Advice needed for the BUPA London 10k

CWDCWD ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm running in the London Bupa 10k this weekend. I have run a few other 10ks recently (4 over the last 4 weekends) with the fields consisting of up between 150-1000 runners. as a relative novice (I took u summer running -I play rugby during the winter months- last year running about 5 10ks and a half marathon. My question is this: There are about 12,500 in this weekend's race,I have never really had to think about race tactics before now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What are you hoping to get out of the race?

With so many runners i doubt you will have much chance to employ any tactics.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Tactics unlikely. A race plan perhaps.

🙂

• CWDCWD ✭✭✭

Millsy, as a relatively new runner (2nd summer of running) first and foremost I want to enjoy the occasion, maybe a pb, but I'm really just looking to make it around the course without making silly errors. 

RicF, yes 'tactics' a poor choice of term, a race plan would be more applicable for what I need.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

This kind of huge event doesn't lend itself to pbs (unless it's your first race).

The kind of event you've done previously is much more suited to that - fewer people to get in your way.  A huge field like this will be frustrating and irritating.

Too many people will start far to far forwards for their actual pace, and get in your way right from the start.  You'll spend a lot of time getting round them as they start to walk from about 2k (and I'm not even exaggerating, never mind making it up!)

• CWDCWD ✭✭✭

Thanks Wilkie - this is something that I hadn't considered. Of course there will be many first-time and inexperienced runners , not to mention fun runners who will doubtless pose the frustrations that you mention. 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Wilkie has given good info on the main frustrations you will come across. Unless you are starting right at the front it will be unlikely to be a PB race. Use the race to gain experience of large events and try to enjoy it.
  • Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭

Carl, I did this race last year and had a far better experience than the above comments would suggest. Wilkie is right about the frustrations of (some) big races but in this case there was a well-organised wave start and no problem with having to pass slower runners or annoying walkers! It was a sweltering 29 degrees but I managed to get a PB (just) so don't dismiss the possibility.

• CWDCWD ✭✭✭

I'll be starting in the third wave (C) on the day which I would expect to be some way ahead of the 'walkers and joggers' so hopefully I'll be able to establish some momentum early on in the run. Caz - I suspect this years race is going to be considerably cooler than last year (let's hope the rain holds off). 

Thanks all!

• Try to run your own race. Keep an eye on your pace: even in big races it is possible to get carried away with field and set off too fast. But if it is conjested, don't burn yourself out trying to weave in and out of everyone. Go with the flow then try to establish your own pace as soon as the field opens up, but don't try to make up for lost time too quickly. 

Good luck and enjoy the atmosphere of the big event.

• CWDCWD ✭✭✭

Thanks Lou. That's very helpful. A couple of years ago I made that mistake of getting caught up in the occasion and going off far too fast in my first half marathon (which I had done very little by way of preparation for) and ended up learning a painful lactic-fueled lesson. I'll see how it goes for the first 2-3ks and take it from there.