Online Entry/Registration for Runs

Good morning

I volunteer for an organisation that organises a run every year. I'm responsible for sorting out the online entry system and I'm keen to revamp it this year. I'm not actually a runner myself and thought the best place to go for advice would be to the runners!

So, I was wondering if anybody could offer any advice or things to avoid. I'm sure many of you enter runs online/offline regularly and must see things that work well or that just really frustrate?

Any tips on what to avoid, or what is a 'must have' as part of the process would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

Scott

Comments

• no charge or just a small reasonable charge for doing it online..........hate it when they charge you £2 or more for the privelidge4 of making it easier for them

• Yes - just make sure that you don't charge more for online entry than it would to pay for 2 lots of postage & envelopes - not too hard nowadays.

Make sure you have a clear system for informing runners whether or not they have been accepted and how you will disseminate race info.

Decide whether or not you will send numbers out in the post or expect runners to collect on race day. If the latter, then sign it clearly and site it well away from runners registering on the day. Whatever - make sure runners know what to expect.

• Thank you both for your feedback. I know a lot of it seems obvious, but it's good to get feedback and make it as easy as possible for the runner! So, thank you for the advice!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Secure payment transactions and not just payment by paypal. This includes everything that has been mentioned above.

I agree to making it very clear about race day logistics:

• Where to park on the day
    • Public Transport
    • Organisational help
    • Race information (what is available on course and where)
  • making it clear if ipods are allowed or not image

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Any chance of providing a facility for entry transfers?

• Thank you all for your response, it is appreciated!

@Taxi Driver, please forgive my ignorance, but when you say a facility for entry transfers, do you mean to tranfer the entry from one person to another in their place?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Yep - that's it. Entry transfer between runners. I don't mind a small (2-5GBP) admin fee but to move entries between runners is desired.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

No extra charge for entry on line.  Build it in.  I know it amounts to the same charge, but it irritates the hell out of me.

A course map is always worth having.

If you are going to ban earphones, make sure it's really clear at the point of entry, and follow through - if you threaten to disqualify users, then do it.

I know it's not on-line entry related, but PLENTY OF TOILETS.  

Queuing for ages  (to the point of missing the start, or the start having to be delayed) is what really, really is what irritates me the most about races.

Talk to the people who organise the Paddock Wood half.  They know how to put a decent number of portaloos on! image

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

An "Are you drunk?" button, to allow you to cancel your entry once you sober up.  image

Seriously, I hate it when you have to go through several pages to find out how much the entry is - I think some online entry websites assume that by hiding the cost you are more likely to still enter if you have gone through several hoops before you find out. 

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Nessie wrote (see)

An "Are you drunk?" button, to allow you to cancel your entry once you sober up.  image

Seriously, I hate it when you have to go through several pages to find out how much the entry is - I think some online entry websites assume that by hiding the cost you are more likely to still enter if you have gone through several hoops before you find out. 

Definitely!  Make it clear on the home page.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

egatoccs -- Yes...  And as per Emmy H, I wouldn't object to a small admin fee, if applicable.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

egattocs -- Will this online entry system be used for just the one event or would it possibly be used for others?