ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

evening allimageimage

SarahI. good luck with three peaks. Ive often fancied it but I dont work well without sleep! I will check out your page later.btw  did you ever get recovery skins? I sleep in mine n they are brill.

hmmm stretching! Yes DS.I def notice the difference if I dont aswell. I  also think my strength training with heavy wts helps too. Tigger- get lifting n stretching!

You lot are all really speedy now..I feel a real slowcoach. Ive decided speed is not my strong point, so Im going for distance! look out ultra! My next race though is a relay Im doing with the running club. north to south wales! lol I hope I get given a downhill leg!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Speed is all relative Jen. compared to Mo Farah I am a snail, but no less a runner! We only compete with ourselves unless really at the sharp end.

We are all blessed differently with such things as genetics, ability to hurt ourselves, busy lifestyles. Being the best we can be individually is very important but enjoying it and being fit and healthy are the best reasons for us ordinary folk to run.

Well, that's my view. Happy running!image

• Morning!!

Sorry I haven't been on much ... haven't been doing much at all - not much running or blogging. Just lazing around mainly - it's been BRILLIANT!!image

DS2 !! What a fab new PB - and 25 ins quicker than last year?! Wow wow wow!! Loved the report too! Sounded like a really tough marathon and you came in 49th! That's fab!!

Oh my goodness Sarah!! You are SO quick now!! You're really knocking the PBs in!! Sub 3:15 is going to be no problem ... you won't mind if people compare you to your Dad thenimage

Hi Tigger!! Glad knee is feeling a bit better!! Although I'd be happy to WALK a couple of laps with you at TR24 if it comes to it! image

• Thanks DS2 Im having a quiet week or two now to try to reduce the risk of injury. I went to the gym last night and actually went on the bike for a change as the slow 9m/m recovery run just didnt seem right on the knees. Did actaully enjoy going on the bike for a change. Will be rest day for me today (im being treat to a 3 course meal at the nursing home that I look after...its with the staff rather than the residents, has some sort of theme but I dont recall what it is). Thankyou for sponsoring me.

Tigger...a 2 week rest from running...good luck. Thats fantastic news about finding an 8th runner for the team. Still need to think up of a name....anyone have any suggestions for a TR24 name for us????

Hi Jen north to south wales sounds like a challenging relay. How far are the individual sections? I agree with you, I think the strength training and stretching work wonders. I always wear my skins now after a long or fast run and I do think they have speeded up my recovery. I have only slept in them once, but woke up too hot. Ive slept in my compression socks a few times though. Im looking forward to the three peaks, but im worried abit about coming down them, as my knee was stiff for a couple of days after coming down scafell. Least I can see what it will be like after coming down snowdon this weekend to see whether I need to worry or not.

Hi Sarah, have you enjoyed the break as much as the marathon training? Do you have an autumn marathon planned and are you doing VLM next year?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi RRR - I wondered where you were! Unfortunately, it wasn't quite a PB! Primarily because I ran a couple of marathons in the 90's when I was (a) much younger and (b) much quicker. As a result my PB is 2:44:35 which, I imagine I will never get any where near!!!

However, this is the fastest marathon I have run since 1994 and the fastest I have run as a vet. I would love to run Sub 3 at 50, but that might be a tall order. We shall see!

I would add that this is, IMHO, the finest marathon I have ever run and I am feeling quite pleased with myself, especially since I felt under some pressure with all of the rest of you performing so well in your respective spring marathons.

Are you doing an autumn marathon?

SO4 - what do you mean by a quiet week? Only PB's at three distances???

I'm so jealous of you lot doing the TR24. Half of my friends from the Halstead marathon thread are doing it as well.

Jen - that sounds hard work. It must be downhill North to Southimage

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Quick work break then it's back to it. One more week of hell to go image

Jen - great to see you back! When is the relay? Do you have a baton? Do you have to practice handovers so you don't get disqualified?

RRR - I think you earned your rest. I'm surprised you didn't have a mental breakdown. I bet you were even blogging in your sleep at times over the past 4 months! Good to hear from you.

There's a load of us doing various races in the autumn so we'll all be training through the summer - would be good to have you back here with us. And you can do it free of any obligation to provide infinite detail on your every move image

Tigger - I'm with DS2 on the knee thing. I took two months off the year before last with a knee issue that in the end turned out to be just tight quads. Couldn't believe it. Did a bit of regular stretching and what had become a real worry for me was gone.

Sarah - wow, the PB machine has been working overtime. Well done!

Yes, Mrs Malcs and the Malcs minis are all coming to TR24. Mrs Malcs is part of the team so she'll be running too!

DS2 - I like your thinking. I have now given up on my dream of catching up with Mo Farah. I just don't have the time to keep up the training and to be honest, he's a great guy and he deserves not to be knocked of the top by a hairless forty something like me. 

If anything happens re. your conflicting plans for TR24 weekend you know you have a place waiting for you!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs - my work is something like yours at the moment! Funny you should mention the TR24 thing but our holiday companions for that week are on the verge of a break-up according to my wife so my plans may change yet!!!

Since I started my quad stretching every day the pain has gone. I can't believe it. And my massage last week sorted out my piriformis syndrome and I'm running pain free. Incredible. I went out for an easy 5 miler this morning and felt really comfortable and averaged 7:57 feeling very easy including the last mile in 7:29. Mrs DS2 is feeling pleased with herself because she has been saying for three years that I just need to stretch!!!

• Helloooooo,  All seem to be good apart from the knee pain. I too am a advocate of stretching, left knee has started to give me some niggles so on the foam roller and stretch.

Well Done Sarah on yours PB.

The running club held a Festival of the mile this week and we all had the opportunity of seeing how fast we could run it. I was pleased with a 6m 41 Secs at first attempt.

This weekends task is a 54 Mile Coast to Coast bike ride in aid of Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance. Will my running legs get me there.

Whats everyone else got planned?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - gosh, that'd be a fun holiday playing marriage counsellors. Just in case Tigger panics, I know the bootcamp team is full but we can squeeze you in on ours if you're up for it. 

Reg - whoa, best of luck. If you find the cycling too tough you could always sling your bike over your shoulder and run it insteadimage

I am hoping to do a gentle 10 miles on Sunday but at the rate I'm going I'll end up working for a second weekend in a row image

• Busy times hey Malcs?

Got 6 hours to do the ride so hopefully won't be a problem.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm still having probs with my computer, or is it the site? I can be in the middle of writing a post and the screen just goes white??? Is it just me?? it happens after a few lines so I'm going to write lots of short posts. please don't think I'm going mad!!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

He's only making up for all those hours he spent on here during the voting stage!!!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Malcs each leg of the relay is between 8-13 miles, there is no baton, if one runner is too slow the next person is allowed to set off at a given time, (how embarrassing would that be!!)  It's an accumulated time over the 200 miles, but if you run slower than 10.00 pace you get pulled off! No pressure then! The men have volunteered to do the mountain stages thank goodness. Ha ha DS, I wish it was all downhill!!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Sarah, do you run in compression socks now? what colour do you have? are they bright like RRR's? My biggest prob walking steep downhill sections is getting black toe nails! lots of walkers I know swear that using poles on downhill sections takes the pressure of the knees. May be worth considering?

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    DS2 wrote (see)

Speed is all relative Jen. compared to Mo Farah I am a snail, but no less a runner! We only compete with ourselves unless really at the sharp end.

Very true DS, I need to keep reminding myself of how far I've come and how much I've achieved in the last year, rather than comparing myself to others.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Good luck with the bike ride Reg. But I hope this isn't the start of a move over to the dark side!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Local parkrun for me tomorrow, but I'm not chasing my PB. My daughter is home for the weekend and she's coming with me and I'm going to pace her in her first parkrun and hopefully get her a new 5k PB.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    jenf wrote (see)

Malcs each leg of the relay is between 8-13 miles, there is no baton, if one runner is too slow the next person is allowed to set off at a given time, (how embarrassing would that be!!)  It's an accumulated time over the 200 miles, but if you run slower than 10.00 pace you get pulled off! No pressure then! The men have volunteered to do the mountain stages thank goodness. Ha ha DS, I wish it was all downhill!!

I thought you were going to say the men volunteered to run slower than 10mm so they could be pulled off!!!

• jenf wrote (see)

Good luck with the bike ride Reg. But I hope this isn't the start of a move over to the dark side!

Oh no not going over there, I usually try and get a ride in once a week (no comments please malcs and DS2) to work and back. Use it as cross training really. Should be fun.

Then its back to training for 10k pb next.

• DS2 wrote (see)

He's only making up for all those hours he spent on here during the voting stage!!!

• Hey not ignoring your all, my Little girl as broken both bones in her forearm!  so Kinda busy with that and not thinking of training at all!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Oh Crikey! Tigger.

How is she now?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    DS2 wrote (see)

You're not wrong there! Two weeks of my life up in smoke!

Tigger -  that sounds very nasty. What happened? They heal very quickly at that age. Hope she's ok.

Reg - I'll allow you a little biking but if you ever think of putting on the speedos I will have to disown you.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Very amusing Malcs!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

lol Malcs!! I can manage a few lines before it whites out!!!!