half outlaw

Comments

• I did the route for the half on Saturday and found it a really great route, some real fast bits. image  I have decided to put my Tri bars back on for it.  

Slightly worried about no open water sessions as yet as I have a new wetsuit that I have yet to try.  I'm planning on getting to Thorpe lakes on Tuesday just to put my mind to rest.

• saffers ...... how bad are the hills? and what are the roads like?

• The hills really are nothing to worry about. Oxton hill goes on a little but not major.  The roads are good, the second section of the route was much quieter and faster until you got to the speed humps leading to the National Watersporta Centre. Although it was windy and last year on the full distance it was windy too........is it always blinking windy in Nottingham?

• image I think its always windy in the UK image

• Yes, probably right but I do seem to notice it on race days much more than usual image

rest day for me today, thank goodness as my Achilles seems to want to come back and play so I am telling it to bugger off!

• I have picked up a rather annoying cold. Hoping it goes away asap. At what point does racing become dangerous in this kind of situation? I think I'll be fine by race day - but any professional opinions would be appreciated.

• I'm not professional, but usual rule is, if the cold is neck and above, you'll be fine, if it's in your chest, then stop training or racing.

• image Timmy you sexy beast long time no see. image

Is anyone camping the night before? I'm waiting from the boss to see if it's ok to go feral for the weekend got to many mates doing this not to say hello. 

• Cake wrote (see)

image Timmy you sexy beast long time no see. image

Is anyone camping the night before? I'm waiting from the boss to see if it's ok to go feral for the weekend got to many mates doing this not to say hello. 

I will be, but I'm volunteering not racing!

• Cake wrote (see)

image Timmy you sexy beast long time no see. image

image Probably camping.  And I'm just doing the bike in a relay team, so can hang around while the runners finish!!

• Shall we have a list of who is racing?  Or is there one and I have missed it?

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

not sure if there was a list at the beginning of the thread, so let's make a new one:

racing

mathschick
    saffers
    steadyCJ

it would be good to meet up with people at one of the race briefings - I haven't actually met anyone off here except for cake briefly. Then I will know which friendly faces to look for on Sunday morning when I am looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I am already on the list and have 2 friends also doing it, N and S.

• Would be lovely to meet some friendly faces on the Saturday.  Not sure when I will get there, aiming for the briefing at 1 and then have the 3pm one to fall back on.  I shall be in my pirate jacket smiling image

• Stick me on the list image

im Saffers partner in crime - Oxton not major? It was for me image

• racing

mathschick

saffers

steadyCJ

LJB1

woooohoooooimage

• How exciting - just read back a bit - Iron Sister whats your granny ring?

big mistake I made at Oxton on Sat with Saffers was tried to stay on big ring - doing ok till I turned the bend and it carried on up ! Swift change to small but too late - i did it but needed oxygen image

LJB1 - I had changed into my granny ring but still didn't make itimage will have another attempt this Sunday then just hope for the best on the day

I am finding swimming in a wetsuit really hard though so hope I make it through the swim in time

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I have a granny gear/ ring as I have a triple ring at the front. I still run out of gears on up hills though.

I will be wearing my pirate jacket aiming for 1pm briefing but it might be the 3 as not used to driving long distances.

• racing

mathschick
    saffers
    steadyCJ
    LJB1
    TimmyG (bike of a relay)

ok, I will aim for the 1pm briefing and wear my pirate jacket tooimage

• I'm racing (?) too

racing

mathschick
    saffers
    steadyCJ
    LJB1
    TimmyG (bike of a relay)

Southern Snail

Just managed more than 50m swim in open water so am beginning to think if I stick at it I might actually just make the swimimage

Don't have any pirate gear but will say hi to random strangersimage

crapping myself about the event, but really looking forward to meeting people from hereimage

• A question for those in the know - I want to wear my proper cycle shorts for the bike part as a pose to tri shorts, so what do I wear under my wetsuit. Do we change in a tent for the half or in full view of everyone?

Also wasn't planning on it being winter weather in June so I'm trying out different jackets etc to decide what to wear on the top half. I hate being cold and presume I will start the bike with frostbite unless the lake's heatedimage

• mathschick wrote (see)

LJB1 - I had changed into my granny ring but still didn't make itimage will have another attempt this Sunday then just hope for the best on the day

I am finding swimming in a wetsuit really hard though so hope I make it through the swim in time

If I could I'd meet up wih you this weekend and get you to the top of Oxton Hill!! Unfortunately I'm moving house so I'm likely to be too busy!!

If I remotely get the chance I'll let you know!! 

When you se your granny ring on te chainset do you also shift to the largest cog on the cassette (the cogs on the wheel)??

Little sister - thanks for the thought. Yes, I go right down into the 'easiest' gear (I have to think about it like that...), I think because of knee problems I have just avoided hills and turboing in a 'hard' gear so I just haven't built up enough. Oh well, I'll give it my best on Sunday and let you all know, and have another shot on Monday maybe as it isn't too far for me to go

good luck with your house move

• When you get to he point that the gradient starts in creasing start changing your gears to the easier ones. You should ideally be pedalling a the same cadence as you go up the hill, always change gear before you start to struggle!

when your pedalling up the hill, focus on a point say, 20 to 30 yards  in front of you (maybe a fence post or a tree) tell yourself you're going to get to that point and keep pedalling. About 5 yards before you get to that point focus on anoher spot, again about 20 to 30 yards away, tell yourself you are going to make it. Keep repeating this until you get to the top!! And remember, once you're over the top there is a fantastic descent down into Southwell!! You will do it!

BTW I have carp knees too!

last time I tried was the time I conquered drinking while moving, so this weekend will be conquering the hill timeimage

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Racing
    mathschick
    saffers
    steadyCJ
    LJB1
    TimmyG (bike of a relay)
    Southern Snail
    AliBear30

I thought this thread would have exploded this week, but it looks like we've all been too busy with last minute training to post! I came into this weekend thinking I'd be out of the race before the end of the swim.

Now I think the swim should be OK but I'm not so sure about the bike or the run. Funny what training sessions can do to you.

Great news is I finally managed a decent (for me) OW swim on Saturday, I completed 1 mile in 45 mins! Yay. image I didn't feel too bad either although hands and feet were numb as it was only 13 degrees in the lake.

I did a long bike and a long run this weekend too, both were too slow to finish within the cut offs but I'm hoping the cut back this week and race day nerves will boost my speed on those. I know I have cycled and run quick enough in the past so just have to hope I can channel it on the day.

I've been desperately trying to stock up on wet weather gear and then out came the sunshine this weekend and now I need to buy some suntan lotion! I wonder what the conditions will actually be on the day.

I'm rather over excited as I have to get everything organised today as I'm mega busy at work this week. So today I have sort out all my race gear and all the camping gear needed for a family of 4 then figure out what food to take and when I can buy it. Oh and read the race info pack properly to figure out what I'm supposed to do!

So whay am I on here? Oh yes so I can go eekkk with everyone else image