PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• Nice one J. I've done just over 11 hours this week. Did a flattish/quickish 50 miler today and a 1 hour run/walk yesterday. Foot's still weird but I feel zero pain when running so I am just going to ignore it I think! Got some exercises from the physio to help with my swimmer's shoulder - hopefully I can get that cleared up asap. 3 weeks till my first race. 11h45 planned this week. Hope everyone is well. image

• Jamie - Good to see you having a comparatively easy week.

Bagder - Glad the foot is ok, do take it easy if it isn't feeling 100%

Blisters - do you think it might just be that you're getting fitter?

73 mile in 4:30 on Sunday, all of it felt like it was into a head wind then managed about a 4 miles brick run too. I do feel totally knackered today and glad its a rest day. I'm going to have to mix up my training a littel this week and get my long ride done on Thursday so I can have an easier day Saturday before my first ever tri (sprint distance) on Sunday.

• Scuba, good luck for the inauguration. It's fun.

Did some scuba training tonight, after I'd done a bit of turbo bike. Then it would have been rude NOT to use the remaining pool time, so knocked out 800m as a gap filler.

• Scuba I want too see a race report on Sunday evening or I won't be happy! Good luck mate shame your not racing with me I could shout abuse at you... All helpful abuse...maybe...unlikely......anyway yeah good luck!

• Jamie, you're knocking out some impressive mileages and speeds. I don't suppose there's any connection?

• Yeah I'm having a slightly slack week... Saying that done 20 miles of running already, and oh my good god just had a sweet run first 5k was sub 20 felt like I was floating and a sweet ass swim this morning, must say I'm feeling good with this rest week.... I'm really gonna tho for it on Sunday... Even if it is pouring image

• Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

Good luck on Sunday ST. Have a blast. image

• Yes, full report on my desk please Scuba. 

• 50 mile bike/ 5.5 mile run brick session. The first time I've done one on the back of a serious bike distance. It went ok.
    Bike was 17mph, run was 7:45m/m.
    Dinner was demolished.

• Ohhhhhh blisters that's some good mileage and a good speed, I'm going mad doing bugger all as I have a race on the weekend... I'm attempting not too eat the fridge and failing horribly.... But excellent work mate!

• Thanks all for the support, don't forget Jamie is racing too.

Good luck Jamie!!!!!

Good Luck Rafiki too, hope you first IM goes well.

Nice Brick Blisters.

Managed 4:45-5:00 hours on the bike yesterday and 70-75miles not sure exactly as my Garmin 405 continues to play up GPS wont work and bike sensor give a very low speed/distance measurement.

I'm having issues with my shoulder and physio is booked for next week, might bring it forward if I can. I think it is a classic case of swimmers shoulder, I have a right side weakness which adds to the problem.

Off to the cricket today with a couple of friends and my half Kiwi other half so should be a fun day.

• Yes, good luck to you Jamie too. Try not to brake the sound barrier on the bike leg OK? I have delicate ears. image

Oh no Scubes image not you too! I went to physio on Wednesday and he had another look at my shoulder. Seems I have biceps tendonitis image There's a thickening and tenderness in the tendon and this is causing it to 'catch'/'click' on it's surroundings. I am on a self-imposed swimming ban now until it clears up as it's not getting any better whilst still swimming (despite a large decrease in volume) I am doing shoulder exercises every day to help sort it (concentrating on the external rotaters) Physio did some ultrasound on it to help speed recovery. This is all a bit of a bugger as Swashbuckler is rapidly approaching. I am forced to default back to my old mantra 'if in doubt, wing it'. image

On the plus side, it means I can bike the $h1t out of the next couple of weeks!

• Thanks chaps I'm really looking forward too it! Weirdly I'm looking forward too the run the most 11km though so a bit random, been looking at the awesome Lanza thread and RafI and the other pirates are doing awesome some incredible swim times! 1.17 by Rafi!

badger that's hard luck mate I think rest is the only option mate, don't dwell on it rest up well mate image

• Rafi's been sandbagging image !  keeps telling me what a crap/slow swimmer he is the fibber image

Indeed fraggle. Good to see them all out of the swim okay at Lanza. Go Pirates!! image

• Good to see Raf doing so will 7:08hr bike split now image.

Jamie - Have great race tomorrow, Don't Be Shit.

Not a great days prep for my sprint tomorrow, hangover and tried after day at the cricket yesterdayimage. On the way out of the house for a short brick I knock the back wheel and a spoke breaks. I took it to LBS and bloke had broken his fingers so didn't want to fiddle round with spokes so let me use a spare wheel he had around (better than mine) and will get spokes fixed by his assistant on Monday. As I'm riding, I slipped as I clipped in and smashed the pedal into my shin, cue blood and massive bruise. My mate from the club who was going to race as well has also dropped out. So I'm not really looking forward to a cold river swim and then getting on to the bike in wet stuff in the morning. God all I seem to have done this week is moan image.

Hope everyone else is having a better time of it.

• Oh dear Scubes image   hope all turns out ok tomorrow - where are you racing?

• Faggle - I'm doing Nice Tri sprint in St Neots (Cambridgeshire), I'll let you know.

Having issues working out what to wear under wetsuit and what stuff to put in transition bag, I don't want to be cold but I also can see that getting layers on when wet is going to work well. Arm warmers and a buff might have to do, and maybe not wear my tri top under suit so I can put that on dry in transition. This may be the longest sprint tri transition ever.image

• Scuba - can i make excuses now? Erm my dog ate my bike etc, on a serious note apart from munching a load of food round my old folks place im feeling confident... Havent packed the bike yet but im going with the theory i wont forget anything as ive done it all before image.... Tri suit wetsuit thats about it ... 

currently stuck in a garage in a mway services waiting for the mrs too pick me up... Long story i dont even know how im in this situation!

Poms poms out for subes ad jamie. image

I wouldn't want an ow swim tomorrow - brrrrrrrr. But its only 2 weeks to enduroman half for me so I'd better man up and get in that lake soon. 

Go Raf!! image

Raf's finished. Yeh!!!!! IronRaf. image

• Raf - has finished, what an amazing time. So pleased for him.

• Yaaaaaaaaaay well done too Rafi well done! Ironraf!

• Orsum time sandbagger Raf imageimage

• Sandbagger indeed dodgy little git he isimage need to stop trolling forums up at 3:30 image

• Well I'm done and a new pb over the Olympic distance image 

a mini race reportif anyone is interested

a nice early start of 3:30 am which I believe for a Olympic distance on a Sunday is almost criminal! Rammed a bowl of porridge down my neck and shoved my race wheels in the car off I went... Transtion was the usual quiet affair I have a ritual I do.. It  works for me well so it's all good...

the swim is the usual get lubed up affair, in which I always manage too miss a bit and realise post race I have a nice sore lump on my neck image... Anyway I was in wave 2 and the water was a massive 12 degrees! Swim underway I seeded myself towards the front. Strangely I managed to lead my pack the entire way so no one too draft except the odd straggler from the other pack... Now onto my first issue, my sighting is pretty good but my god it was very hard too sight as it was a marina and boats were everywhere! The swim leg was long almost the half iron distance at 1800 metres, an I came out 2nd in my pck in 30 mins (exact results not out yet) ....

the bike... Now this was FUN it was almost pan flat, 1 small climb and I went bonkers on it racing some other idiots with disc wheels and twat hats I think our average was about 25.8 ish mph and I was back in transtion incident free in 59 mins 25 seconds!

the run.. Well it was long (7miles to be exact) and it was ok I felt fine and ws running at about 6:30 m/m pace but at the end of the lap was a monster climb which was hard.. And to make it worse I had to do it twice, I did get slower adventually hit a 7:20 then a 7:05m/m once again I had the run nemesis who was hell bent on playing cat and mouse with me.. Which as I'm a bit of a weirdo I do like it... Anyway apart from a bit of gut ache in lap 2 it was all good.. oh and I was wearing my pirate hat yaaaaarghing at all the poor spectators!

on the whole a good event well run and a free t shirt... Oh and my unofficial time is 2:23 image

Well done jamie - thats a stonking time. 25.8mph average, crikey. Good swim too. 

• Jamie - Great performance and report. Where did you place overall and in age group?

• Bloody hell Jamie - I think you'll be finished before I'm off my bike in Henley image

seriously though, cracking times there, I am *most* jealous image

• Nice Tri St Neots Sprint Race Report

After a week of rubbish weather forecasts it was nice and sunny but still cool when I got to St Neots. Registered and had time to stop at the phsyio tent for 10mins work on my shoulder, £10 to Help for Heroes and piece of mind for me.

Lots of faffing as it was my first tri and not really sure how to set up transition but back to the car with extra kit with plenty of time to get the wetsuit on and back to the river. 12C is proper cold and took my breath away and made my hands and feet numb straight away. I tried to warm up and get my front crawl working but with little success before the starter called us to the line. Up to the turn round point i was probably doing half and half crawl and breast stroke but then I got control of my breathing and apart form a few short pauses front crawled the second half. Need to work on open water swims and in crowds if I'm going to have a decent IM swim later in the year. 750m in 17:42

T1 I decided I was going to take my time and not be rushed or cold. Quick rub over with a towel compressing socks and bike shoes on, buff, arm warmers, bike mitts, helmet and I was off. 5:29 image

Loved the bike from the start felt really fresh and up for a race. Started overtaking straight away and continued overtaking the whole time. The only people that overtook me were the first Vet Male and first Female from the waves behind me and they were going like the wind with twat hats and disc wheels. Very flat course there was only one hill where I had to change to the smaller chain ring. 25k in 43:24 (something like 21mph average if my maths is right)

T2 rack bike, off with helmet, mitts, on with pirate cap and shoes, buff and arm warmers where forgotten until I started running so they got stuffed into back pocket of tri top. Couple of cheers of Go Pirate, which where much appreciated. 2 loop run across a park settled into a 7:15 pace which was faster than planned but it felt ok so I kept with it. 2 laps felt fine and was over before I know it. 5km in 21:16 (5km pb as I've never done a timed 10km before)

Total time 1:29:21,image wasn't expecting to get below 1:30 so well pleased and if the swim had gone better who knows what I would have got. My shoulder is sore now and its going to be hell in the morning but ha ho.

Good day, nice race and very well organised. Offical time printed just after you crossed the line, how good is that?