Awful Toe Nail Trouble

Hello

I am having awful trouble with my feet and toe nails, in particular my 2nd toe on each foot.

When I run I seem to be clawing my toes and as a result lifting the nail off the bed.  It is absolute agony and seems to heal a little between runs but then the whole cycle starts again on my  next run, even if it is a short 2-3 mile run.

I am doing a marathon this coming Sunday and I would really appreciate any advice you can give.

Many thanks

Kate

Comments

• Do you have 'greek' toes, where the 2nd toe is longer than the big toe? I have this and my nails are wrecked! The only thing I've read about is to get shoes a little bit bigger that can accommodate your feet hitting the front of them. My nails don't lift off the bed, but they're exceptially thick and brittle due to knocking them all the time. Sorry I'm no more help!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sounds like the nails are catching on the top of your shoe.  You need a bigger toe box.  All you can do for now is file your nails flush with the toes so you can't feel an edge.  

All the best for the marathon.

• Sounds like you have a Morton's toe problem, where the Greek style foot has the longer second toe, it can be cured with bigger shoes but can also be eliminated by modifying your insole. I have this and have run with it for years, lost countless nails and been in agony at times. Orthotics would cost me a fortune and may cause other issues so I steer clear but a very small modification will prevent it, it costs nothing and is easy to do. Ive just completed my 22nd Marathon and am now over this problem.  

• Bigger shoes for after the marathon. In the short term, make sure you cut your nails 3-4 days before the race and as T-Rex says, file them flush so they don't catch.

Make sure your trainers are laced securely too because clawed toes can be the result of ill-fitting shoes that slip around, your toes try to grip the shoes to keep them in place.

Good luck! image