So, the kids want a dog...

Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I've said 'yes'.

So when I return from holiday in July, we're going to go looking for a pup. My question to you lot of happy campers is this. 

As I'm obviously going to be the one exercising the dog, what's the best dog for a runner? It doesn't need to run marathons (though i do) but it would be nice for the company on some 5 - 10 k trots.

An added bonus would be one that doesn't shed a lot as one of my very good freinds is allergic to evrything.

Comments

• socks up tosocks up to ✭✭✭

collies, spaniels, terriers, most working dogs really.

my jack russell is happy doing 6 miles several times a week, and has gone up to about 16 miles.

• +1 for collies.  Love to exercise, are great company and their coats for some reason I react less to than short haired dogs.

• please, please, please get a rescue dog - there are so many good dogs in rescue centres that need a good home.  We rescued our Jack Russell and he is fabulous, great temperament and really good with everyone.

If you take on a rescue dog, you save two lives - the one you've taken on, and the one who gets the spare place at the centre.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

We will get a rescue dog if we can. 

I have had two rescue dogs before and they were both great but not without issues. Now I have two young children in the mix I doubt I'd be comfortable with a rescue dog coming to us with potential behavioral issues. You never know what will set them off. I had a great dane from rescue that went berserk at the sight of balloons. Never did get to the bottom of that.

• snap.........the dogs trust around here do not like putting recue dogs in any family with young children.............they will let them have rescued pups.......

you are right to be wary with young children.so many of them have issues that need time , love and patience.....and young children are usually full on with new petsimage

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Eggzacterly, SN. I do fancy a Collie but I get the feeling that a working dog like that might not get all they need from a purely domestic existence. I certainly wouldn't have time to work it properly.

• +1 for a rescue dog. If you go to a good rescue they sometimes have the full background of the dog. The one we have used often re-homes dogs from their previous owners homes. Plus they always fully assess the dog and the new owners so as to match the two together. Afterall, they are trying to settle the dog not just get it back after a few weeks! Good luck though!

I'd also go for a JRT, just because they are so much fun!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

the kids want a dog , and yet you'll be exercising it?
    Will they still want a dog in 5, 10 years time? (or is it you that wants it...??)
    get a goldfish instead...

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I want a dog too. This is the excuse I needed. image

Still won't get rescue dog over 5 months old. Not with my 3-yr old daughter around. She's already been bitten once by a Westie from a very good home. So anything I can do to minimise the risk, I'll do it. i suppose if I extrapolated that i'd never get a dog at all, and keep my children in hermetically sealed chambers, but we all draw our lines somewhere.

Also wondered about standard poodle.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I hear they're real bird magnets

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/snoopy.jpg

• Get a White Swiss Shepherd - great running dogs, good family dogs with a super temperament and quick to learn. Oh, and they are beautiful too.

• If you're considering it, it's you that wants the dog, personally I'd be careful with young kids about anything other than a very young pup. You can temper it's behaviour, and train it, a rescue dog may have not been trained and could spring a surprise  

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Ironwolf. You biased? They are pretty dogs, though.

• Get yourself a chocolate labrador. Lovely dogs.

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)

Get yourself a chocolate labrador. Lovely dogs.

With respect, when people just recommend labs it generally means they don't know much about dogs. The default dog for people who don't research breeds is the lab.

I'm not saying that it's not a good breed, but it is the bulk buy dog of choice for the UK, when there are so many other breeds with similar characteristics that are becoming obsolete because people don't look beyond the standard 'supermarket' breed.

They makes excellent family pets though.

• Word of warning, if you do get a Chocolate Lab.

Lots of people buy them and don't really think it through. You have to be so careful because it's in their nature to want to be warm and snuggly and cuddled in. BUT you must resist.It's especially dangerous in winter when its cold outside and you just want to come back to a warm house.

Don't let a chocolate lab get close to the fire or a radiator.

One minute you've got a happy bounding dog, next thing you know they're just a sticky puddle.

• How about this then? He wasn't too happy though:

/members/images/338242/Gallery/PA310366.JPG

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)

Get yourself a chocolate labrador. Lovely dogs.

With respect, when people just recommend labs it generally means they don't know much about dogs. The default dog for people who don't research breeds is the lab.

I'm not saying that it's not a good breed, but it is the bulk buy dog of choice for the UK, when there are so many other breeds with similar characteristics that are becoming obsolete because people don't look beyond the standard 'supermarket' breed.

Nicky McNamerson wrote (see)

Word of warning, if you do get a Chocolate Lab.

Lots of people buy them and don't really think it through. You have to be so careful because it's in their nature to want to be warm and snuggly and cuddled in. BUT you must resist.It's especially dangerous in winter when its cold outside and you just want to come back to a warm house.

Don't let a chocolate lab get close to the fire or a radiator.

One minute you've got a happy bounding dog, next thing you know they're just a sticky puddle.

I'll get your coat...

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Ive been ffered a lily 3 year old lab, but I go bak to my original point about rescue dogs. Incidentally, a colleague ofMaine has a working lab, doesn't run well. But you get stocky working labs, and tall skinny athletic labs and it's tough to know which one you're going to get.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Nicky. I just got it. Slow tonight.

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Get a GSD. They're big. They're clever. They're loyal. They look great in pink tutus. The full package. We've got three