Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Hi everyone.

A few of us from Stourbridge RC will be doing this one. Previous best is 2.59 but that was 14 years ago. Last marathon was 3.58. However, I've lost some weight this year and improved my training so hoping for approx 3.30.

My wife is doing her first marathon & is looking at 5.30 - 6.00.

Is the the reunion tent a good place to wait for her (and the rest of our runners). I believe it has a bar, which is good. Is it far from the finish? I'll get in trouble if I'm not there when she finishes!

She has a running partner who she always runs with but she did her first Marathon at London in 5.28. I think she's a bit worried about running on her own & also not beating the sweeper bus.

• Enjoyed the 10K this evening. Thanks Hillheader for the heads up on the parking.

• re: 'the bug'. I felt like all through training that I was only going to do this once. I think it helped me stayed focused and not waiver from my training plan and not eat anything bad...because I knew it was a one off.

But I did my last long run on Sunday. And I kind of felt sad. I think I actually like being in shape. I think I actually like pushing myself on those multi-hour runs. (I don't like eating right though). And it amazed me to find myself saying it to myself on Sunday....20 miles isn't actually *that* far to run. After all the training and sacrifice over the past 5 months, feels like it's actually all come together at the right time. It's a good feeling.

I dunno...I think I need to get one actual marathon under my belt before I start mentally entering myself in other ones but I wouldn't rule it out anymore when only a couple weeks ago I would definitely have.

• Grest posting Mankinduk. Glad it's being going well. 

Bob, wouldn't worry too much about the sweeper bus. I did the Edinburgh marathon running alongside my wife about 4 years ago. She did it in 6:40 and they weren't fussy about stragglers and were very supportive. Don't tell your wife this though! Don't know anything about a reunion tent but there's beer and a big field to collapse in. At least with Edinburgh there is a good chance that you'll pass each other but not easy to keep a good lookout or work out when you are likely to pass. 

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

cbo - definitely don't take Euthanasia tablets, I always get the two mixed up!!!

Dave, good on you, don't let me down, if I'm doing this again so are you! image I'm having a dilemma whether to rest or run at the minute, foot still got swollen lump on it. Sore but manageable, unknown territory now though as I have already tapered, done marathon, reverse tapered and now thinking about tapering again without feeling I have done enough! Really looking forward to it now though!

Hi Bob, the reunion area isnt a tent - there's just a beer tent there - it's just a big bit of land so as good a place as any to regroup afterwards. It's also not far from the finish, you just come out of the finshers funnel and you're there.

Cheered my face up last night by drinking 1/2 bottle of red (tried not to but couldn't help it), a leftover easter egg and 8 fullsize refresher bars whilst watching the footy! I'm now strictly off the booze!

Still no racepack!

• Gary AnnettGary Annett ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Not long now!!

Im love the tapering part of the training, its nice to wake up and know I have only a 7.5 mile on a Sunday morning.image

My time has really gone out of the window as such, Im just going to concentrate on completion as apposed to time.

The reunion area sounds pretty good, does anyone know if there is anything on for the kids (.Bouncy castles ect?)

Miggito.

Are you binge eating lol.

Have one for me .
  • Race number arrived today with 4 safety pins. My first thought was, "that chip on the back looks quite heavy" bury I am quite knackered from cycle home. Just 8 for me on Sunday and a midweek 4 with a few bits of cycling thrown in too. Am trying my best to be dry over the final 2 weeks, it should make that post marathon pint feel like I'm in that scene from Ice Cold in Alex.  Good luck all. Definitely my last over 26, maybe

• http://www.edinburgh-marathon.com/?finish_area

Athletes will run along Linkfield Road and turn into Pinkie School playing fields for the final glorious 200 metres of their race, lined by thousands of cheering supporters. The finish area will be packed with activities for spectators and finishers to enjoy and you will be able to:

Watch and cheer your loved ones across the finish line:

Visit the Charity Village

• Watch the presentation ceremony
      • Enjoy the Forth One radio roadshow
      • Visit the official merchandise stall with Run
      • Choose from a wide variety of eateries and have a celebratory beer
  • Glad I'm not the only one pigging out. I actually think I've put on weight these last few weeks. Certainly tummy is bigger.

Miggito no need for the ethuinasia tablets as cold almost gone now. Managed 5 miles with the go with 3 brisk ones in the middle at 8.04, 8.17 and 7.54- running with the hound.

I too think I'm going to give the time a miss and focus on getting around. I've done less milage than most of you on here ( by quite a way me thinks). I didn't do 15 miles last Sunday due to cold and took 4 days to recover so should I go for 12 this sunday or 10, or less??

C

• I hate taper. I eat (and drink too much), get frustrated by the lack of a long run and when home, even have time to paint the house. Eek. 

• hi guys- wish I'd found this thread earlier!! I'm running Edinburgh as my first marathon this year.

Training has been ok, have covered the recommended distances, finshed a half in 1:56 and was feeling pretty confident. The last few weeks haven't gone to plan as I got an IT band injury after about 15 miles of my final long run. Have been taking it easy since then, physio, foam roller, stretching etc.

Now im just worried that I'm jumping into the unknown on raceday because a) I have missed some training in the last few weeks and b) I don't know if my knee will start hurting again at 15 miles as I haven't covered that distance since!!!

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Good news I never drank last night image Bad news, I went to see my physio and he reckons I have tendonitis or a stress fracture on my foot! Of course he advised me to go to docs and get referred but by the time I get an appointment it will be time to run anyway so that's not an option! You have to laugh! It's just been one thing after another. The Physio's a good guy though, has seen it all before as I told him I was going to run anyway, as long as the bone doesn't break at the arse end of Longniddry I should be fine. At least now I know I need more recovery time between Marathons, knowledge is power! image Going back to see him in a week so fingers crossed it's just swollen tendons and they'll be better, that's been a week of discomfort, surely can't be a stress fracture though or I would be in more pain??

Anyway, hope all going well for everyone else, I feel like a bit of an imposter on this Edinburgh forum as my focus was on London but starting to get quite excited about this now, if I can just get the time I want and then a bit of rest and recovery before I embark on my sub 330 attempt for next year, all this malarkey will have been worth it image

• Mrpmills.... I had ITB injury 2 years ago on my last long run, very similar situation, I was running Dublin.  It started to play up at mile 16 in dublin, however, I had purchased an ITB strap which is just a strap that you wrap around you leg just above the knee, i put this on at mile 16 and it got me through without too much discomfort.  Hope you recover before the marathon and dont need one but it might be worth buying one and bringing it with you just in case!. 

Miggito.... hope your injury is just tendonitis and clears up by the marathon.

looking forward to the day, see you all thereimage

• Miggito, sorry to hear of more troubles. Lots of ice and anti-inflammatories? 

Welcome Mrpmills. More of an injury clinic than forum it seems at times! Don't worry about missed training. You'll get round fine and all you can do now if you try anything hard is make it worse. 

Weather wet here in Chengdu so good run today without smog. The signs here keep me amused. "Little grass is sleeping" I've translated as stay off the new grass! Heading home to Scotland tomorrow. 

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Mr Mills, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you - no point now, see my post above! I used to have terrible ITB issues until I switched to forefoot (don't try this on Marathon day - took me a good 6 months for transition!!!) You're either going to run it or not and if you are, you just have to accept it will probably hurt, maybe at mile 10, maybe at mile 20 but by then you'll be hurting like most of the other runners anyway! I also used to run with the strap Rdrunner suggested and I suppose it's a psychological boost if nothing else?

Enjoy your weekends all and safe journey home Hillheader!

• Gary AnnettGary Annett ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Felt really really guilty today, as it's my birthday and have had to take in the cakes for all.

I have have had a couple of fresh cream buns..emmm

I am going to have to run a few extra tonight though.

I have just looked on the Edinburgh Marathon site at the F.A.Q and i'm gutted

to find out that under Scottish Athletics,you cannot wear an MP3 player.

I have done all my training with my Asics app and my music,and I have have looked at last years videos and have seen people wearing them???

Is anyone else planning to wear them?

P.S

I know that they are not in the spirit of things but my music will help me I think.
  • Gary - the rules of every marathon, not just Scottish ones) say that you aren't allowed headphones but there are always plenty of runners with them.  If it works for you, wear them.

Just make sure that you run faster than the marshalls!!

• Welcome Mrpmills. Miggito, there are no imposters here only mad obsessed running fans from what I can gather image. Sorry to hear of everyones last minute injuries and pains.....my cold that was clearing is 'hanging on in there'....I live between the seine and the forest and a doctor told me that statistically our area is known to keep bugs circling longer than else where in ile de france- greeeattt. I've just had a mamoth 3 hr nap this afternoon after work-now off to collect the monsters...I mean adorable kids.

There was a lot of talk on a thread about the no music policy. I too would like to wear headphones, but do not want to risk being disqualified. Perhaps take them and see, if by mile 20 when everything does hurt it may be a welcome distraction arguing with an official, who knows??

Hillheader- safe travels home image.

I too am getting excited, especially to come home and see all my family, ok they are crazy, but I love em and the city.

• I'be never run a marathon before but have done two 13 milers. I was always concerned about the lack of music having trained with an iPod but I find that the atmosphere and spectators are a much better option, and you can have a bit of banter too. Everyone has their preference though. Just can't wait now

• I've done all my training with an ipod too, but won't have one for the race itself... I feel I know my tunes so well taht I could probably sing them all anyway.

Seriously looking forward to my first one on the 27th, although this taper has been surprisingly tricky. I reckon it's the feeling that I'm "losing fitness" but not running as much and far as possible.

Next week will be a struggle too as will be doing even less. Just need to remember.. this is all to stash away some much needed energy for the big one.

Good luck to all.

• I'd get there on the 26th if I were you

• So I've been nosying at this forum for some days now as the butterflies are firmly setting up shop in my tummy!

This is my first marathon and I'm curious as to whether anyone else has gone through a transition from occasional runner who would happily stay in bed rather than run in the cold to some sort of running/stats/race calander/pacing/foam rolling obsessed MONSTER!?  I caught 'the bug' about 18 months ago with a few 10ks and halves and since training for this marathon it is all I can talk about!  My poor friends must be sooo bored with my rubbish chat so I thought I'd vent on here for a few minutes image

Also - I cannot stop eating!  I get a 'Time To Eat' warning light approximately once an hour and have just very easily polished off 2 baked sweet potatoes with bolognaise!  Anybody else having this problem where I might actually put on weight training for this marathon?  I'd like to say never again, but I'm already Googling my next one...:S Perhaps the novelty will wear off at...oooh...about 20 miles...

Help!

• Ah..the big ipod debate....I have done every training run for the 3 marathons I have done with music every single mile. And each marathon (including London) I had the ipod with me but in Dublin and London I only had the music on for a couple of difficult moments to get the mind focussed again. Over the last couple of weeks I have done all my training runs without music and been surprised at how easy it has been...I think the fact I can hear my breathing and control it better maybe helps?? I'm still undecided for Edinburgh whether to take the ipod for the difficult miles..or be brave and go completely without and just mentally get through it...????

Miggito...hope your injury is not too bad and clears up for the race. What is your plans for Edinburgh time-wise? Have you got your race pack? I haven't...but im not sure as a late entrant (as we are) if we will get it posted out or have to pick it up? Still hoping it comes tomorrow!!

Everyone worrying about the taper period and maybe not doing enough miles or runs my advice is take it easy and relax...the hard work is done..the ONLY important run is Sunday 26th Mayimage

• Phew....panic about having to try and pick number up is over...Race Pack arrived this morning!!!!imageimage

I think i'll go out for a wee 10 mile run to celebrate...love this weather for running!

• I have to admit that I'm dying for a run at the moment despite it being too hot. But really nice that I CAN'T go far ands just need to chill out

• I couldnt think of anything worse than running with a flaming ipod stuck to my ear. If someone thrust one in my ear i'd chuck it out and throw it in the bushes. If you get bored look at the trees, smell the grass, talk to the horses, chat with the sheep. I think too many people take this green and pleasant land too much for granted. Sorry for the sermon but who needs Robbie Williams and bloody Beyonce.

One ten miler to go, a few bowls of pasta and then it's Edinburgh here we come. Can't wait now for the big day. Good luck everyone, even the ipod brigade!!! 

• I take your point Roger, as I feel some of the tunes can speed your heart up too much. Whereas not having one would mean you can monitor your breathing. You can't beat a desert island discs podcast if you want to slow down your pace though. Certainly not Robbie or Beyoncé!

All the best for Edinburgh.

• Lindsey Gozzard wrote (see)

So I've been nosying at this forum for some days now as the butterflies are firmly setting up shop in my tummy!

This is my first marathon and I'm curious as to whether anyone else has gone through a transition from occasional runner who would happily stay in bed rather than run in the cold to some sort of running/stats/race calander/pacing/foam rolling obsessed MONSTER!?  I caught 'the bug' about 18 months ago with a few 10ks and halves and since training for this marathon it is all I can talk about!  My poor friends must be sooo bored with my rubbish chat so I thought I'd vent on here for a few minutes image

Also - I cannot stop eating!  I get a 'Time To Eat' warning light approximately once an hour and have just very easily polished off 2 baked sweet potatoes with bolognaise!  Anybody else having this problem where I might actually put on weight training for this marathon?  I'd like to say never again, but I'm already Googling my next one...:S Perhaps the novelty will wear off at...oooh...about 20 miles...

Help!

Hi Lindsey

I know what you mean about the eating. This is my first marathon too and I reckon I've put on around 5lbs - certainly need all my energy and have been carb loading most saturday nights for my long runs on a Sunday morning. I'm quite terrified to be honest!