What's your favourite running medal and why?

What's your favourite running medal and why...best design/bespoke...proudest achievement etc?

Mine's the Hastings brass I got in 2007 because it's so different to all my other medals, and it's also the half marathon I got a PB in, which still stands as I've had two children since then and haven't had the time to better, but hoping to do so next year!

Comments

• Walt Disney World Marathon - cos it weighs about 2Kg, is enormous and it was SO much fun getting it.

• Don't like the things...wish they didn't give them out! And give the money to charity...

and don't get me started on doggie bags!

• But spose if that'd to decide on one.maybe bath half as it was my 1st big run

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

mines my worcestershire 2013 half marathon championship team bronze medal. Random i know, but its the only running medal that i actually have through achievement and not just participation. Its no where near the heaviest or best looking medal i have, but it weas won not givenimage

• Mine is my latest, I keep my latest one hung on a pin in my Office but then as soon as I get a new one it goes into the drawer with the others

• GymAddict - ooh I would love to run the Walt Disney World Marathon!!

Jeremy Lucas 2 - each to their own, you don't have to like them I suppose lol. I don't care for the goodie bags either but I do feel proud when I get another medal.

DT19 - wow congratulations on your bronze, go you! I don't think I'll ever be quick enough for a win of any kind?

Runnin Man - I like that idea, how often does it get changed then? Does it motivate you to sign up to the next race?

• A school sports winning medal from back in 1983. Broke the school 400m record half a dozen times back then.

It doesn't look very 'fancy' but I like it

• Silverstone Half Marathon medal from this year, for two reasons:

1. IT'S FREAKING SILVERSTONE, BABY.

2. It was my first half marathon.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Possibly the only senior national gold medal I'll ever earn.  It helps to have very speedy club mates.  image

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/465125_10151642623164595_619687864_o.jpg

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

If there was a 'like' button on rw i imagine you would get a fair few for that one Phil!

• DunkyDDunkyD ✭✭✭

Woop woop - that's ace PhilPub!

Me - First marathon (last year's Brighton) for purely romantic reasons.

D

• nothing wrong with a school medal birkmyre, a record is great!

philpub very impressive!

Dunkyd do tell? I was supposed to run Brighton this year but was injured, fingers I'll complete it next year.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Phil - that is SERIOUSLY awesome!!!

• Good thread and question! First London marathon is one, brings back memories of the atmosphere and then my shuffle down to the finish with cramp in both legs. Hopped sideways over the finish line!

Also, Rome marathon, that medal is just a thing of beauty and the course couldn't have been more spectacular!

• MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Mine's from the Rock 'n' Roll Edinburgh half from April this year.  It's a chunky guitar-shaped medal, tartan-blue pattern effect with the castle at the bottom.  By miles my favourite medal so far!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I only have one from Bristol half last year, my first half. I guess it has to be that one.  image

• My Edniburgh Marathon medal from last year for several reasons: -

1. It is my only marathon

2. I used to be fat and lazy so it is the culmination of all my hard work

3. It's different to all the others

4. It made it onto the news and Have I got News for You for apparently looking like something else which would probably be censored on here!

• The Cumbrian Run HM medals were originally made of slate which were good but my favourite year was 25th Anniversary year 2007 when they didn't give out medals but gave out oblong glass paperweights with the 3D hologram of a runner inside. Very nice. The only sports trophy of any kind that my wife has given her blessing to be displayed in our home.

So my favourite medal is a paper weightimage - I guess I'm cheating a bit here!image

• Wohlf: That sound s a cracking medal.

Phil: Great medal. Respect.

LisaE: cheers.

• Favourite design is the one from the Tempest 10

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3bg72-ys7ow/T2ZZDuMhF_I/AAAAAAAAA3A/dd3Hr1p5vk0/s1600/Tempest+medal.jpg

The medal that means the most to me is (predictably) my first race - New Forest Half Marathon. My 2nd race medal is also quite important to me, first sub-2hr HM and I sign that running was going to be a long-term thing for me.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

My favourite medal is the london marathon one i just got. Mostly because it's my first marathon and my entire year of running, which was also my first year of running, lead to the gaining of that medal image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

My favourite is the VLM one too, because it looks comically similar to a Jim'll Fix It badge.

/members/images/699204/Gallery/jimbadge250.jpg

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

hahaha literatin NOOO!!!! That combined with my charity running vest for the VLM add's up to a major disaster (note that Mr. Harris was only pulled up on charges 2 days before the marathon and I had a very short amount of time to find another shirt and get my name printed on it!)

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll30/aak_linkedphotos/Forum/484290BC-8F2C-43BF-8173-493F6E050420-28814-00001BE6F0156D96_zpsd4b3648b-1.jpg

• Back2basicsBack2basics ✭✭✭

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/934920_10151658334690309_333184480_n.jpg

Hey guys great thread! Mine has to be my latest one for my first 50 mile Ultra marathon! Crossing that line was a life changing moment and it was only 2 weeks a go! Not the most stunning medal I know but it means a lot to me.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Khanivore - you should frame them together.

• Lisa E wrote (see)

Runnin Man - I like that idea, how often does it get changed then? Does it motivate you to sign up to the next race? 

I guess it must do Lisa, I do at least one per month

• DaveClaret - I think that's probably how i'll cross the finish when I eventually get to complete a marathon lol! image

Wohlf - that sounds like a wicked medal image

Mikasa - 'like' did you enjoy your experience and are you planning anymore races?

Elizabeth Dix4 - lol - I googled your medal to have a look image 

Skinny Fetish Fan - wow that's still though, and if you get to display it then even better!

Tom77 - I was planning on doing the Tempest 10 before I realised how injured I was, would you recommend it for next year?

Khanivore - well done - will you continue with another race or was VLM a one off?

Literatin - lol, image

Back2basics - wow an ultra! don think i'll ever be able to go that far? need to tick off a marathon first?!

Lisa - you will get there if you want it enough! image image I did my first marathon in November that was nearly my medal of choice as I had wanted to do a marathon since I was about 7!!! Finally realising that dream was a very emotional moment.

The picture is a little fuzzy but its not a bad looking thing...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/198402_10151326879825309_1684047861_n.jpg

• Nice medal too!! Well i'm definitely determined to run a marathon! I struggled mentally in not being able to run whilst pregnant, and kept telling myself I could start running again 6 weeks after which is pretty normal, but I suffered hugely with spd problems and got told I had to hold off the running for a lot longer. My youngest is almost a year now and I have finally been able to start running (with a support belt) and can so far comfortably run just over 5 miles. I'm so happy with my progress and so determined I've already entered Brighton marathon 2014!

Nice one Lisa! If you need encouragement along the way pop in to the thread Starting again from the beginning. We have a really nice little group over there image