Overdone it?

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

6.15 pace for a 5miler, should definitely mean a sub 40 for 10k is doable as that would require 6.26 pace for only 1.2miles further.

However, we'll press to make sure there's no doubt come the next 10k

• Last Week - 5m easy, 7m incl 5M race, 3M Easy, REST, 10.5 incl 8m Steady, REST, 13.1 LSR - TOTAL 38.6 miles

Coach has given me some new training zones based on my 5 mile race that look both brutal and yet quite exciting as follows:-

Easy 7:50 - 8:45, Steady 7:05 - 7:35, MP 6:50 - 6:55

HM 6:30 - 6:35, Tempo 6:25, 10k 6:15 - 6:20, 5k 6:05 - 6:10.

Plan is to race a parkrun on Saturday and go for sub 19:30 (current PB from end of March 19:54). Only problem is that about a third of the course is on grass which gets very muddy and it has been very wet this weekend so unless it dries out a lot this week 19:30 might be off the agenda.image

Cheers, Skinny

• Hi Richard - I do live in Carlisle. I don't worry too much if there is a hill in a route for my easy runs simply because you will go up and then down and in any race route there is often a hill or two so encountering them on most runs is okay - although I do a lot of my easy running now either side of the River Eden which is both flat and on grass as easier on my legs and feet (very muddy this weekend though!).

However for my long quality runs where I am trying to hit a speed over 6 to 8 miles I run out through Rickerby Park, along the cycle route to Linstock and then on to Crosby Lodge and back again. 10 miles from my house but if I detour to the Suspension Bridge in Rickerby Park I can make it 10.5 and all pretty flat. When Coach only gives me a 0.5 mile cool down this means I have to finish the last mile of the quality bit by running up out of Rickerby Park to Brampton Road and then up Well Lane so I much prefer a 1 mile CD!

Have you done any of the parkruns at all?

Cheers

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Skinny, if the 1mile cool down makes things easier, i'm fine with you making that slight adjustment, a longer cool down certainly won't hurt.

As long as it's not too long!

• Haha Coach! Actually the 0.5 mile cool downs are always after the Steady runs and I don't really mind 0.25 up a steep hill at Steady speed. it would be different if it was at the end of the fourth 0.5 mile interval at 5k pace tomorrow!

I was just having a bit of banter with Richard as he will know the hill.

Cheers, Skinny

• Hi Richard - never gone that way as would have to run through town to get to start and plenty of countryside on my side of town.

I presume you must mean Edinburgh marathon on Sunday? Doesn't sound like the time for a parkrun debut on the Saturday to me?? I suppose it will be okay provided you are not an ultra competitive type.

I've persuaded my wife and one of my daughters to run tomorrow so just need to get over the hurdle of telling them they need to get themselves there because I'll be running my warm up 3 miles first!

• Last week - 4M easy, 6.5 incl 4*0.5 with 2 min recoveries in 2.50,2.57,2.51,2.50 (target 5k pace so 3.02 - 3.05), 3M easy, rest, 5m easy with strides, 7.2 miles incl parkrun (see below), 10 mile LSR - week total 35.7 miles.

Felt training week was compromised by the parkrun Saturday which just gets in the way really but coach probably found a good fit.

So parkrun. This was to be my last ever parkrun as a V40-V44 runner so I wanted it to be a good one. I noticed at the start that a couple of parkrun rivals (one faster, one slightly slower but who I knew had been doing a lot of training) were both there so my competitive juices were given a little extra fuelling at the start.

I have been suffering from migraine attacks when going sub 6min miles (posted a separate thread and got some helpful advice from LouiseG - Stevie's sister??? - so have started taking magnesium supplement) and as I knew that my normal bolt off pace was 5:30 - 5:45 I decided to rein it in at the start.

So half a mile in assessed where I was at - pace about 5:50 - 5:55 felt okay, Mr Slowerthanme (Mr S) was about 30m ahead (surely pacing wrong) and Mr Fasterthanme (Mr F) was about 10m ahead - felt this was about right.

3 lap course. End of first lap still about same positioning as above. Mile 1 in 5:55.

Mile 2 I started reining in Mr F and we both closed to about 20m of Mr S but he still looked to be running strongly and I started to wonder if he was simply a lot faster than 2 months ago. By end of lap 2 I was tucked in  a couple of yards behind Mr F. Mile 2 in 6:09 (no migraine attack so now I could concentrate on the race).

There was no doubt now that I was not in a time trial but in a race. I knew I did not have the speed strength to go past Mr F and run away from him so I tucked in right behind. When we reached the hill (about 200m long - really finds you out on lap 3) we suddenly started taking chunks out of Mr S and about half way up we caught him and in passing him around a couple of other (lapped) runners I somehow went ahead of Mr F too. I felt him tuck in behind me and my legs instantly felt weaker - this was going to be tough. Kept ahead till the final little 50m run up to the line when I dug in and did some kind of strange crab like sprint. BEAT HIM!

Mile 3 was 6:14 and an overall time of 19:15. Mr F finished in 19:18 and Mr S in 19:20.

So a PB of 39 seconds. I was 5th out of 158 and in my last race as a V40 - V44 I was the first over 40 - a good way to sign off.

With the hill every lap and half of each lap being on the grass plus some tight corners I think this is probably worth a sub 19 min 5k on the road.

Now entering 8 weeks of 10k specific training aiming for 21st July and the attempt at sub 40mins - my last couple of races suggest this should be easily attainable and perhaps even sub 39 is possible.

Cheers, Skinny 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Quality work Skinny, and happy birthday!

The last 2 races have been cracker, but now we press on with some hard work to ensure at least a sub 40 by late July.

• Hi Richard - I did look out for someone but didn't really know what I was looking for!

Well done on the Edinburgh HM - that's the thing with running - you seem to get roughly what you are expecting because the result is generally based on the amount of training you have put in.

It is the Gretna - Carlisle - we'll have to make sure we at least know what each other will be wearing come 21st July so we can say hello.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Great time "New Mr F" image and welcome to V45 image

• macemace ✭✭✭

Skinny - just been having a read back and didn't notice any targets for you beyond the next 8 weeks of 10k stuff. Is there a longer term plan ?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment and am torn between training for an autumn marathon or working on shorter stuff over the summer/autumn, maybe a B target of a Sept/Oct half, and going for a spring marathon. I think the right thing to do for me is the shorter stuff as basically i've done virtually no speed work outside of marathon V02 intervals.

• Hi Mace - even in a thread that's just all about me the pages and posts quickly mount up so it quickly gets too long to read it all. The targets I set for myself on 1st January were as follows

Targets for 2013

Total Mileage 1000+, sub 1:28:26 HM, a sub 20 5k, a sub 67 10 miler (current PB 73:29) and outside shot a sub 40 10k.

Looking at these now they are all quite 'soft' based on my current fitness and speeds but a 2 month injury and they will all look quite difficult.

My full race plan for rest of year (excluding occasional parkruns as Coach allows) is

21/07 10k - want to get sub 40 out of the way then get on to 2 months of HM training.

04/09 10k - B race within my HM training but with 1 months extra training might still be able to challenge whatever time I set on 21/07

06/10 HM - the specific time I set for this at start of year is to get inside a friend's PB - really now I'm thinking I want to go at least sub 1:27 to bring sub 1:25 into reach for next year.[if training keeps going as well as it is at the moment though I do daydream occasionally that I could get close to 1:25 this yearimage

I do want to do two marathons eventually but the plan would be the first would be a GFA and the second would be a big city marathon aiming for sub 3 hours - no point thinking about that until I am at least sub 1:25 for a half. (I've come a long way since end of June last year when I was hoping I might be able to get 1:35)

Of course I'm guessing from your comment above that you are already a V45 and so I have to remember that the clock is ticking - I think the time to think about the marathon will be when the PBs stop coming at the shorter distances - for now I'm just having fun (mind you the fun in training hurts like hell sometimes!!)

I can't really say what's right for you but whatever you decide I do know now that if you commit to the plan and run regularly and sensibly basing your training paces on your starting point that wonderful and amazing things can happenimage

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hi Skinny, why sub 1:28:26? Just asking because that is my current PB. image

Oh, just read properly and you said why. Doh! Oh well, I will be trying to beat it too.

• Hi Literatin - I have a friend (who has same name as me) who has run 1:28:26 - I would like to beat the time so I can move up to second fastest runner within my mates - I have another friend who has run 1:17 for a HM but is slowing up now and is back to 1:22/1:23 pace - he's a little bit worried about how much I'm improving!!

It will be nice to know that I'm also beating your PB too thoughimage

PS I find your avatar a bit creepy (I think its the way the focus of the picture is the little short guy watching) - is that you flying past in the grey shorts with the orange stripe?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hopefully you won't be beating my PB as I've got a half on 29 September.

Yes, that is me in the grey shorts being a bit too fast for my sister's reaction speed at mile 24 of VLM. Might change it for one where I'm actually in shot some time.

• When you smash your PB on 29th September you'll have to post your time so I have an extra target!

Maybe next time you should go for an avatar where just your back shoe is showing to demonstrate you're getting fasterimage 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yes, or one where I'm not in the picture at ALL. That'll be when I'm really fast.

Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

I have a friend (who has same name as me) who has run 1:28:26

PS: your friend is ALSO called Skinny Fetish Fan? Crikey.

• imageimage There's a lot of us about!

• macemace ✭✭✭

Skinny - my targets are similar to yours eg HM ~1:32 , 10M ~69, 5k ~20 but i've basically gone in arse about face if you like and ran a marathon first. Basically i was always crap at sprints as a kid but didn't mind the longer stuff.

And at age 46 i thought there's no chance i'll get quicker if i couldn't do it when i was younger. Now i appreciate that to get better at the longer stuff i'll need to get quicker over shorter distances.

I'll have a read back from the start of this thread and will take a keen interest in your training from now on. Good Luck.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Lit - your avatar is kind of quirky image

• macemace ✭✭✭

Speaking of which, how do i put an avatar up ? image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Click on where you don't have an avatar now, then on your profile page click 'change my face' and you should be able to upload one.

• Hi Mace - what time did you do your marathon in? I was always pretty rubbish at sprints as a kid too but I've never run so fast in my life as I am running now.

I suppose from an injury point of view you probably have a really good base of fitness now to start doing the quality speed work which is probably how I ended up injured last year - too much, too fast.

If I make it to the end of this year injury free I will be back on the base building again for the winter but try and up the weekly mileage a little more BUT its not good to look too far forward at this running lark or things go wrong - one of great things about StevieG providing me the training schedule is that he only gives me the next week - so at any time I have a maximum of five runs to worry about - not a great big schedule stretching out 12 weeks in advance.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Lit thanks but I've tried that before and I get dumped out as image too large ?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

have you tried it recently? It's accepting much larger file sizes now.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Skinny I basically went from 2 or 3 runs of 4/5 miles a week into base building following HADD about 14 months ago. Slowed it all down and soon realised I could run further that way ( not rocket science is it !! image ) improved quite quickly and spent until December building a base then started P&D for Brighton Mara. So I guess I have a reasonable base but nowhere near as good as it could be.

Target was GFA but I missed it by just under 2 mins in 3:16:52. I think going so close is nagging at me hence I've got an autumn mara in mind but I think I'd be better off missing autum and going for GFA in spring. Like you say it's easy to try and do too much too soon.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Lit, no I haven't ... Will try again tomorrow, ta image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

mace, even if you did get GFA in autumn it would be too late for vlm 2014 anyway, so you might as well wait till spring and attack it properly then. It'll be way more likely if you can get down to your HM target in the meantime.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Lit, yes I think you're right and I'll more than likely wait. Maybe winter won't be so crap this yearimage summer marathon training certainly has more appeal ....

• Last week - REST, 10.5 miles monster sesh (see below), 3m easy, 5m easy, 6.8miles incl 15 mins of diagonals, REST, 14m LSR. Total for week 39.4miles

Tuesday session was 3 miles easy building to steady, 1 mile MP, 0.5 miles incl 5*75 strides, 3*1 mile at 10k pace (2 min recoveries), 3*0.5miles at 5k pace (2 min recoveries), 3*300m at 1 mile pace (2 min recoveries), cd.

Paces as follows 8:38,8:02,7:18//7:00//strides//6:20,6:18,6:18//3:02,3:02,2:58//1:03,1:04,1:04//CD

Tough session but got easier as went into it due to length of recoveries.

Small milestone on 29th May as passed my total mileage for last year of 650 miles.

Have some (mild) discomfort in my lower abdomen which must be caused by speedwork I think. Can only feel it when running and not a problem at easy pace. Have started stretching my groin after my runs as this is probably a stretch I have neglected and will have to keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers, Skinny