Triathlon Newbie

Hello. I am taking part in my first novice triathlon on the 29th. Distance is 400m swim, 10 mile bike ride & 3.5 mile run.

Can anyone give me any tips on training and for someone feeling incredibly anxious about trying something new.

Thanks

Comments

• You've less than two weeks. You won't be able to improve fitness. Practice getting changed - you can save time there for no effort.

Buy elastic lock laces.

Buy a number belt.

Buy a track pump to inflate tyres properly.

Practice transitions.

Have fun !
  • Don't put pressure on yourself to do anything but finish. There will be lots of other people in the same boat and everyone else will be very friendly and supportive. Triathletes are a friendly bunch! I did my first one a year ago and nearly didnt take part as did no training, but it was a fab experience. And I was just as nervous before my second triathlon but once you get going, jus enjoy being out and doing something.

And I agree with Cougie... think about and practice transitions... my first was about 4 mins! (I did have to take a wetsuit off but still, i could have made myself a brew in that time)

Good luck

• Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭

I wouldn't worry abput separate cycling shoes. Just cycle in your running shoes-transition 2 will be very quick. Get to the event in plenty of time to register and get your bike in transition.  

Enjoy!

• Ok, thank you guys. I'm just worried about doing something silly like falling off my bike. I've been told its a low key event and everyone is really friendly so I'm hoping I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the advice.

• We've all done silly stuff, some of us still do even 7 years on from our first tri. Just relax and have fun.

Good luck.

• Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭

If it is a pool-based tri (I'm guessing it is), then you will be set off in waves. Once you are out of the pool, no one will know what position you are in, so no stress there!