Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• seren - mountain maras = the way forwardimage

• You lot are mad. I'm going to have to stop hanging around here. Thats why I'm doing this ironman in the first placeimage

Just had a good swim. No further than last time and no longer in the water but I was able to function after so HPP better be warmer and I might cope. 

They assure me sighting is easy because you follow the side of the lake. Better be true. You should see the shape of the 5 sided figure I swam today on the garmin map. Looked like a lovely star! No wonder the lap covered over 900mimage

• Britrisky wrote (see)

And next year's plans being ...?

Well, i quite fancy doing IM Western Oz image. BUT..... i need to lose lots of weight and get strong first, otherwise i'll end up with another DNF, and i don't want that. So if i've made really good strides towards goal weight / better core strength etc. by the end of the year, then i'll sign up for IM WA when it opens in December. Cripes, i've gone and said it now, EEEEEK! image

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

My focus will definitely NOT be IM!!

I always thought I'dlove training for an IM - I always loved marathon training, but this has been too hard, too much time,  too miserable, and too teetering on the brink of injury for my liking.

Next year will involve fell walks with OH, other non exercise related hobbies, and continuing to do these things I enjoy, but in more sane quantities so I have  more time for other things!!

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Lee the pea...I always fancied the look of busseltontool....mainly as my lovely little sister lives in Perth ansort seemed like a good excuse to go and see her.

Maybe I'll just go and have a holiday instead!! Mind you. - they do have a half IM there in about may I think. Maybe that's moremay style!!

I think I've overcooked the training actually - done too much, all quantity and absolutely no quality, got slower and slower, and as a result I feel less fit instead of more.

I have no speed, and have done no events or races as I'm too worried to taper or try and go fast.

aRGH!!

• K9, it sounds like you might be a bit overtrained, and need to rest a bit! don't overdo it in the taper period either, you'll not lose fitness, but you could pick up an injury which could totally scupper your race,

yeah Busselton is lovely. I lived in Perth for a year in 2003, loved it, so it would be great to go back. Actually when i was there, a friend was training for the City to Surf race which i think is about 12K? Anyway, i remember thinking 'OMG i could never run that far' so it would be funny to go back for an IM, hahahaha

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Lee - I think I must be overtrained! Yet I don't really feel unwell or overly fatigued - at least, not out of proportion anyway.

Ive just got slower and slower which I can't get my head around!

I want to taper now!!

Anyway - I actually think I will 'taper' my cycling as I have 6 days in the alps in mid June cycling which will be tough I think - so will rest up until then, try not to overdothat in the alps, and then return into the proper taper...

Running I'll press on with for another 2-3 weeks as I need some miles in my legs and I've only been able to do 20-25 miles at best per week.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Actually, looking through my fetch log...I seem to have done 23 rides of 90 miles or more over the last 12 months.

• K9.i haven't managed 25 miles running on any of my weeks............and i think you have done a hell of a lot of cycling...and we all know your swimming is strong as you love that......

take a long taper.....the hard work has been done..............arrrive at the start line fresh and ready to go....if you arrive at the start line without injury you will have a brilliant day image

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

25 miles per week isn't an average, it's a peak, and I've only managed 2 or 3 runs in any one week. A longer run easily bumps the weekly total up.

Ive also only cycled 2-3 times a week, but have done a fair few time consuming long Saturday runs.

I know we all have busy jobs andtether commitments, but I feel as though there isnt much time left over these days!

And I'm SO into my cooking, baking (and eating) and don't have time to experiment!!!

• Jesus christ K9!!!! I think it is safe to say your cycling training is fine! Defo cut it back if you're overtrained. It always seems great to do so much, but if you overdo it, you'll jeopardise your race. also, don't judge your own efforts against anyone elses - no point. It is your race, no-one elses, so don't overdo it to try and keep up with anyone etc., as only you will suffer.  I'm not saying you you're doing that, but saying it mire. A way to say it is okay to ease off if you've done enough and are in danger of overtraining

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Ah next year I turn 40 and have a ranch holiday in the states planned, that will do for me image Hence the rush to get this IM madness done and dusted this year.

• K9 sounds like you have the endurance in the bank cut back on the volume and start to up the tempo for the next few weeks but make sure you recover from the previous before you do another fast session, then get a nice 2 to 3 week taper in , job done image

Lee IM Australia nice! Roth for me, Bruv and the Cornish gang next year if Aussie don't happen you are welcome to join our happy gangimage

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Thanks all...I think you are right.

The girls I'm off cycling with in the alps are all faster but don't do the distance - that will serve as tempo sessions!

Hey - when I say I've done all those long rides, that's partly because I did a big cycling trip in NZ in November - and I built up endurance for that. I never really thought of any of that as 'training'...it was just cycling!!

• Missed all the good weather due to family matters so decided to go for a ride with Horse, 15 mins in it started raining and didn't stop all through the ride, feet and hands were wet through and freezing cold (14c) managed 30 miles  with avg speed 15.1 mph so happy with that and things are going well training wise image

K9, my brother lives in Bussleton and has just competed in the Busso HIM, only problem is it fills up really quick.

Lee, my brother set up the running club in Busso and has now just organized The Bussleton Marathon  for September if your interested. image

• Sounds good K9!

what time of year is Roth Ridgeback? Part of the draw of IM oz, is a) it is flat! and b) in December, so plenty of time to train, hehehehe. I bet it sells out quick too?

• X-post Razor. That's good going! Pity about the bloody weather though, lol

• ROTH is the end of June and is flat and fast, sells out quick the only drawback is I think the cut off is 15 hours?

• Is it? Bugger. Might be too quick for me, hahaha.

• Lee - IM Oz - the race report is going to be great ... What I'd give to join you ...!!

• image image Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

hee hee hee 

Oh god i've actually got to do this now i've said it don't I? image It'll be awesome! image

• IMWA is brilliant - did it in 2009 - the hottest December day they'd had for years!

K9 - chill girl - you've the miles in the bank. Don't worry about feeling slow, it's like the first time you marathon train, as you build the distance the speed goes but it will come back when you taper.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Little M.ss Happy, did I meet you at Buskinson half in Weymouth in 2011?

I marshalled at IMWA in 2010 and it was brilliant, it's one I really REALLY want to do .. I do keep suggesting it on the 'what to do next threads' image

• Just saw the rest of your post Razor!  It certainly is a lovely part of the world to live in; has he been out there long?  Sadly i'm too skint to head to Oz this year, hehehe.  Sounds like lots of folk are interested in IMWA.....GROUP OUTING!!!!!! hehehehe

How did you get involved in the marshalling Pingu?

Yeah the heat will be the main concern for that LMH (well, apart from the having to do the actual event) - may have to take up cycling whilst wearing 40 layers of clothes to represent the heat, hehehe

•  

Lee... He's been out there for about 18 yrs, he spent 10 yrs in the Ausie Navy and hes been there since, he used to have a gym but for some reason he closed it. He set up a running club in Busslton and organized the Busso Half Marathon about 6yrs ago, 400 entries the first year, now 5000. He's just set up the Bussleton Marathon for September this year and interest is gathering pace. I would love to an Ironman there and like you said , it's very flat and a fast course. Maybe one day. image

• We did indeed Pingu - you had your strange flip flop injury at the time image (at least I think that's what it was).

As I said Lee we had the hottest December day for I think it was seventeen years. The swim was beautiful, lovely calm, clear water and as easy to sight at Holme Pierrepont due to the jetty (which was being renovated at the time). Bike was three laps I think (they've changed it now) including riding through the eucalyptus forest which smelt amazing but as the day went on and the heat and wind rose it was like riding in to an open fan oven. I think they recorded 36C which felt even hotter on the run as it bounced back off the tarmac - some people were leaving the run course for a paddle on the way round. Flat as a flat thing though and I'm better off with it being too warm than too cold so suited me. Lovely locals too - it seemed as though the whole town was involved in some way. If anyone does sign up and they still do it take part in the 'adopt a foreign athlete' programme - a class at a local junior school adopted me and I went to have a chat with them pre-race and they turned out and were cheering for me on the day. Wonderful experience.

• That's fantastic Razor!  Massive half mara that. I'm sure the full mara will be a success judging by the half image

LMH - the thought of people having a quick paddle to cool down on the run sounds hilarious, although slightly terrifying, lol.  When I was living out there, the hottest day it got to was just a wee bit over 40C I think, on my birthday in November.  I was sitting a flight test that day, and being in a small plane on the tarmac was like sitting in a greenhouse. At least it is a dry heat rather than hellishly humid.  Still, not sure how i'd cope biking/running in that. Sounds like i'll need a pre-race holiday to Lanza to test out some training in the heat!!

I love the sound of the 'Adopt and athlete' programme, awwww!  How cool would that be?! image

I am making myself laugh in that i'm talking about doing an IM in the blazing heat when i've been finding just marathon training a struggle this year, lol.  Oh well, onwards and upwards.  It is good to have a goal!! image After all this chat, I just hope I can get in before it sells out now, lol

• It only struck me afterwards that the only way I could tell whether I still had ice cubes in my bra on the run course was by patting it to feel for lumps! Never felt them cold or melting.

Guess it will a late night in early December for you Lee. Wish I could join you - I'd love to go back.

• Ha LMH, the flip flop injury !!!  That's probably the worst injury I've had and I did it when I was standing still watering a plant!

Adopt an athlete is a lovely idea, bet the kids were really excited about it too image

Lee, I was in Oz at the same time the race was on and and really wanted to get involved, it really inspired me to sign up to IMW.