Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    EmmaC wrote (see)

...Sleepy is usually the bouciest most positive person in the world!image

25 miles of Oscarr's jokes, though? Sleepy was remarkably restrained image image

• Good point well made Ten!

If Sleepy is an oreo in human form what is Oscar....... (with his cheesy jokesimage)

• Off to see Eric Clapton at the Albert Hall tonight - can't wait

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Just booked Travelodge in Greenwich for next April image  Flexible rate, in case anything goes wrong, or I change my mind about staying in London. I might travel down on race morning, but I thought I'd better book a room before the mad scramble starts.

Still waiting for my VLM deferral email.....

• Ten you have done the smart thing. It makes such s difference!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Cheers Reikki. Just one less thing to worry about image.

• LOL Em - he was very well behaved!!!! I only pushed him in the ditch once - can't quite remember whether that was for singing or a bad joke but on the whole he was very lovely company!

Glad it's not just me getting excited by 2014 already.  Already thinking ahead to my Kielder sub 4 plans!  Anyone fancy it?

How are you doing today reiki?  My big toe issue (felt like I'd pushed it back into it's joint before I went up a size in my shoes) seems to have settled and CW had no adverese effect - phewweee

Yesterday was just delicious - could have stayed there all day - the flotation bed was a bit star-trekky - basically a pod that you lower into (with a waterproof surface between you and the water) that is supposed to relieve all weight on your joints.  Odd but very very comfy!  And my skin is all girly and soft today!  Happy days!

Stats from CW for anyone who wants them:

Ascent = 2532ft  Descent = 2385ft

Ave HR = 159 (85%) - bionic boy's was only 78!!!!

No surprises - off the chart training load wise but I'm back down in green and officially classed as recovered today!

• Some great stories since I last checked in - well done to the intrepid marathoners and other afleets.

I've been making plans too and have a booking on a hotel in Boston for 2014 - same place as we were in a month or so ago.

Eric Clapton - ooh, one of my all time favourites....say hello from me Oscarr.

Gearing up for parkrun on Saturday (easy); Newbury 10k on Sunday (hard!) and then a recce out to stage 5 of the Ridgeway Relay (10m out and 10m) back to the car on Monday.

• Mike - take care with that Ridgeway run on Monday

• Hi all

My issue has moved down to mainly involve the anterior tib tendon right at the ankle, walking is back to strong, just a bit sore, similarly walking downstairs it's not liking the bending to allow the other foot to proceed.

But much better.

Pool and Tui Na later, may get back to Pilates tomorrow.

Enjoyed the details of CW , great stats.

Got soaked yesterday when we put on our annual mini marathon in a local park - there is some talent and love of running out there no doubting it.

Great fun and beats work.
  • Great night with Eric last night, played most of my favourite tracks and boy the man can still make a guitar sing.  Only problem was I fell asleep on the train coming back and missed getting off in Reading so ended up in Didcot at half past midnight - not a pretty sight!!

• Here is a great training article which should help us all to improve - it includes some pace benchmarks as well. Enjoy!

http://running.competitor.com/2013/05/training/run-faster-by-improving-your-lactate-clearance-rate_52609

Oscarr - nothing to do with being a vet groupie boy then....Lol!

• Oscarr that has really made me giggle! I had a frientwo traveled from Victoria to red hill but he slept through his stop and endedon Brighton. Get back on the return train guess what ... Fell asleep and ended up ... In Victoria!

Another chap I know decided to cycle home on a 'Boris bike' - he cycled for an hour parked his bike up and set off ... From exactly where he had picked the bike up from.

Needless to say alcoholic beverages had their part to play in both incidents! image

• thanks Em - i did have one or two sherberts myself !!!!!!!

• hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah oscarr!

Interesting read Mike!

Glad you're on the mend reiki image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Nice stats Sleepy! image

Oscarr - LMAO! image

I ran 23:07 this morning for my 5k parkrun PB by 25 seconds. That's a great ending to my marathon recovery period! It will be interesting to see what some dedicated 10k training achieves over the next few months.

• NIce one Ten....

I committed the unforgiveable "faux pas" - forgot my barcode so it is possible that my 21:51 converts to a DNS.

The sunny morning tricked me into leavng my rain jacket behind to which is permanently fixed.....the barcode with emergency contact details! Doh.....

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Mike. I'd love that time and I'm hoping to get there before my next marathon.

I have a spare barcode behind my car sun visor, just in case I forget. It made a nice change not having to worry about layers for the run.

• Mike thanks for that article, I ahd done the alternating one, but always sped up at the end rather than slowing, and it makes sense to vary it - I do love the science.

Ten and Mike well done for those ParkRuns. A 25 second PB is major over 5K.

I'm still at the pool and bike stage, although I did have a breakthrough yesterday that is looking promising. A concerted attack on the sole of my right foot, especially near the arch following a bit of cramping there a couple of times, released something and, for the first time, felt like *it*.

I think I could maybe even run, there's definitely no apparent muscle or other damage according to my massage person.

Oscarr the first time I came to the mainland on my own was for a college interview. I was so distracted afterwards that I came down to London to head home, but went to the wrong airport!
  • Good news - the parkrun police allowed my time to stand!

Today was Newbury 10k time - well actually it is 10.3k as they have set it to start and finish in the market square which is fair enough I 'spose.

Brilliant day for running, bright sunshine and cool at least at the start....

The key to this race is controlling the start as the first 2k are uphill. So blasting down the high street at 6:19 min/m pace was not in control so I backed off a tad. Loads streamed past me but I smiled 'cos I knew they would suffer as we moved to the off road grass and trail section - and they did.

5km came up in about 21:30 and then a fun run back into the town and the crowds to cross the canal before the last 3k, part of which is on the canal towpath. Having negotiated that we have 1.3k to the finish on tarmac.

Kept up a hard pace to the end and finished in 49th/831 position and a 2 min course PB in 42:32 - (6:44 min/m) happy days, and great packing with team mates as five of us finished in a range from 37:xx to 42:xx.

Steak and wine never tasted better after that....

• Reiki - wrong airport takes the biscuit...!

Mike - awesome running mate - steak and wine, now that's an idea...

• Jealous of the Clapton night out, great story Oscarr, been listening to Old Sock his latest album. Went to see Gordon Giltrap and Oscar Wakeman on Saturday night in a small venue near Matlock good night though would have preferred Clapton myself.  Love the last mile story from your marathon well done to both..........did a short fast three on Saturday am and the kitchen is done so going to get back on it now as got a couple of halves for the autumn lined up. Time for some work enjoy your bank holidays folks. Good to see the banter continues.  Cycling home from work tomorrow should be fun rain predicted. The first three miles is up hill then across the windy moor, its like time trialling in a wind tunnel then down in to Chatsworth Park with more hilly bits to home. 18 miles taking me about an hour and a half due to those hills how do the professionals go so fast?

Ten thanks for the information on heart rate. Time to get some books out and stop working so much!!

• Mike that's an awesome time - very jealous!  Enjoy that steak and wine! imageimage

Penultimate big B2B completed - really looking forward to my taper but this weekend's weather has made 9 hours of plodding much more likeable! 

Glad to hear your still with us mcs - looking forward to hearing about your halfs.  I was consiering the Tissington Trail half but am going save it for next year - gotta like a half that's announced as being downhill!!!! image

• 9 hrs Sleepy, awesome!!

mcs - you would have loved Eric - did a couple from new album but a broad selection of others from Chronicles, 461 and finished with a resounding version of Sunshine of Your Love and of course the obligatory Leyla.

Did my 10 mile incl 6x1mile @TMP - went a bit mad and did the miles at 3 @7:42, 2 @7:38 then last one @7:26.  That last one was at my 5K pace and the others at 10K pace.  OK, Sleepy don't get on your  high horse, I know, just cos i can i'm not supposed to do it.......but, it was fun!!!!

• After taking a rest day yesterday just in case my injury disappeared overnight, it was back to the bike [2 hours during a Poirot], followed by an hour's Aqu Jog, and then a super catch up with a good friend at the very quiet spa.

Leg/foot/ankle/whatever the latest manifestation is much better, but I tried skipping/boundng in the kitchen and no, it refuses to get involved in anytihng of that sort.

Glad to see some great training and running going on, from SB's endurance to Mike's speedy 10+K.

Nice to see you mcs!
  • I feel as if the ultra community has lifted a hem for me ......this w/e I have run a parkrun, a 10k race and an out and back on Stage 5 of the Ridgeway Relay Swynscombe Church to S Stoke, making a total of just over 30miles.

Todays effort involved a lot of climbing in the Chilterns, especially on the return to my car, but I ran the first leg at an easy pace and stopped for navigation and photos fairly frequently. It was a stunning run - through the beechwoods all dressed in their fresh spring leaves with a carpet of bluebells beneath.

The only challenge on the way down the trail was the hundreds of roots that made a fluid run very difficult, oh and  I counted 13 or 14 kissing gates along the last 2 mile stretch next to the river Thames before finding a cooling pint of Brakspear's best bitter at the pub in S Stoke 10+ miles and 1:50:xx from the start. Running time 1:38; navigation & photos 12 mins!

So after that there was nothing else to do other than renegotiate the kissing gates again (still no-one to kiss) and then back up the trail. The return leg was hard and it took me 1:55:00 but I thought like an "ultra" and walked the really hard bits - ahem, that is what you guys do is n't it?

Fabulous w/e being a full-time runner while Mrs S is on a girlie week with our lovely daughter who has just finished at uni.......one more hill to climb and this one leads to bed!

• LOL Mike - doesn't even need to be a 'hard' bit!  I really miss the Chilterns - hoping Ben'll get posted back down that way one day.

oscarr - bad, naughty, wicked boy!  I shall be doing my TMPs today based on my heart rate (91%) whatever pace that may turn out to be! 

reiki (((( ))))

• Great adventure Mike, well done - you'll be doing The Ridgway 24 hr soon !!!

• Ridgeway 24hrs? I don't  think so Oscarr, still learning how to run the marathon!