Racing a mile

I'm doing the Westminster Mile next weekend which will be the first time I've actually raced that distance, usually I stick to mid- to long distances and the first mile IS the warm up. What should I do differently to get the most out of the race? Run a mile first? image

Comments

• I'm no track star Xine but I have run mile races in the not too diastant past. I would run at least a couple of miles to warm up with a few strides thrown in. Strides being, when you break into race pace for a few yards. I've always gone by, the shorter the race, the longer the warm up. 

• I would do more than that for a mile. Perhaps a couple of easy miles then 800 or 2x400 at threshold. Then 800 easy. Aim to finish 10 - 15 mins before the race to make sure you are fully recovered.
  • Thanks both! That's a much longer warm up than I would have done if left to my own devices, so that's really useful information. I'll let you know how it goes! 

• My main distances are 800/1500 and my warm up is generally:

8-10 minutes easy
    10 minutes dynamic stretching and drills
    4-5 minutes a bit faster with the last minute @ about 10kp
    5 minutes more intense drills
    4 x 60m strides @ slightly faster than race pace

If you're not doing drills then some more running would be advisable. The strides I think are quite important otherwise the start of the race can be a bit of a shock to the system.

Anyway, that's ideal for me. Often races are delayed and if that's the case I just try to keep moving with jiggling around, a couple more drills/strides etc.

Good luck with the race.

• Simon Edwards - great advice. 

Lou diamond - terrible advice. 

• stanmorekstanmorek ✭✭✭

I ran the Westminster Mile veterans race. Got delayed on the Tube and made it to Green Park with 20 minutes before published start time. Warm up consisted of a couple of sprints in the park. 

It was my first time racing a mile in 20 years of running having bypassed the shorter stuff and spent most of my time on endurance. It's a regret for me having ignored pace now that I'm old and injury riddled and what could've been. Though at the age of 38 I could see how much I can improve my speed image.

I even accidently texted a friend 6 hours 12 minutes...