Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Jase - Berlin will only be my 3rd marathon (Emmy - stop laughingimage ) and my other two have been Paris.

I would heartily recommend Paris (April 6th). Beautiful city, not a bad course - but the Forum and it's inhabitants are truly bonkers in the most wonderful of ways (which is why I'll be doing it again next year).

Places go on sale in September (ish) and it takes a few weeks to sell out.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Orbutt - I didnt say a thingimage

@Jase - thoroughly recommend getting involved with some of the other threads (*cough* Paris *cough*) and meeting up with people at races. It's always nice to see a friendly face and get a little more relaxed. If you're travelling alone - it also gives you some people to meet up with so you're not so lonely. As I normally travel alone - I try to meet up with other runners/forumites whilst i'm there.

Paris is particularly special for the group that go and I wouldnt even consider doing otherwise!

• Interesting - you both reccomend Paris image  next year at the moment I have actually been thinking oddly enough about Paris, Amsterdam and Stockholm- but I actually love races with big fields so Paris is probably at the top of my list.  September would probably be good finances wise as most of Edinburgh (well all) and Berlin is paid for.   I've of course heard that the parisian's don't come out to support the marathon but that's not enough to put me off.

Emmy - agreed - and that's why I am glad I found my way onto this forum.  I was lucky enough to spend my day on Saturday with an american girl I met climbing Arthur's seat and obviously ran the race with someone I fell in with - but would have been great to have got just a little bit smashed in the evening.  On that note then - roll on Berlin (but remember I'm a lightweight)

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Bravo Jase-well done. Now rest/recover and Berlin here you go.

Many congrats Emmy on your PB!!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Jase - i'll be in Amsterdam this year if you fancy a little speedy workout after Berlin? image

The Parisians do come out to support! Including Firemen!image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

EHN - thank you and to the others! PB definitely wasn't planned but very welcome!

• Emmy - why did you have to go and say that? I am suddenly tempted by Amsterdam.  Do they still have places?

And more importantly - define speedy?

And incidently, what was your PB?  Go on, put mine to shame image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Haha! I think a lot of people on the Paris thread would call me a bad influence.

Amsterdam is known for being a PB course with only 1 "hill" and that's an underpass at 38km. It's flat and a great course. Good amount of support (nothing like london but not absolutely rural). Easy to get to from the UK and cheap to stay in.

My PB is 4.46. I'm not speedy but I have endurance. A few friends call me the "duracell bunny" because I just keep going and going and going image

• You are definately a bad influence.

See a lot of people say that about Edinburgh - that it's a fast course, but still didn't beat my Dublin time.  But Amsterdam - now you have me tempted.  How much are flights, entry and accom generally?  (yes, I am trying to justify another trip after Berlin) image  aNd you know what the most important thing is for me - do you get a medal?  May sound silly but a medal is a must for me (nothing quite like looking at them lined up along my bookcase)

Emmy - sounds like we clock similar times.  Don't know about you but my Edinburgh time felt speedy enough on my aching limbs and ankle image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Jase - I'm a complete medal hoe - I LOVE a good medal. Medal is pretty good and its DOUBLE the size of the half marathon which made me feel very good! Here's my rack:

/members/images/334358/Gallery/253356_866611613230_1174358295_n.jpg

My sister does it on the cheap (coach from london there and back, hostel) and she did last year for 120quid all in - includes food/beer etc. Have a look at the Amsterdam Thread on here for prices - i'm not sure about what's realistic. It's pretty standard entry prices though.

I'm aiming for sub 4.30 in Berlin... but I just need to stop myself from entering marathons as i've been told that it affects my speed workimage

• I have to say I was checking this whilst ar work and when you said here's my rack I started to panic.... image

Ah right - I didn't think about a coach - obviously that takes longer but if it makes it easier to budget...hmmm....I had a quick look at flights and they're around £100 which is ok however with Edinburgh, Berlin and the Cheltenham half (very exotic I know) - may find it hard to justify.  Still coach could be an option.  I shall check it out. 

I would love to get sub 4:30 in Berlin but I will stay in the realms of realism for me as need to see how the archilles reacts to the training (but hey even if it's dodgy - I know I can get thru)

• My daughters have set my Berlin 'goal'........think I should be worried!!image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Oh no...another one has fallen under the emmy spell.  It's a pretty impressive rack. Good luck jaseimage

Kaz - hee hee hee.

• kaz .... But what goal have they set you? image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - have you not got any more planned prior to Berlin or are you just not entering any more?

Jase - watch her, she'll have you running multiples before you even know it. 

With regards support in Paris - there are areas where it is very quiet but there are many areas where it is absolutely fantastic.

Berlin regulars. What is the support like there?

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Congrats to both Emmy and Jase.  Excellent performances from the both of you.

+1 for Amsterdam.  Was my second marathon and despite hitting the wall I still loved it.  Loads of English over there, great city / rural / city run and I will go back there one year (probably 2015).

Got 2014's first marathon all booked up yesterday, going back to Edinburgh which I ran last year.  Stupidly I forgot my Garmin, leaving it in the hotel room so I've gotta go back to record it properly!  And... right now I have several tabs on the go and am about to click confirm on flights for Barcelona, accomodation and the marathon!!  Two marathons in 10 weeks, GET IN!!  That'll keep me out of trouble next spring.

• Emmy H wrote (see)

Any news from Jase?

khani- applications for Berlin sold out in under 3 hours this year... So get in quick!

i ran the Mittelrhein marathon today in appalling weather but came away with a shiny PB!

Good work girl, congratulations!

Jase - well done too, 4hr50's a fab time with an injury!

• Jase - it will involve a miracle...........but in their words ' I have never let them down before, so why start now?????' and 'we know you can do it?!' - I wish I had such faith!!image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

My daughters have set my Berlin 'goal'........think I should be worried!!image

Do tell! We all need to be Honestimage

Orbutt wrote (see)

Emmy - have you not got any more planned prior to Berlin or are you just not entering any more?

Jase - watch her, she'll have you running multiples before you even know it. 

With regards support in Paris - there are areas where it is very quiet but there are many areas where it is absolutely fantastic.

Berlin regulars. What is the support like there?

Yep. this is me you're talking to image After Kent this weekend, it's Luxembourg next week and night marathon on 21st June then a double marathon in August but nothing in July due to "in the long run". I'll be fitting in a cheeky one in September but its Bacchus - so its not really a proper one... I'll be drunk by mile5 and stumbling to the finishimage if I can beat my Medoc time of 6hrs30 I'll be happy. I ended up staying in the steak and chips tent for over 45minutes as I got hungry image

as for Berlin support - there's A LOT and I've heard great things but if anyone has better/more news please reply image

kaz1 wrote (see)

Jase - it will involve a miracle...........but in their words ' I have never let them down before, so why start now?????' and 'we know you can do it?!' - I wish I had such faith!!image

Girl- we have all of the faith in you- you're a Rock star!

• Emmy - I think you have me confused with someone else!

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Berlin support - its very good, areas where its 1 deep but then areas where it is 10 deep but from what i remember last year it was always there like at london. the only thing it lacks is that 'roar' you get at the top of the Mall in London, the run into Brandenberg is such a long run the support is more spread out but that does have other benefits on that long run in.

• Ian and The Monk - thanks image

Emmy - damn you!!!!!! You have performed Inception upon my poor soul - there is nothing more contagious than an idea and the idea that has now formed within the vaults of my mind.......Amsterdam!  Damn you !!!  image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kaz - Nah!

Jase - Whoopsieimage Didnt mean to image Welcome to the dark side - we have rocking medals!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

We've gone bit quiet.

Jase, Rob - how are the injuries?

Have we started our training plans yet? Mines a bit foreshortened as I've got a two week holiday mid June. Got an idea for a sight seeing run while we're away but the plan, proper, will have to wait until we get back.

andyc209 (can I call you andy) are there any spots that are too busy for spectators? My coach ( Mrs O ) likes to travel around the course and see me at several points. Not knowing Berlin, I'd hate to plan for her to be at a spot that is 10 deep. 

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

June 10th is my start date and I ll have to dust off the old garmin. 

Orbutt my 'Coach' is running with me ...it seemed like a beautiful idea at the time of entering image... 

Anyone here Spin..I'm very new to it (experinced 3 sessions )and what great workout but not sure I ll have the energy to do my 3 runs a weeks plus a spin though

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

My calendar say's I start training tomorrow, legs might say otherwise.  I did my first ever century on the bike yesterday at the Norwich 100.  Loved it but the thighs are aching today, looks like the first week will be easy does it!

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

good first 50 mile week done for me image. 15 mile was longest run, aiming for another tomorrow with the Killer Mile inat the end, it's the fourth steepest road in Britain and there is an annual race up it.

Orbutt Can't be specific about points on the course not knowing the city well but I think you should get a good view anywhere but might fight for space in the last mile.

• P&D 18 week plan started Monday for me. So far, slow and recurrent PF, usual trouble!

Good luck all. 

Orbutt - as per Andy. The only time I think it gets deep is on the final half mile down the Unter Den Linden, under the Brandenburger Tor. Mrs O will be fine!

Iain

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Orbutt wrote (see)

andyc209 (can I call you andy) are there any spots that are too busy for spectators? My coach ( Mrs O ) likes to travel around the course and see me at several points. Not knowing Berlin, I'd hate to plan for her to be at a spot that is 10 deep. 

I'm interested in that too! I've got my other half and his mother supporting me. They tried to 'follow me' in Paris last year, but just missed me at each location, I was too fast for them image. Be good to have some useful tips for supporters in Berlin too!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Sticky - Mrs O managed to see me at 5 points in Paris image

Don't think we'll manage that in Berlin but we'll have a good go.

Andy & Iain - thanks for the info

Iain - how are you treating the PF? Mrs O has just been told that she's got it, so any tips gratefully received. Currently icing and she'll be doing some 'bottom step' stretching (but she over did it first time)