frustrating to have the patience required to fix it IMHO.

• Fully agree, having patience to let injury/illness get better is sooooo fustrating! And the lack of,probably the reason many of us get reoccuring injuries!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Jase-Runner wrote (see)

Thanks Radar Sal.  I've confessed that my views are erratic - but following my 6 mile run this morning I've been in pain most of the day.  It's come back with a vengeance.  And you're spot on - need to start thinking about what the key event is - and truth by told I'd definitely pick Berlin over Edinburgh!  Still, I've got till Thursday to decide. 

I think you've answered your own question thereimage

• Hi Iain.  Thank you very much for that advice.  It was both enlightening and scary - scary based upon a lot of the drugs people suggest you use and in actual fact, by your advice, you shouldn't.  Paracetamol is the way forward then image  I will take that advice for my last, test run tomorrow and see how it pans out.  Again, thanks, really appreciate it.

Emmy H - yep, I probably keep answering my own questions!!  Such is the quandary my little pea sized brain is mulling over at the moment. It's very much the case of Me, Myself and Jase! Seriously, I literally change my mind about whether to run every few minutes - it is so annoying (and underpinned by the fact I know for a fact I'd be a complete nob to run - but also knowing that when it comes to exercise - yep I can be a complete nob)  

Anyhow tomorrow I can stop complaining as I won't make a decision until I go out tomorrow night and run and see how it reacts.  If I can't get through a few miles - I won't do it - but we'll see how it reacts basically. Watch this space (and don't be surprised, appalled and condeming if the nob size of my personality takes over and makes the decision for me - the best part - If I do do it and end up in agony you can all say 'I told you so, idiot!!' image)

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

We won't say 'we told you so' but the drinks will alllllllll be on you!  Surely that should be an appropriate incentive for a scot to do the mature thingimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

We won't say 'we told you so' but the drinks will alllllllll be on you!  Surely that should be an appropriate incentive for a scot to do the mature thingimage

That's a good point!

We're not the kind of people to say: i told you so. We're more likely to ask for the next roundimage

• I get the impression that you guys think I'm a Scot?  Not that it would be a bad thing of course - but no, I'm not a Scot.  I'm from Gloucestershire image

But I guess that's fair - if I end up on crutches - I will buy the first round in Berlin.  Deal?

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Only the first round?  I don't think so. Gloucestershire. ..is that where they breed moths for Scottish wallets? 

• And what are you tryin to say about scots???

• Radar Sal - yeah that's the place!  Moths is what we're known for! (and incest, bestiality and shooting burglars)

ANd sooooo yeah - definately only the first round image

• Ha ha Kaz.  Well....I am simply trying to say I'm....er.....not a Scot image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Kaz-Yup I'm completely saying that. ..With a massive amount of winking going on, given my heritageimage

• Ahhh now I see - you were asking Radar Sal what she was saying about the Scots - makes sense - I didn't think I'd said anything derogatory image

I'm from Irish stock - we're always the first at the bar (and often not buying)

• Sorry Jase.......didn't mean to make you think you'd offended anyone!!! RS's heritage comes from the same place as me!!!  image

• Don't worry - I didn't really think I'd offended anyone image

Doesn't look like I'll be meeting any scottish runners next Sunday image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Jase-Runner wrote (see)

I'm from Irish stock - we're always the first at the bar (and often not buying)

Then you're like me... and will drink the scots under the tableimage

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Jase - did it not go well? DNS?

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Oh jase, doesn't sound good image  I know we've all been saying not to but are really there with you, if you have to make the DNS decision.

• Emmy - yep - I think it has been proven by some scientific university somewhere that the irish ALWAYS drinks the Scots under the table image

And RS and Orbutt - marathon is on the 26th but I have now made my final decision.  Was in a fair bit of pain last night - picked up some rock tape from my physio - and then watched the mighty Chelsea win another cup - and I had always told myself that my final trial run would be Thursday morning and I would make my final decision then.  So I forced myself up this morning - although did get up late - I had stapped up my ankle with the rock tape - and there was pain in the run but I have actually decided to do it now.  Final decision.  Going to take on board the variety of the advice on here with regards to drugs and strapping - and also going to have a plan about how to get around (any suggestions on this note as always are welcome).  Yes yes yes - I know the sensible thing is to not do it - but - and I won't labour on this - had a really bad year pretty much from May last year (some health problems not related to running) and guess its instilled an extra bit of determination in me to do this image

So....bring it on!!!! image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Jase - my advice: look around and enjoy it, talk to everyone, high five as many people as possible and walking isn't defeat. Dnf is.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Don't forget to dance and sing a little as well ;0)

• Thanks both - singing and dancing may be a bit of a stretch image - but yeah, that's what I am going to do.  I've got no aspirations of achieving a PB - and the aim is to finish and if it involves walking, so be it. 

Actually quite looking forward to it now and every time I feel an ache or twinge - I tell it to shut up -decision made now.,

• Smile, high five everyone, sing lots, drink champagne, sing some more ..... Enjoy as much as possible Jase.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Smile, high five everyone, sing lots, drink champagne, sing some more ..... Enjoy as much as possible Jase.

I think that's what I do in every marathonimage