Just A Little Bit Further 2013

Comments

• Morning,

Miserable here & sonn a house full of children who wan't want to do anything expect play on computers!!!

8.6 mile run for me yesterday & a biy of treadmill later. May do some speedwork!!

Franny- hope you are ok & looking forward to your report.

Loula-I am still dithering - not sure I am ready for an ultra!!!  

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

morning

AF - let them play on the computers, it is half term and raining, they may as well!

need to ring and see if the hairdressers can fit my kids in, that will be loads of fun - not. They are moaning already....

• MC-You are right as it is so miserable.We were going to London,but, decided against it as we didn't want to trapse around getting soaked. 

• Hello everyone.I hope you all had a nice bank hols.I spent 3 days redeveloping my garden.Absolutely shattered now having had to walk a ton of soil from the back garden 40 yards to the front where it will be collected,and i chopped down and cut up a big tree.Already to start planting things next weekend,which is the nice bit of gardening.Didn't get any running done,but i had my fair share of physical exertion.Managed to get some college work done too.I'll be hard at it trying to get all my work done in the next 2 weeks.Then i'm free to concentrate on my running and next years marathon.

Franny,well done on a brilliant marathon.I know you were struggling a bit in the run up,and had big injury troubles last year,so a PB is a fantastic result.I'm so pleased for you.

DJ - bet you are shattered after all that hard work in the garden. Well done on getting the college work done too

my kids have actually been playing nicely all day long (so far) and I have been defrosting the freezer - what exciting timesimage

off to the gym when OH gets in, but I won't do too much

• Afternoon Everyone

Sorry I didn't get on yesterday but been feeling poorly again. wasn't really over the blasted cold in the 1st place and it has come back with avengence after my race  but feeling much better today. Legs were very achy yesterday but much less so today.

Race report to follow so ignore if you wish to.

MC..is it your HM on Sunday???

franny - hope you are ok, rest up and get better soon

it is my half ironman on Sunday, I feel underprepared and scared but am just going to give it a go. Trying to be a good girl and take it easy this week and get lots of sleep

• Edinburgh Marathon Race Report

Date Sunday 26th May 2013

Awoke to blue skies and sunshine so looked like it was going to be hot one again despite the forecast to be overcast and cloudy with spots of rain. Made sure I had lots of sun cream on as did not want to be burnt.

Breakfast was the usual porridge with honey and cinnamon followed by plenty fluids. Didn’t have to leave so early as was getting picked up at 9am which was luxury as normally I would have got the bus at 8.15. it was great having that extra time at home so as I didn’t have to use the horrible portaloos.

Got to the start and by this time it had indeed clouded over and was actually quite cool so thought yay perfect conditions for running and felt silly having put on suncream.

Wasn’t long before  we were off and running and had planned to go steady at the start and really thought I had settled into  nice comfy pace BUT on checking my watch resalised I was going too fast and managed to slow down slightly. The 5 miles down to the coast went very quickly and by that time the sun and blue skies had reappeared and it was getting hot. Thought we would have got a sea breeze but alas no. Anyway onwards I went and settled into nice 9.3m/m pace and was too look out for Hubby’s cousin and wife who were to be at the 7 mile mark sitting on a high wall. We spotted each other at the same time and gave them a huge wave. It certainly put  a wee spring in my step. Just before mile 10 was where the inlaws would be and they supplied me with gel and drink. Off I trotted and was doing well for time at the 10 mile mark. Just after the 10 miles a spectator shouted that’s you all half way.Erm No I don’t think so.Obviously someone who can’t count…..LOL Got halfway around 2.05 so all was going to plan. Must have nodded off between mile 13-15 as I thought I was coming up to mile 14 but it was 15…Ha Ha if only the rest of the race went by like that..lol

Hubby,son and Chico were at mile 16 so got sprayed gel and juiced and licks from Chico. I would next see them at mile 20 on the opposite side of the road. It all went kinda wrong from mile 17 as Achilles started to ache and my calf had tightened up considerably. Also the ball of my left foot was very sore but was trying to ignore all this and keep running but had to sort of walk/run the next few miles.SOMETHING THAT I DID NOT WANT TO DO but well needs must and reassessed my time plan. New there was know way I was going to get 4.15 so next plan was to get my sub 4.30 and then reassessed this at mile 24 as time was slipping away. The last mile I just dug in deep and willed my legs to push faster which they did. Funny how you can push on when you know the end is in sight. The sight of the finish line was enough to push me even faster and just as well  coz boy did I cut it close. Turns out I got a PB by 1 second.Phewwwwwwwwwwwwww. Got over finish line and wretched  but nothing came up thank goodness. Seen a guy I knew from the gym.never again we both said in unison.hee hee. Went and got my normal shaped medal unlike last years rude one and went to the macmillan tent to get my much needed massage. By the time I had that Hubby,son and Chico were there to give me hugs and licks. Chico was hyper excited to see me.

Time for mara:4.36.04

Splits of: 10k 57.35 Half 2.05  30k 3.11.11

So as you can see it went horribly wrong in that last bit. Not sure how I can tackle that ever and really do struggle to keep decent pace further on into the race but am pleased I comlpeted my 4rth marathon with a PB even if it was by  1sec  especially as I had been ill with the cold  and still was not 100% on race day. I am having a break from marathons now until 2015 and going to concentrate on getting my HM time

• You will be fab MC and enjoy it. yes and rest up this week. Big respect for doing ironman as its something I could never do.

And regards ultra running : there is now way I could ever do that.my wee legs would never be the same again..ha ha..will leave that to young superfit LOULA sis.

franny great report, massive well done to you. How is your achillies? 

• Thanks MC..its a bit tight but will be okay. The massage person at the macmillan tent said it should be fine and it has loosened off quite a bit. Not  running this week anyway but will maybe cross train tomorrow at gym.

• If you fancy a look at pics/video follow link below and put in 14561

http://www.results.edinburgh-marathon.com/ 

some great pics there frannyimage

• Great report and pictures Franny.

DJ-Hi and well done with all of your hard work at the weekend.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

franny sis!!!!!!!!! you look amazzzzzzzzzzzzzing !!! go girl!!

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

great pics and little vid! my goodness they charge a lot for the digital download pics!! my one i use for FB was only a fiver!!!

• Yes they are expensive, they were the same firm as the one who did Brighton. Did however have to buy a photo of my 1st marathon. Don't normally by race photos as they are expensive.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

i dont  either usually !! but the centurion race photographer was brilliant. first time theyve had one and he was so good. hi 5 ing runners and took pics in excellent parts of the course. the pic i bought was the only one of me ive got i like and it was at my fave bit of NDW complete with centurion tape!!

• I can't make the site work for me so can't see the pics image

but great report and really well done on your result Franny.

The drizzle cleared up this afternoon, so the intervals session was quite nice after all.  I did about 3 quarters of it, didn't want to push the ankle too hard but feeling ok at the mo.

• Morning all!

Great photos Franny. Well done again!

Louise - well done on your interval session.

DJ - hi! Well done on all your hard work. Nearly at the end of your course now!

Hi everybody else!

Woke up very itchy. I think something has been making a meal of me in the night. Time to get the mosquito plugs out....

Have a good day all.

morning all

Jude - I always suffer with mosquito bites, well any insect likes to make a meal of me apparently

Louise - good news that your ankle is holding up

I had an early start to get a little run in before OH went off to work, took it easy and did more walking than necessary. On Sunday I am planning to walk the run bit anyway - don't think my knee or lack of run fitness would cope with me trying to run a half marathon after a long bike ride. I have to keep focusing on what willl feel like to finish to get over my nerves

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

morning all!!  MC, are you  looking forward to sunday? im surwe you will be fine if you walk/run the HM .?

I Cnt post my pic i bought from centurion as its too big in jpg for here apparently image..this is the link though...http://centurionrunning.zenfolio.com/p1013048438/h60ee7d56#h60ee7d56

loula - that is a great pic!

I keep swinging between looking forward and being aprehensive. Being off work this week, although it means more rest, it also means more time to think and get nervous!

• Afternoon,

6.8 miles this morning. Feel really slow at the moment.May be I am getting old!!! Only 10 days to go before Marathon no 2. Looking forward to chilling out in it, wlaking up hills and talking to the ladies from my club who are also running it.   

• Afternoon all.  My 4 weeks no chocolate expired today (I do that sort of thing sometimes for no good reason).  I just ate half a packet of chocolate hobnobs to celebrate image.

4 weeks without chocolateimage

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

4 weeks without chocolate????image

(im with MC on thisimage)

• Hmmm.  You seem to be brushing off the HALF A PACKET of hobnobs in one sitting...

I did get to the gym today and workedn fairly hard.  About 2 hobnobs-worth image.

well, if you deprive yourself of chocolate for that long how do you expect your body to react???

got a sore throat and headache, hope it is from shouting at the kids rather than coming down with something. Will have an early night and hope to wake up feeling fine

• Must be the weather as quite on here today.

Couldn't face going out in heavy rain so 30 minutes on the treadmill instead.

Not sure what I should be doing next week as have my marathon on Saturday- biut, feel I must get some miles under my legs at the beginning of the week. Saturday races are a new one to me!