5k in 20 minutes for a begginner

Hey all. 

Begginner runner here looking for a regime to run 5k in 20 minutes.

any idea on a plan? have a couple months to do it. Cheers guys.

Comments

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Run a 5k and see how fast you manage.  Have a look for a local Parkrun as they are held every Saturday and are a measured 5k distance.

If you're a beginner then you don't need to worry about specific training, as just by getting out and running more your times will improve for the first six-to-twelve months.

You'd need to run the first 5k race in a sub-25 time to stand any realistic chance of going sub-20 within a couple of months. Even then the odds are against you, but you may be lucky.

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭

Seriously ?image..................how old and fit are you ?...........what on earth prompted you to set/thinkof such a goal.Is this post genuine ???..........how fast can you run a mile in at the moment ?.......Might give other posters an idea of you general fitness and how much work you have to do to attain such a time.

• Michael Marshall 6 wrote (see

Begginner runner here looking for a regime to run 5k in 20 minutes.

have a couple months to do it.

Before what happens???

• dunno how fast i can run a mile, im 22 years of age a kinda Fit. Not over weight or anything do sports and that.. Its for the Para's 2.5k in 9:30 mins twice round.

cant be impossible to do otherwise they wouldnt have it in their selection tests. 

Cheers for the support though. All this forum does is nock your confidence off :/ i posted another comment about watches and didnt go back to the thread cuz the first few posts moan about my question. Im great full for the good posts i got back but dnt think il be using this forum again, its the worst.

• Hi Michael. Fair play trying out for the paras.

Don't be overly sensitive, the sarcasm/perceived abuse on here will be nothing compared to your training once you're in. Toughen up.

Do you run at all yet? If not but you're fairly fit go out now and do 5km as slow and steady as you can manage and see how it feels. Don't rush it.

If you're still feeling really fresh, Thursday do another couple of miles gently just to get used to regular running. Rest Friday.

Get out and do a 5k this weekend at a parkrun - they're held on saturday mornings all over the country. Google it.

Let us know how you get on and then we can help you out. If you can't manage that 5km parkrun in a fairly decent time it will be a struggle to get under 19 minutes (which is what it sounds like you actually need).

If you can't do it in two months time, when's your next opportunity?

• way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭

MM6 - just had a look at your previous post and quite a few peeps have given very constructive info on the best watch to go for so don't bother not looking just 'cause you thought the first few posts were moaning.....

pretty much everyone who posts on here is very encouraging but obviously they need enough info from you to be able to give you advice. do you currently do any running at all? if not i'd test yourself over a mile or so (all you need is a stopwatch and a route which you could workout from mapmyrun or fetcheveryone) so you've got an idea of where you need to work up from....once you know that you'll be able to get yourself a plan set up accordingly.

2.5k in 9mins30 is pretty quick (under 4 mins per km, or, if my maths is right just over 6mins per mile) which i know for a fact i could never do..... there again i am a short ex smoker who's the wrong side of 40 image

• Hang on

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20153.aspx

Says you need to be able to 1.5 miles in 9 minutes 18 seconds. That means 6 minutes 12 seconds per mile. That's fairly quick, but at least you don't have to maintain it over 5km.

Do the parkrun this weekend to gauge where you are. You can go for speed later, just do the distance this weekend and see what you can do without really really pushing it. And don't get upset if a 12 year old beats you. It happens to me all the time.

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭

Michael, unfortunately you only posted a very brief opening post so its very difficult to suggest any sort of training plan giving so little information.As has been suggested you need to gauge your current speed, park run being a brill idea , then you will know how much traing and the type of training you need to do.Have a look here 

www.the5krunner.com

theres a blog about a sub 20 min 5k , you may get some ideas for your training scheduleimage

• Nicky McNamerson wrote (see)

Hang on

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20153.aspx

Says you need to be able to 1.5 miles in 9 minutes 18 seconds. That means 6 minutes 12 seconds per mile. That's fairly quick, but at least you don't have to maintain it over 5km.

Do the parkrun this weekend to gauge where you are. You can go for speed later, just do the distance this weekend and see what you can do without really really pushing it. And don't get upset if a 12 year old beats you. It happens to me all the time.

There is usually a 3 mile warm up before you have to do your 1.5 mile time so having a good pace over a full 5K is a good idea.

• EssexLion wrote (see)

There is usually a 3 mile warm up before you have to do your 1.5 mile time so having a good pace over a full 5K is a good idea.

Why, the sneaky little so-and-sos!

To be honest though, as long as the 3 miles is a genuine warm up at a much slower pace, that just makes it easier.

• Nicky McNamerson wrote (see)
    EssexLion wrote (see)

Why, the sneaky little so-and-sos!

To be honest though, as long as the 3 miles is a genuine warm up at a much slower pace, that just makes it easier.

Yeah it's much slower pace 10 min/mile stuff. Still running at the pace for 2.4km is a killer.

• Absolutely, 6 minute miles is a full on sprint for me. I can do a seven and a bit minute mile without feeling like I'm going to die, but it's not easy.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

There are beginners and there are beginners... When I started 13 months ago I was 15st and i'm 5ft 3...

Now coming from that sort of level with not saying a thing about yourself except tell me how to run 5k in 20 minutes in 2 months and i'm a beginner.... you can understand that well you didn't supply enough information.....

If you started off I can do x at the moment and I really need some help as i've got x to do because of y .... might have got a slghty more credulous and helpful response image 

If you are joining the paras .... I think you might need to have a slighty tougher skin then someone that gets upset about the odd jokey comment when they don't make themselves clear to begin with image

Your 20m is possibly not what most people call a "beginner" image

• What exactly does 2.5k in 9.30mins twice round mean? 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

5k in 19m I guess two x a 2.5km lap? 

• So why 5k in 20 minutes? Why wouldn't you say 5k in 19 minutes? Nobody says I did  my parkrun in 10 minutes for 2.5k twice round. Not trying to nock(sic) him but he needs to be clear.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

maybe he's hoping 20m is close enough. What's a minute between friends... image

• Probable life and death when your'e jumping out of a planeimage

• How long is the rest between the 2.5k loops?  If its a few minutes or more then its doable.  19mins is bloody tough though if its no rest (a true 5k run) without adequate training.  A sub 19min 5k would be in the top 10 every week at my local ParkRun (around 150 runners)

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Well to be honest who bloody cares how fast you run... When you are floating down in your parachute, I'm not really sure your leg turnover makes much difference? 

• Michael Marshall 6 wrote (see)

Cheers for the support though. All this forum does is nock your confidence off :/ i posted another comment about watches and didnt go back to the thread cuz the first few posts moan about my question. Im great full for the good posts i got back but dnt think il be using this forum again, its the worst.

You need to man the fuck up, Marine!

Your commanding officer will eat you alive if your confidence is knocked by a few anonymous amateur runners on a website.

• Pudge? Are you DF3?image

• According to runbayou as a 20yr old recruit all of them have to be in the top few percent of 'local class' runners - I think thats impressive though doubt all the troops will still be able to do that (especially the higher up the ranks you go).

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

Pudge? Are you DF3?image

I am not worthy of such an accusation.  DF3 is now the stuff of legend. 

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Jump down to point A

Run (very fast ) to point B

Still be able to fight and fire gun accurately at point C.

...Would need pretty good legs (plus a whole lot more)