Running Machines

I'm looking to get a running machine for my home gym, mostly for winter evening and mid week runs. Can anyone reccomend one that is well built, reliable, with a good, quiet motor, ideally up to 12mph and not too 'bouncy' please? It doesn't need any techno gizmos either - I dont need facebook when I'm running!

I don't really want to spend much more than £1500.

(No, I dont want to join a public gym, we've converted our garage for that very reason... and Yes, I'd prefer to run outside, but sadly this is not aways practical or an efficient use of my time, so is reserved for weekends and summer.image

Comments

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

why is running outside a less efficient use of your time than going to the garage and using a treadmill?

• Really?...Already?image

Where I live is very hilly, I'm in between 3 very steep hills, the only flat pace to run is an unlit, decommissioned railway line, so it's a more efficient use of my time to run on a relatively low impact surface when I want to do Z1 training or intervals as well as for gym warm ups or brick sessions for tri training.....my wife also prefers running indoors at night because it's safer and she doesn't have to inhale poisonous car fumes.

Any suggestions about a suitable machine?

• I have a Pro Rider Mobility one - no bells and whistles but solid/heavy no real bounce.  Practically silent motor with no load on it, when running a rubber mat dampens most vibrations out.  Does 22 kph 3.5hp continuous.  I've had it since Oct last year.

• That looks pretty good, did you buy it from a shop or online? I'd ideally like to try one first if possible.

• GazM72GazM72 ✭✭✭

I bought a Horizon Elite 507 around a month ago.
    It's a really solid piece of kit and feels not too dissimilar to more expensive commercial treadmills in the local gyms. Love it.

Horizon Elite 507 - Fitness Superstore

• I have a Horizon Paragon 408. Top speed 12 mph, top incline 12 degrees. Lifetime warranty frame and motor, 10-year everything else. Feels pretty solid Was about £800 about three years ago. Does have programmes but I always use manual. I have the opposite problem to you, with no hills nearby, so I use it for hill sessions when I'm short on time (since I have to run for three miles to reach anything resembling a hill more than about 50 metres long), and for uphill walking, and for interval sessions sometimes.

I strongly recommend going and trying before you buy - I wanted a Nordic Track untilI tried it in the shop and hated it, while this one felt good.

Note: note pretty much ALL the online prices are PERMANENTLY "X reduced to half-X", so the real price is half-X.

• Another vote for the Horizon Elite 507 (12mph, 12% incline) also bought from Fitness Superstore.  Had one since 2007, just replaced the belt recently (it's also a thicker and better belt (4.4mm orthopaedic) than a lot of other treadies in that price bracket. 

Shortly after that unfortunately the piece of metal where the incline motor attaches to the frame broke, I called the manufacturer (very helpful and proactive), the tech asked me to take a couple of photographs, he called the next day to say that they would replace the machine outright.  So we have now got a brand new model, just as good as the old one.  So although we had a problem with our original one I would still highly recommend it as it worked very well up to that point and the customer service I received throughout was excellent. 

If you do get this model or any other with a cotton backed belt make sure you get powder for lubricating the belt and not liquid as the liquid wrecks the cotton backing, thus killing your belt.