Exercise bike for the portly gentleman

Inspired by KK's fit family thread today, I'm thinking about finally getting round to buying an exercise bike for my dad.

I remember that we had a terrible one in the mid-90s that folded up like an ironing board and would tip you over if not careful (me and sis) or too heavy (dad)!

Can anyone recommend a decent exercise bike that isn't too expensive (£200 max, cheaper would be better) that could accommodate a 17 stone man without tipping over? image 

It would be a bonus if I could use it to do some good interval training too, but I have a feeling the spin-type bikes are going to be way over my budget.

Thank you!

Comments

• Decathlon ?  We have a Decathlon X trainer and it's ok for occasional use 

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

If you already have a bike then you could buy a turbo which is a kind of resistance unit that the bike mounts to. They're a bit more realistic than exercise bikes and you can always take the bike off and go for a spin. 

They don't work too well on mountain type bikes as you really need smooth tyres, but any old road (racing) bike will work.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I use a machine from UK Imports.com

IM Fitness XI Racing Exercise Bike.

Cost a shade under £180. 

Its a really heavy duty item; it has a flywheel on it weighing 40lb's, and is almost silent while in use.

🙂

• PSCPSC ✭✭✭

my old dad (mid 70s) has put a hybrid bike on a turbo and uses that.  He loves it and has a session on it most days and records heart rate and virtual speed/cadence etc.  He didn't worry about getting a smooth tyre, he used an old road tyre and it went super smooth within 3 months!  image

The turbo trainers we are all banging on about are like this one LINK

• I use a turbo, it works great, I used my old steel racer, with speedo attached to rear wheel, now I set myself up with a drink on the bike frame and a decent program on the Ipad, an hour and a few miles go by like a flash. Great for unwinding all the running aches too.

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Like running man says, if you can address the boredom aspect the turbos are great. I've mine set up permanently in my shed in front of a TV and DVD player. Great for some 'me' time with a box set.

• Thanks everyone! A turbo trainer is a really good idea, he could move it into the garden on sunny days (so he can tell my mum how she's doing the gardening wrong while he does his workout ... that should prevent boredom!) or into the house when the weather is rubbish. It seems like it'll be a lot easier to store when not in use compared to an exercise bike.