Giants Head Marathon - June 2013

Comments

• goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

Hiya Les 

Yes we are working on twisting an arm of  a gels company mentioning no names to give us a few hundred and we will have jelly babies at some of the stations and cake at the 3 aid stations 

Liquids will be water and some energy drinks maybe SiS if we can get enough made up and cider at 20 miles

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I've got a crapload of SiS that you mix up if you want me to bring that? I think 1 of blackcurrent and 3 big bottles of orange.

Yes please message me later

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Sure - will do.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

did someone say cider at 20 miles?
    Is there a 20 mile race option? or do I have to do the last 6.2?

• you do the last 6.2 wasted on Cider image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

That's my plan. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

It's what all of the cool kids will be doing image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

i heard the last 10k was all downhill anyway...

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

It's been downhill for a long time Dustin. 

The last 4 miles of the marathon are flat or downhill 

• I am pleased to report that I has been a right girly swot and been out and actually done my first proper run since Saturdays 'frolics in the fields' ... a whole 2.5 miles ... I am now just about to phone the police to report the theft of one pair of legs .. mine !!!

In other news, the idiots have started blowing their coats so were taken yesterday for a professional groom to remove it all and they came out sparkling and looking stunning .... so guess who has just spent the last half an hour stood in the back garden hosing cowshit off the little feckers after tonights walk!!!

hahaha our Dog that thinks its human sheds 24/7/365

• Its gone quiet on here, like the calm before the storm image

Went into Dorchester Yesterday on the Yeovil Road and looked across and thought hmmmm going to be running that image it's incredibly hilly and I forgot how much so lol

• TheVicar wrote (see)

it's incredibly hilly and I forgot how much so lol

Yeah thanks for that TV  imageimageimage

Bruce as you drive out of Dorchester on the A37 you go past the hidden some would say "Lost" valley of Sydling. You drive along the ridgeline and to the east you can see the other ridgeline. The ancient Wessex Ridgeway trail. You cant see the valley bottom though

http://www.phawker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/valley_of_gwangi_poster_01.jpg

• Strangely I was envisioning something like that, but I had it more down as :

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/The_Doc_of_Destruction/Deliverance2.jpg

combined with

http://blackgate.com/images/articles/survival-horror/the-hills-have-eyes-1977-movie-poster.jpg

• Woot - dinosaurs, mutants and the threat of redneck lurve, sounds like motivation to me.

From Facebook 

FOOD glorrioous foooooooooooood. Right, we have had some issues about food before the event, we thought we may have been able to sort out food in the village hall in Sydling, then we thought we could bring food in. None of those ideas panned out.
    However we have a solution, we think!.
    White Star Running has its own restaurant for the night before the GH Marathon and 10k on Friday 28th.
    All ours no one else. 
    So it will a great place for runners, campers, helpers and all the families to meet up before the event. We have some finer points to work out with the owners about opening hours and the booking procedure, but its in Dorchester 10 minutes from Sydling, there's free parking after 18:00, they have a bar (thankfully). 
    They will also have a menu speshully created for us runners. Pasta, baked spuds etc.etc.
    More details in the next few days but thought we would fire this out now so its one less headache about travel and getting food.

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

Hey GB, good to see your marathon is coming on. Thought about it yesterday as I was standing on the A37 marshalling the Wessex Ridgeway as usual. Its about time your club put a team in and tried to stop the Doddlers sweeping the board again.

Chris

We tried but you were full by the time we got a team together.

Chris are you busy on the 29th would you and any Trotters fancy a stint at marshalling? We will feed you and give you beer? Give us a shout info@whitestarrunning.co.uk

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

GoldBeetle - a question for you: which shoes should we wear? Trail or is road ok? I'm starting to get nervous with all of this hill talk and will need to know if I should start wearing my trail shoes in...

TBH I would wear trail its pretty flinty in places but it depends on comfort really. If you are 100% happy about trail shoes go with them only if you can do the 26 in them.

• Emmy, I think crampons may be the order of the day ....  although in all seriousness I'm going to be wearing my road shoes (mainly cos they are the only ones I have and don't think have time to get trial ones and break them in to 26.2 distance!).

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Bruce - I've got a pair but I'm not sure that I trust them for the full 26.2. I guess that's why i'm asking if I should make a conscious attempt to wear them in or just stick with my roadies. I wore a pair of roadies for a marathon in early may and should have worn trails. They mushed up my feet something terrible

• just got my nice new Salomon trail shoes through. Going to get them broken in ASAP, doing the Mercury Mendip 30 miler in 2 weeks, so will see how we get on!

Just signed up to Twitter and Giants head marathon is my first follower whoop image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

My trail shoesis is comfier than my road shoesis. image

I get blisters in my road shoesis. image

I'm going to learn how to fly, I think it's for the best.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Mrs Hogmousey - if you learn can you teach us? image I'm trying to work out how to climb hills.

Does anyone do any of their hill training on dreadmills? I've been considering it but our gym have a firm 30 minute only rule on the treadmills.

Stepper machines are great for hill training the muscle action is very similar 

You should be ok in road shoes

From Facebook 

Hello, hello, hello from White Star Running,

Hope the training is going well. The Marathon is full and the 10k is filling up nicely. We have booked nice weather for the 29th June and asked for rainbows and a cool breeze.

Right stuff you need to know

Camping, again.

Book your camping by emailing us at info@whitestarrunning.co.uk

Its £5 payable in the church hall on the day you have to drive into the village, to the village hall and we will show you where the campsite is. Easy.

Food 28th June (that’s Friday).

Now this is important. So we have had some issues about food before the event, we thought we may have been able to sort out food in the village hall in Sydling, then we thought we could bring food in. None of those ideas panned out.
    However we have a solution, we think!
    White Star Running has its own restaurant for the night before the GH Marathon and 10k on Friday 28th.

All ours no one else. 

http://www.cafepaninis.co.uk/

11 WEYMOUTH AVENUE, DORCHESTER, DT1 1QR

Fiona and the team are staying open for especially on the night before the marathon. They open their doors at 08:30am and normally close round 17:00 but they are staying open until we roll out that night. Great eh?

Fiona has reassured the portion size will be on an epic pre marathon scale, so you won’t need to rush back to your tent and scoff digestives because you haven’t eaten enough.

Cafepaninis.dorchester@hotmail.co.uk

So it will be a great place for runners, campers, helpers and all the families to meet up before the event. Paninis is in Dorchester 10 minutes from Sydling, there's free parking after 18:00, they have a bar (thankfully). 
    They have also created menu speshully  for us runners.

We know some of you are bringing dogs they are welcome in Paninis, they have an outdoor bit, but when you phone tell them you are bring Fido.

Now listen you need to book the restaurant yourself, don’t email us, phone the restaurant so they know numbers and an idea of what you may want to eat, just so they can get in everything they need.

This the first time we have booked anything like this so we want it to run smoothly.

Paninis phone 01305 265904

They are also open from 8.30 am on Sunday so its full English before heading home ok?

Menu

Starter £5

Bruschetta with houmous & olives & salad garnish

Country veg soup with croutons & breads

Tuscan bean soup & breads

Goats cheese & onion marmalade quiche with salad garnish

Mains £9

Mushroom Stroganoff with herby rice

Chilli with brown rice served with sour cream & tortillas

Penne with chicken, mushrooms & pesto

Tagliatelle with a tomato & red pepper sauce & ricotta

Lasagne with a rich beef ragu & mixed salad