Breathlessness

Hi all, hope you don't mind another question image I started running 2 weeks ago, and I've been doing just under 3 miles every other day. I've started completely from scratch, so I am extremely unfit - I can only do 3-5 mins at a time before I have to stop for 5 minutes as I'm wheezing so much, my throat burns, I taste blood and I get wheezy like I have asthma - but I don't (that I know of!)

I know people will say that I should slow down, but I'm so slow already I don't think I can! And that you should go at a pace that allows you to hold a conversation - but again, unless I walked then it wouldn't happen!

Even when I was younger and fitter I still got out of breath easily and struggled to control my breathing - I don't think can ever have been properly fit.

Does anyone else get this problem? Any tips? Or do I just have to ride it out?

Comments

• Hi Michelle, firstly well done on getting out there image Are you just running or following a Couch to 5k (c25K) plan or similar? most people seem to well following these programs and you will work up to running for 5 minutes over several weeks.  I won't suggest slowing down... ok, I willimage And promise that over time your breathing will improve and you'll get fasterimage

• Michelle .. if you cannot hold a short conversation whilst running then you are going to quick
    If you really are concerned about your breathing then a check up with the GP should rule out any concerns

• If I remember your doing the GNR in September. I don't want to be negative but you have to build up endurance and have a long way to go.

As suggested above you need to visit your GP, some forms of asthma are actually caused by exercise and your doctor can do a peak flow test and prescribe an inhaler if necessary. Thats what happened to me and taking my inhaler before a run is now just part of my routine.

Do a search for exercise induced asthma.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

My asthma has been helped by running it's pretty much disappeared.

i really think you should try going a lot slower. It's about plodding along at the beginning don't worry about speed that will improve over time just slow tight down.

a jogging motion that is no faster then a walk is fine to begin with it's just about being able to plod along and over time the speed and distance naturally increase. 

• I had that problem when I started a year ago, but it did improve as I got fitter. I still experience it occasionally if I increase my pace or sometimes in the first mile until I get warmed up properly. I find slowing my pace or  taking a walking break until I can get my breathing under control works then I can finish the run.

I can never decide whether an inhaler would help or whether is just lack of fitness but it has definitely got better so I'm presuming its the latter for me image

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

+1 for inhaler before a run

If I don't then by about half way into my run I am slightly out of breath. That being said running has improved my breathing - think I am in the "slow down" camp and then pick up the speed once your wheezing eases off.

Just a point my "running" at the start was the same speed as my normal walk speed. That was the only speed I could "run" whilst still holding a conversation. I sing twinkle twinkle aloud as I normally run alone.

• Hi guys, new to this forum so be gentle. I too started running last week for the first time in 3 years. I have about 2 stone to lose and thought I would conincide my new running regime with my quit date from the evil cigarette. I have to say that I love running but these first few days have been absolute torture. I have managed a cuople of miles each day (4 days in a row) but yesterday (the 4th consecutive day) I started to feel my lower back ache so I have decided to rest up for a couple of days. My questions are these:

1. How many days a week should I be out running in order to maintain a good level of fitness and also to lose weight (working with a diet)?

2. What sort of mileage should I be looking to build up to?

I'm 32 years of age, 5 feet 9 inches and weigh just under 14 stone.

Thanks!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

1: around 3 maybe 4 days a week

2: up to youimage maybe 2 x 5km in week and an 8 to 10km weekend run? that's a good base level, maybe run one of the 5km fast each week. Then again to some 40 miles a week is just maintenance, it depends on how much you enjoy it image

• I'm also a complete newbie to running- and have similar issues.... Although I walk everywhere on the whole, I haven't done much cardio-type exercise over the last 10 years or so (but had 4 kids...) and have been trying to get into running for a few months but progress is Sooooo slow! I was always a sprinter even as a kid and I don't seem to have any stamina at all for distance. I'm not overweight but I do get incredibly breathless- even thinking about running makes me out of breath! It's really hard to get the childcare to get out running, but I'm trying to put in a few miles whenever I can on the treadmill, and hopefully I'll see an improvement at some point! Anyone know how long it takes us incredibly unfit to start seeing some improvement please?