Sub 3h15

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Nice session there PMJ. The wind is always the thing that makes me struggle with track sessions. Normally, I like them, but credit to you for keeping them 'tidy' when it's like that.

When are you planning on an all out 5K assault?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - I expect it was a bit nippy out on the beach this morning!
    GM - you'll be back in the swing of morning runs soon. I live in King's Lynn in Norfolk, so it's a fair jaunt from the east to west coast to Southport.
    Ant - good hilly run. Best of luck with the HM.
    KR - I am seriously thinking of knocking this evening run on the head - maybe one experiment which is doomed to fail. I have much more control over the mornings.
    Minni - great news. Steady as she goes.
    Poacher - I'm heading over to Derbyshire for the Bank Holiday weekend - Bonsall, near Matlock. Do you know any nice shortish runs in the area?
    PMJ - those reps look fairly consistent to me and a decent pace.
    I've just realised that I need to re-schedule Saturday's 15 miler (not a wise move to go out for a long run the second we arrive in Derbyshire), so it'll be an extra early start tomorrow morning.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Gul - nice (and rather hilly) part of the world that, I don't know Bonsall but obvious places to run are Carsington Water - the Cromford Canal - and the High Peak trail.

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/90486/hptisstrails.pdf

The HPT is the 2nd half of the White Peak marathon.

If you like chips, Matlock Bath is the place to be.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Cromford has some nice pubs (on a non-running-related note) and also the best bookshop ever.

• Gul - careful you don't get altitude sickness on all those Peak District hills! And yes, it was a bit breezy this morning. 

Minni - I'm shocked! Never had you down as a rebel.

Good reps PMJ

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

As we're talking sexual stereotypes I should mention that manflu is still keeping me low. I've missed 3 days training now including my club 10k where all my pals got PB's in perfect conditions. I might try a gentle plod tonight.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Minni - nice one, are you stopping due to tightness or just being careful ?

PMJ - are you still chasing an Autumn marathon and a 2:45 to get a champs start ?

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Cheers PMJ, - I would swap my 5ktime for your Mara time in a heart beatimage

Night off for me with a touch of manflu too. Not sure the chicken and chips with a San Miguel is the best recovery meal I cold be takingimage

• DS2 wrote (see)

When are you planning on an all out 5K assault?

The assault started in early March and is progressing steadily. Highlights so far: March 2nd I did King's Lynn parkrun with Gul in 18:53, last Friday in April I did the Brooks Last Friday of the Month in 18:23. Next Friday I will do the same and hopefully come up with something that if it isn't 17.xx it is at least 18.0x. In 2011 I did 17:49.5 in July off a series of 18 5ks over 16 weeks and same sort of game plan this time: just run each one a few secodns faster than the last knowing that I didn't collapse and die at the end so I can push a bit harder.

TR wrote (see)

PMJ - are you still chasing an Autumn marathon and a 2:45 to get a champs start ?

Plan is being adjusted a bit. The aim was always to shoot for 2:45 at VLM 2014 (and I have GFA for that so already in the bag) which means I can run VLM 2016 from the champs start when I am 50. There were two autumn marathons planned, one as a VLSR and one as a race, Newcastle Town Moor. Looks like I may have to drop the raced one as it doesn't seem to fit in with any plans: I would do base in June then campaign in July, August, September and October and I have a week in Italy, a week in Russia, two weeks in the USA, a week in Cornwall and a week in France so that is six weeks out. Also the "race fast by racing fast" plans seem to be working well and I fancy a shot at sub 60 again for 10 miles and that will be Cabbage Patch in October. Seems like my life style allows for a spring marathon and not an autumn one and my dislike for major sub zero temperatures keeps me out of Russia and New England in the winter meaning I have to be there relatively more in the summer.

• Mennania wrote (see)

Cheers PMJ, - I would swap my 5ktime for your Mara time in a heart beatimage

You can always teach fast twitch muscles to run long, you can't teach slow twitch muscles to run fast. That 17:29 is scorching and if (when) you carry that speed to longer distances you will get a tumble of PBs.

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Evening all

Glad to see misogyny is still alive and well in this little corner of ccyberspace

Good luck for sat Ant. I'll be in Lancashire in July doing the lytham HM. Maybe see you there?? Bring your ukelele

Pleased you're slowly getting back into it minni. The enforced break must have half killed you

mennania. That was indeed a serious 5k outing. Looks like you had more in the tank too. That field sounded ridiculous too. Presumably it helped a bit to get you such a cracking time?

• TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - understood, it'd be hard to get back to 2:50 shape by Autumn, but with another 6 months until VLM 2014 you have a chance of getting under 2:50 if you can stay healthy. Getting a 1/2 time of 1:18 ish by the end of the year would be a good start.

• TR wrote (see)

PMJ - understood, it'd be hard to get back to 2:50 shape by Autumn, but with another 6 months until VLM 2014 you have a chance of getting under 2:50 if you can stay healthy. Getting a 1/2 time of 1:18 ish by the end of the year would be a good start.

I think I could do 2:50 at Abingdon but not Newcastle. Not sure about the 1:18 half though. I did 2:57 off 1:22 and 2:50 off 1:20 so hoping for 2:45 off about 1:19. 2:45 should be 1:22 and 1:23. It really is about scraping it down to the last second and getting it right so the pace is fast enough to come in on target and yet not too fast to blow up. If I can do 1:19 then 1:22 has to feel easy.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

It was a double edged sword to some extent Frazerelli, My missus come out of the pub and started walking to the finish as she thought she had missed me or I had pulled up - due to the volume of runners going through without me. it was sobering to realise where your abilities actually sit when weighed against a respectable amateur field in a low key race in a tiny little place in the NW of England. 84th out of 321imageI somewhat naively expected to be top 5 for age group at least (15th). it was unusual and unexpected to be in the masses after 4 k.  Conversely what was encouraging was the fact that progressive pacing still works at this distance. After 2k no-one took me and I could charge forward comfortably with little resistance., which is to my liking.imageI think I got my pacing wrong circa 15 secs - I never recovered from the forced slow down in the 2nd K and was 3 secs or so a k behind thereafter, but managed a fast last K so maybe it balanced itself out.

All that said and now that I know what to expect I am definitely targeting it as my A 5k race next year and will defo use those around me to improve and am looking forward to getting into the top 50, which means a sub 16.45 at least. Am planning for it already.  Onwards and upwardsimage

• TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - I equate 1:20 to about 2:50 shape for most folks - not myself as I've never run a 1/2 in a campaign, but I think I'd fit that too. So reckon that you'd need to be well under 1:20 to aim 2:45, so if you could get 1:18/9 by the end of the year and before the VLM campaign starts then you'd be well set. I see 2:45 as a big jump from 2:50 in terms of mileage and training needed. I think you'd need to be 1:17 ish for a 2:45 attempt.

• Fires of Hades, the bar's been lifted.

• Mennania, on the Moraghan Training - Stevie G thread there are a few guys who also ran Christleton and one came 2nd V40 so has a tuen of speed. Come over and introduce yourslef to the thread and get some tips on the 5k.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

TR - being sensible.  I know I've got time on my side and pleased I got the marathon out the way. So, beingsensible and enjoying a bit of other life! 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

image  Mennania don't go!  we all know that the only distance that matters is the marathon!! image

• TR, I did 2:50 of 1:20 and there was room for improvement in terms of managing the  last 6 miles. I did 1:25 and 1:32 first time out, then tidied it up a bit for 1:24 and 1:26 so 1:22 and 1:23 is not a big step but 1:21 and 1:24 would be.

2;45 is ambitious but possible, and it may be two bites so 2014 may end up 2:47, then 2:45 in 2015 for champs in 2016 as V50.

I have to agree Minni. Other races are fun and all that but we all know they're really just messing around as an appetiser for the entree 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Poacher - yes, I'm looking forward to the hills, although I suspect my legs aren't.
    Literatin - thanks for the heads-up on the bookshop!
    15 miles d&d at silly o'clock this morning - longest run since July 2011, I think. The rhodadendrons are usually in full bloom by now at Sandringham but they looked a poor show this morning.
    Good luck to Speedy, Frazer and Ant plus anyone else racing this weekend. Catch up next week!

• Frazer - Now that is really exciting. I've entered the Lytham Half too, so, yes - see you there! It'd better not be windy, though, looking at that course...

How I'm going to get there from Southport on a Sunday morning is another matter! Thanks for the heads-up, anyway!

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Up at Gul O'clock for a casual 12m up and down Winter Hill for a nice view of the Thames in the drizzle, and then in recent thread style completed the duathlon with 4 walking the dogs.

PMJ: 2:52, 2:51, 2:49, 2:51, 2:49, 2:51  "not the tightest grouping" image - I guess you strive for perfection.

Good luck to the Edinburgh contingent this weekend.

• I don't know how you can spell, let alone say rhodadendrons before 7.30 am in the morning Gul!

Ant. Excellent. Will be great to meet you. I may well be able to sort out some sort of lift arrangement on the day. We'll liase nearer to the time

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Winter Hill - Sings 'Climb the long grassy track to the top of WInter Hill'  One of my altime fav songs - Doves!  Nice early morning MLR AR

Will check out that othetr thread PMJ - Thanks for the head up as I have only ever trained for longer distances and could do with some advice.

Minni -  You wont be getting rid of me that easy!

Easy four for me this am, toying with Parkrun tomorrow.

• Frazer - Hurrah!

PMJ/AR - Yes, I mean - those those reps are all over the shop, aren't they?

• AR - Winter Hill certainly sounds more appealing than Bike It's Nob Hill (double check to make sure that the word ''hill" has appeared!)

Rest day for me today - might sneak a few hills in myself tomorrow morning.

Anyone worried about overtraining? If so, worth a read of this: http://duncanruns.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/the-art-of-overtraining/

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Reminds me of that guy who ran the Paris Marathon whilst on death's door the other week Lorenzo.