The British 10K

I have just recieved an email for this years race. It was just as well I was sitting down when I looked at the cost.

£50 for a 10K! Are they taking the p**s? That's more than the London Marathon!

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm sure thousands of people will still sign up.
  • Are Nike still sponsoring it or was one year enough for them?

• Unless you get a real gold medal for finishing, that really takes the piss.

I take it this is being staged in or around London?

• People will sign up, the charity runners mostly. Club runners will steer clear.

I've done it before when it was new but it's so badly organised with a scrum at the start. However, I note that this year is a wave start so that should improve matters.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The guess the organiser decided that their 'profit' was going to be some massive figure and then worked backwards through the overheads until they arrived at £50 entry.

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

The guess the organiser decided that their 'profit' was going to be some massive figure and then worked backwards through the overheads until they arrived at £50 entry.

That's probably not far from the truth Ric.

• We've had threads slating this every year I think ? And still people pay to do it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i expect most of the people who moan about these entry fees have some item or aspect of their life they spend masses on.

Let others do the same if they want to, just walk away if you don't want to follow them, simple as.

What do you mean I got my place free..that's unrelated image

• xine267 wrote (see)

Are Nike still sponsoring it or was one year enough for them?

Nike only sponsor last year as a pre-Olympic publicity stunt.

The only ones who will enter are those who have no idea. They look at it and think what a well-organised event it look and I'm going to pay £50 because its in London and its sooooo important. Its a crap race organised by a crap organiser run by crap people who think £50 to run 10k round London is value for money.

• Ah, I was wondering if it was a one-off or if they'd decided to add it to their stable of over-hyped, over-priced events. 

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

It's sometimes difficult to both sides of a story on this forum. There are many people who enjoy this event - and some (although a fewer number) that think £50 for a 10k with the "perks" such as 2 technical shirts are "worth it"

Just because you don't - doesn't mean others won't like it. It's just making an informed decision.

From what's I've read - I do think the general consensus is the Bupa 10,000 is the better (and cheaper) London event - but that's what choice is all about.

P.S. I found this link useful - gives both sides of the story quite nicely. http://fromsnickerstomarathon.com/2012/07/11/the-british-10k/

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

It's like a feedback form - people are more often likely to post negative experiences than positive experiences. I find that on here sometimes when it comes to British 10k.

Whereas there are a few good blogs about peoples experiences - some good some bad.

Have a read - I found it quite informative.

• I did read it...............

Miserable drivel about an event that makes headlines every year for al the wrong reasons.....

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

That wouldn't just happen to be YOUR blog, would it, YKW?

• Wilkie wrote (see)

That wouldn't just happen to be YOUR blog, would it, YKW?

Cynic image

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

Very cynical.

No - not my blog.

No I have not taken part in British 10k

I am just trying to give people who read this some balance.

Kinda disappointed with the responses.

• YKW wrote (see)

Kinda disappointed with the responses.

Not half as disappointed as people who have done the event have been !!!

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

People should be allowed to hear both sides of the story and make an informed decision. Some people like it - some don't. Runners world own event ratings state 53% who would do it again.

I am guessing you are one of the 47% who won't which is fair enough - but let other people have an opinion too.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    That blog seems to echo all of the points made on this page.

I've never really understood why some people write a blog.

I quite enjoy having a quick scan of people at the top of their game but for mr or mrs average it doesn't quite do it for me.

I can't believe anyone would actually be THAT interested in the running I do on a daily basis.

Rant Over.
  • YKWYKW ✭✭✭

Millsy,

For some people like me - who are very new to running and not very confident I can achieve the goals I have set - it's refreshing to read people's stories and their progression.

It gives people inspiration - and sometimes a giggle.

• 50 quid for a shambolic organisation, insecure baggage storage, no timing, and the possibility of not getting a medal ? 

Why would anyone consider doing it ? 

You can do a big city marathon cheaper than that 

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

Yes a lot of people do consider it - and consider it value for money.

It's all personal preference - being frugal I would prefer to fly cheap and look at eayjet and ryanair - whereas others will not touch them with a barge pole and will only fly with BA or similar.

It personal preference. They pays their money (not yours) and takes their choice.

• How can it be value for money ? If its crap organisation, and more expensive than a big city marathon ? 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If we are going to use the airline analogy then the British 10k sounds like Paying for BA business class but getting Ryan Air service.
  • They can only consider it VFM if they've not done any better events. Of which there are hundreds each week - the country over.

HOW many threads have we had from people running this race and slagging it off ?
  • YKWYKW ✭✭✭

sigh.

I feel like I am talking to my 5 year old and explaining to her that her thoughts are not necessarily shared by everyone.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree and leave it at that image

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭
    Millsy1977 wrote (see)
    If we are going to use the airline analogy then the British 10k sounds like Paying for BA business class but getting Ryan Air service.

lol yep - probably about right.

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    They can only consider it VFM if they've not done any better events. Of which there are hundreds each week - the country over.
    HOW many threads have we had from people running this race and slagging it off ?

Fair point here - but some people do it because its in London. I imagine most do it because its London - and really its either Bupa 10,000 or this (if they want London that is)

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Millsy1977 wrote (see)
    That blog seems to echo all of the points made on this page.
    I've never really understood why some people write a blog.
    I quite enjoy having a quick scan of people at the top of their game but for mr or mrs average it doesn't quite do it for me.
    I can't believe anyone would actually be THAT interested in the running I do on a daily basis.
    Rant Over.

That's what I think (about my training, not yours image)

YKW, you sigh that we are like five-year-olds who don't understand that their thoughts are not necessarily shared by others - but many, many people do share this opinion of this event, as we see threads about it regularly.

Anyone who thinks it is a great event can join in the threads and give their opinion too.