Hydration While Running

Just wondering how everyone hydrates on the move?  I have a real problem with this and with the warmer weather coming up I'm not sure what to do.

I have tried one of the handheld water bottles but I don't feel comfortable holding anything and it just annoys me.

Was thinking about the Camelbak Hydrobak or a waist pack with a bottle.  Any recommendations?

Comments

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Its all down to personal choice. I typically do my training runs with one of those donut shaped bottles but typically use a belt during races but don't carry water (gels and jelly babies). During training have you ever thought about leaving a bottle or two enroute?

A lot of people swear by the the various camelbaks. Other people hate them. I keep meaning to try them. You'll need to try them and see what you think.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

How much does one of those bottles hold? Just drink it all before you leave the house.

Its what stomachs have evolved for.

🙂

• I only find I need to drink on long Sunday runs and then it is usually only very small amounts, most of the water bottle gets poured on my head / face.

I usually buy water en route, most shorts have a pocket for a little change. If I run through my local park there is usually an ice cream van that sells small bottles of water or the shop in my local golf club.

A good source of buying water on route are petrol stations.

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Don't bother with a camelback unless you are going for long distances- they are hot to wear, so you'll just sweat even more. Waist belt is fine if you can find one that doesn't jiggle.

Other wise- buy water at petrol stations, run past public drinking fountains, or hide filled water bottles in bushes enroute if you can really be bothered.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    For a bottle holding waist pack the Nathan Elite is very good. Needs to be tight and the bottle pushed round the back, but sits comfortably and doesn't move. Runners Needs still have them for ??23 delivered.

For a backpack the Camelbak Hydrobak is good. Again it has to be tight and it might take a few try outs to get it to stay where you want it. It's light and not intrusive once you get it fitted right, but I find Camelbaks a little bit of a faff. Though some people love them. Amazon or Lanson Running for about ??30 delivered are as cheap as anywhere.

Another possible idea is Isogels to keep you going if you feel dehydrated. The High 5 Isolgels are good and Wiggle has some deals on them.

Or all three and you could be like a running water cooler.
  • Don't really need water under an hour,i carry an old hydration back pack without the bladder as I lost it,I put water bottle in there and any gels I want.i take it off my back while running and get out the bottle.

but I only do this at about mile 10.even at this stage I don't drink much,I used to drink loads thinking you need to.

did a 12 miler and only drank about 250 ml. And last week I did a 17 miler and had about 500 ml and one gel...but Iam too thinking of a hydration pack again.but the prob with them is you can see how much your drinking so have to be carefully and not over do it.

•  I use a Hilly bum bag with bottle and have two zipped pockets for gels, keys and little things. It takes about 5 minutes to get used to and then you forget its there.

• On my long runs I always carry my camelbak which takes 1.5 L's.  Also, I always have electrolyte on these long runs.  I have been doing interval training on the long runs (10 mins running, 1 min walking) until I am able to run the half marathon distance without walking.  I always drink on the walk breaks.

Yes, the resevoir part is a pain to clean out.  Hubby bleached it for me the other day (rinsed it out 10 times or more) as they can get yucky if not kept clean.

For the short runs I take my waist belt with a 2-3 bottles filled with water only depending.  The waist belt takes up to 4 bottles.  I tend to have a drink at the half way point on these shorter runs, i.e. up to 10k.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    I tend not to need much to hydrate with but my mouth gets very dry, especially in the summer, so I'm +1 for the Nathan waist belt. The one I have holds the bottle on a 45 degree angle across my back and sits very comfortably with no giggle. It does get a tiny bit sweaty under the wide part of the belt where the bottle sits, but nothing major. There is a small pouch for keys, gel etc. I got mine from Start Fitness for less than a tenner. (Use discount code RW10).

As someone suggested, secreting bottles along the route is a good idea too, especially if you have a route that loops past a certain point.
  • I hate hand held bottles as well - so on a long run I either go out the night before and place a drink or twp where I can access it easily enroute (preferably near a bin as well!), or use the water for washing hands in toilets (as long as it's safe obviously).

For a run longer than perhaps 14 ish I would use a belt - just bought a Nathan belt but not yet used it but used to use a High 5 one but found the pocket at the back really hurt my spine and it bruised it on long runs! Couldn't find a way of moving it around to run and not notice it.

Anything up to 10 miles I don't tend to drink anything anyway - beetroot juice and chia seeds just before I go out does me fine!