RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - I would have thought that increasing your long run should be the focus with the other runs during the week being about building a base. I would tend to agree with you on the speedwork. Interesting to hear what Spoons has to say.

•  impressive pace there Andrew! I used to use runkeeper app and similarly the garmin always measured shorter. The garmin is more accurate for the simple reason it records your position much more frequently than the free apps i.e. over 100m the app might only work out speed and distance over 3 reference points recorded whereas the garmin will take maybe 10 reference points of your position along the same distance. Therefore by nature of it collecting data more often it has to be more accurate. If that makes sense?!

Carter - I would agree .. build the mileage on your long run.

Mental monday at work today so didnt get running until after 10pm tonight. Ran a gentle 5 miles @ 9mml pace on the treadmill. Groin felt further improved but not completely gone. Proving a slow one to resolve image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl/Ricky - thanks, that's what I thought too but...I can only run 7.5 miles before the knee pain kicks in. That means I would be running a few miles with pain on my long runs which may slow down my recovery ? Whereas by increasing each run by 0.5 miles i would be running with pain for less time each run but on a more regular basis. 

• Carter - yep - go for number 2. You could build in some light speedwork. Just not eyeballs out. Just chuck in the odd 5 minutes in the HMP-MP range. That shouldn't aggravate things too much.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Running the Edinburgh marathon this weekend, had a bit of a bad week last week as I was on-call and ended up missing a midweek 5M easy run and a Saturday 3M easy run. I was away down south visting family over the weekend but managed to get a 10M run in on the Sunday morning and got out this morning and did some fartlek training running 10 x 200 metres at 40-45 secs with 30 sec rests (unfortunately on the street, couldn't make a track) so that put a zip back in me thankfully. I have been a bit of a bystander taking in bits of information from you all but just like to say thank you and hopefully it will come into play on Sunday image

• Good luck on Sunday Nell, I wouldn't worry too much about missing runs at this stage.  be sure to tell us how it went once your done!

• Nell - all the very best! Edinburgh is one I,d love to do. Hope the weather is kind for you! As Andrew says an enforced rest will do you no harm - prob stand you in good stead in fact! Looking forward to the obligatory race report expected on this thread!

No running this evening - 60 balls at the driving range instead. I have a charity golf day on Friday and up until a few hours ago hadn't swung a club in 12 years! Hitting the ball surprisingly well! does that count as a flexibility session?!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Updated race list below. Not sure if I have all the details on Oirish's planned exploits for this year. I have added a few others that have been mentioned and a few more for my good self. An planning an easy run for tomorrow night having just got back from 2 days in Madrid.

May 26th - Edinburgh marathon - Nell Blue

May 26th - Wallingford 10k – Andrew

May 27th - Bupa London 10k - Carl

June 2nd - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

June 8th - Larne Half – Ricky

June 9th – Wargrave 10k - Andrew

June 9th - Southend HM - Oirish

June 19th - Lisburn Half - Ricky

June 22nd - Wales Trail marathon – Spoons

June 23rd – Toad Hall 10k – Andrew

June 23rd - Torbay half - Big_G

June 23rd - Hampstead Midsummers 10k - Carl, Bruno

June 30th – Thame 10k - Andrew

July 7th - Regents Parl 10k Series - Carl

July 7th - Lake Coniston half - Carter

July 21st - Olympic Parl Anniversary 5m - Carl

August 4th - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

August 25th - Torbay 10k - Big_G

September 1st - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

September 29th - Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

October 6th - Chester marathon - Carter

October 6th - Royal Parks HM - Carl

October 20th - Yorkshire Marathon - Hannah

October 28th - Dublin marathon - Ricky, Bruno, Oirish and Carl

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Nell - best of luck on Sunday. What time are you aiming for ?

Carl - hope the ankle is getting better. 

Ricky - depends on your handicap ? I got down to 12 before I started running Xnd gave up the golf. 

Went for a trot tonight and got lost ! Went down a path I've never been before and I ended up in the middle of nowhere and through the golf course and out the other side. Maybe I should ask Oirish for help on navigation. Anyway, it ended up being 9 miles which is rather nice. Had a bit if knee pain from quite early on but didn't get too bad and kept coming and going. Feeling pleased with my progress now, lets hope it continues 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - great news on the run tonight and excellent to see that this thread is contagious. Maybe we can now all move on from niggles and injuries to 'getting lost'. image

Not sure about the ankle. Flight home did not do it any good but I think I need to run. I am aware of it more than anything which is a bad thing when it comes to running as the mind cannot stop thinking about it. I am going to try and get to a running shop tomorrow and pick up an ankle support and then go for it to see what happens.

Nell - best of luck for Sunday. As others have said I would not worry about a few missed short runs.

• So plenty of racing this weekend then! Nell, Andrew & Carl. Lovey stuff! image

Carter - lol Oirish taught you everything you know! Sounds like a great run - very promising. I can the hear the optimism in your post!  I was only a club member when I was a young 21 yr old whippersnapper in the early 90's for a couple of years. It was a notoriously long course with an infamous par 6 (which then held the record as the longest hole on a UK golf course) and I played of 18.... so nothing too spectacular. Friday will be "fun" as we are playing the championship course at Portstewart on the north coast. It's links course and notorious as being one of the most difficult in Ireland! Will need to bring plenty of balls!

Carl - good luck with the run... hope the ankle's ok. Going to run tomorrow also - easy as I'm trying to manage this groin niggle. Hoping now to gently run through it as I have had too much rest in the last 2 weeks! Managed to run through the knee niggles pre-marathon so hoping I can do the same with this one.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback, helps with the motivation! You are all correct of course, it just knocked me a bit last week as I have managed to keep to my training plan throughout....but the work brings the money in!

Of course I will be glad to put up a report after the race Andrew/Ricky and hopefully a good one. If I get under 4 hrs I'll be happy Carter. As it is my first marathon I do not really know what to expect but I just want to enjoy it, after not being able to runmore than 2 miles back in Jan with the ITB problems at the moment I am feeling quite blessed to be running a marathonimage

An impressive list Carl, I can see you are to be busy? Hope the ankle is feeling better soon. Remember ice is your best friend....lol!

Speak soon guys, take care..

• blimy Carl, just noticed how often your name appears on the race list! hope the ankle holds up for them all.  In a desperate attempt to catch you up can you add Oxford half mara on 13th Oct for me!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Andrew - discovered a 10k race series close to Khomeini and assuming that the ankle does not object to Mondays 10k it will be a good test for me over the next few months. 

Will add your HM to the list.

On my way home and will don the running gear for an easy trot. Hopefully everything will hold up and I will report back later. 

• 5 mile very hilly run this evening at about 7.50 m/m. Only problem is it agrivated my ankle/achillies problem. Feels very tight as I run and tender. Shortly after I finish, it feels almost normal again, ice helps alsLot been doing lots of calf and achillies stretching and think I may get a sports massage to try and ease it. Just can't seem to work out what is wrong with it.

• Carl hope the run went ok this evening.

Lovely sunny evening here so went out with intention of an easy 5 miler and test progress of my recovering groin strain.

Felt good on w/up mile so stepped pace up for mile 2... still no sign of injury so decided to do miles 3 & 4 at HMP. Just felt groin a little on mile 4 so slowed off for the 5th and final mile. Feeling ok now and the most positive run I have had since Limerick in terms of the niggle. So feeling quite hopeful after that session that I am well on the mend image Splits:

8.50; 8.18; 7.28; 7.14; 8.12

• Andrew - I have a client who is a physio and she tells me that every time you shower you shoud pinch each Achilles between your finger and thumb and self massage for 10-20 secs each.

She tells me if you are a runner this will help with achilles tightness. Never tried it though as I haven't so far suffered from Achilles problems

*touches wood/everything crossed*

• Thanks Ricky, will give that a go... Sure the wife will enjoy being told that I have to self massage in the shower!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ok so from tomorrow I am self massaging in the shower because I am a runner image

So I went for a run tonight for the first time since my encounter with a loon (now that this is an official word endorsed by the government).

How was it I hear you say. I am still waiting for me to answer that question to myself.

The first mile to mile and a half were not the most enjoyable I have ever run. The ankle was tight and sore or maybe the soreness was in mt head. The calf was tight and as I was very conscious of my ankle I think I was running badly causing pain in my leg.

So decided to try and loosen it up by going a little faster. There must have been some logic in my thinking but I might just be barking mad.

Through mile 3 and pushed a little harder during mile 4. At this stage I could still feel it but not like mile 1.

Closed out with a slower mile.

5 miles in total with splits of 8:50; 8:30; 8:20; 8:00 8:40

While I was concentrating so much on my ankle I was not really thinking about what else I was doing and I was pleasantly surprised when i was looking back at the garmin. It did not feel like this when I was running.

The ankle tightened up alot after I came back in and have sprayed it with cold stuff and been icing it since. Feels a little better.

So the good news is I can run on it. The bad news is that it is still bugging me but maybe I just need to run through it.

So I will be running on Monday and need to decide race strategy. I do not think I will gun it from the start. My aim will be to set a new PB but I may keep the sub 45 attempt for end June / early July.

But then I might just be feeling great on Monday morning and go for it. Who knows.

I will rest tomorrow and go for another run on Friday night. I am probably going to do 6 miles with maybe one mile close to target 10k pace.

Good to see others out running and generally recovering after what has been a tough winter campaign on this thread. Summer is coming sometime just not yet !!!!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

There is far too much self massaging taking place here !!

Nell/Andrew/Carl - are you ready for your races this weekend ?

Ricky - sounds like your recovery is going well. A links course on the north coast sounds like a 'test'

I'm going for a little run tonight with the aim of throwing in a few miles at MP to see how the knee reacts.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

5.5 miles for me this evening with 3 @ tempo. Was attempting to run at MP (8:30) on feel but the splits came out at 7:45, 8:03, 7:57. Blowing a bit at the end but another promising and confidence building run

• Hi all, I've been struck down with a stomach bug these last couple of days so apart from Monday and Tuesday's runs I have mainly just been doing shuttle runs.

I think my week of good living has caught up with me as my body has been feeling rougher and rougher ever since the weekend and getting back into the running routine has tipped the scales. I think a few more days of a proper diet should see me back on the straight and narrow.

Anyhoo here is my race list as it stands at the moment:

9/6 Southend H/M

30/6 Mersea Island around the Island race 12.2 mile XC

6/7 Para 10

14/7 Dartford H/M

24/8 Thames Meander Marathon

8/9 Langham 10K

28/10 Dublin Marathon

• think my ankle is gonna need some rest after the race this weekend, think its gradually getting worse. Almost wish it would just go properly as its so tempting to still run on it when it feels like this. As before it felt reasonably ok today after being sore last night. Did my track speed session and other than the ankle being tender now it went really well.

I warmed up with 2 miles at just under 8 m/m then ran 7 x 800m with 400m recovery my 800 splits were: 3.19, 3.19, 3.15, 3.12, 3.13, 3.13, 3.16. Even with my ankle being annoying I should easily go under 45mins on Sunday (fingers crossed) which is the first priority, then ill see how close I can get to 43!  

Massive good luck Nell and Carl for your races on Sunday!

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carter, Yes I think I am ready. Everybody keeps telling me I should be now...lol! Feeling a bit odd not running anywhere near as much as I have been, but just trying to get the right balance of nutrition in the taper. Just keeping the stretching and my few regular ITB exercises up, nothing strenuous.......Good to see your miles are rising Carter, what is your regular regime now to keep the ITB problems away?

Thanks Andrew, not bad splits for someone who's ankles just about to go ;0)

Good luck over the weekend Andrew, you too Carl, I hope you get the times you are after....

• Andrew an impressive session - looking forward to hearing about a great 10k time! Hope the Achilles holds out!

Carter - very encouraging from you, things seem to be improving more quickly now?

Carl - a bit inconclusive but it sounds more like bruising than any sort of strain or tear.. still reckon you'll be fine.

Nell - I'm a bit jealous! This is an exciting time just a few days before a marathon - I can't wait until my next one. Enjoy!

I have a super busy Bank Hol weekend ahead with Golf, Work, Kids Party over next 2 days & then off caravanning Sun -Tues. Hope to get a trail run in at The National Trust property we are camping at image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Updated race listings for 2013.

May 26th - Edinburgh marathon - Nell Blue

May 26th - Wallingford 10k – Andrew

May 27th - Bupa London 10k - Carl

June 2nd - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

June 8th - Larne Half – Ricky

June 9th - Wargrave 10k - Andrew

June 9th - Southend HM - Oirish

June 19th - Lisburn Half - Ricky

June 22nd - Wales Trail marathon – Spoons

June 23rd - Toad Hall 10k – Andrew

June 23rd - Torbay half - Big_G

June 23rd - Hampstead Midsummers 10k - Carl, Bruno

June 30th - Thame 10k – Andrew

June 30th - Mersea Island around the Island race 12.2 mile XC - Oirish

July 6th – Para’s 10M Colchester - Oirish

July 7th - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

July 7th - Lake Coniston half - Carter

July 14th – Dartford HM - Oirish

July 21st - Olympic Park Anniversary 5M - Carl

August 4th - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

August 24th - Thames Meander Marathon - Oirish

August 25th - Torbay 10k - Big_G

September 1st - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

September 8th - Langham 10K - Oirish

September 29th - Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

October 6th - Chester marathon - Carter

October 6th - Royal Parks HM – Carl

October 13th – Oxford HM - Andrew

October 20th - Yorkshire Marathon - Hannah

October 28th - Dublin marathon - Ricky, Bruno, Oirish and Carl

• Crikey that's a list and a half! I'll have a race to enter by the end of next week!! image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

5.5 miles for me this evening with 3 @ tempo. Was attempting to run at MP (8:30) on feel but the splits came out at 7:45, 8:03, 7:57. Blowing a bit at the end but another promising and confidence building run

Carter - some great splits from somebody with a dicky knee ...... great to see that the confidence is there to get some pace into the runs. Always challenging after an injury.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Andrew - very best of luck for your 10k on Sunday. Going for sub 43 with a dodgy ankle. Amazing. Looking at your recent splits it looks like you are much faster than me so go for it I say. I have a sneaky feeling that you will be there or thereabouts.

Nell - best of luck for your marathon on Sunday. You have done the training so nothing more for you to do except turn up on the day and enjoy it. Make sure you do not go off too fast as you need to be in good nick at mile 20.  Looking forward to hearing your report on the race as it may be one to consider for next year. Have always wanted to go and visit Edinburgh so maybe this would be a good excuse.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - crazy bust few days for you by all accounts. Yes very inconclusive but going to be on that start line on Monday morning. Have got to drive up to Liverpool on Saturday evening and back down on Sunday evening. My little fella is taking part in a football training session at Anfield. He will be so excited when he finds out. But the long drive will not be good 10k preparation. So it will be what it will be.  Last year when I broke the 50 min mark it was a sweltering hot day and I can remember having to stand in the shade of the tress on the mall while waiting for the race to start. Not so sure I will have that problem on Monday although they are forecasting taht it will warm up a litlle from these rather cold days we are having. Also last year, despite my best efforts I could not beat Mo Farah.image