leicester marathon 2013

Hi ,

This is my first thread !

Does anyone know when the entries open for the Leicester Marathon ?

I've looked at the website but can't get past the front page ?

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Hopefully soon image they have a facebook page and they say soon on there, as some of us have been grumbling and saying hurry up and open entry even though it is still 6 months plus away image Impatient bunch aren't we.  Roll on October 13th.

• Jen HartJen Hart ✭✭✭
    Hello Bullet, just had an email from the Loros fund raising team this morning to say entries have opened - you doing the half or full?
  • ...hmm, I still can't get past their front page (even after clearing my PC's cache).

Have you managed to enter Jen?

• Jen HartJen Hart ✭✭✭

Hi Colin,

Just checked and it's a link Loros have emailed out - I can't paste the link as its prepopulated with my details. Appears they have sent an early link for last years participants.

May be worth contacting the Loros fundraining team? Hope you get it sorted!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Here you go...

This is the URL to register. They always seem a bit slow updating the website to link to the online registration.

http://regonline.activeeurope.com/builder/site/Default.aspx?EventID=1228752

Also worth following them on Facebook they seem to do that more then the website.

I'm registered and looking forward to it.image
  • OK I'm in (...for the full Marathon).

...and their front page now has the link on it.

I WILL break 4:00hrs this time!!!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    See you there image hopefully I won't be toooooooo long over 4 hours, we shall see, want to be closer to 4 then 5 in dream land image so hang around and cheer as I cross the lineimage
  • Jen HartJen Hart ✭✭✭
    Hello Colin and Steph, probably just the half for me I'm afraid. Still looking at the 20 mile at Ladybower in Sept but lets see....
  • Sorry to sound dumb but can't find the start time anywhere!

Also, is the course all road?

Cheers

•  

...It starts at 9:15am & the course is all road.

I couldn't find it on their web site either, but the details are given here.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=77329&ms=

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Yes all road, there is one section that is about 1km long where you are in a coned of section beside a dual carriageway.

so you need to realise there is traffic around, but the marshalling is brilliant, every Marshall was really encouraging.

There is also a railway crossing, If a train comes the marshals record how long you've been delayed for. It's a Sunday, there are hardly any trains.

• Jen HartJen Hart ✭✭✭

Quite a bit off road through the paths at Watermead Park and think it was the back of Abbey Park, just before you got to the Highcross Centre - which was nice! Can't speak for the full though, I bow to those in the know!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Same yes going through the park I guess doesn't count as roadimage so yes, the last 6 miles is mainly through a wildlife park and a park, and then on pavements, then through a taped off section of pavement for the least mile which is through the town centre.

• Doing the full for the first time hearing that its a bit lonely especially if your bait of a plodder.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I plodded along at 5:30 last year, there were a few people around, but not huge amounts.  The only area that felt really quiet was going through the back of watermead pack but then i came across another runner so wasn't lonely then image

• I've signed up to this and looking forward to it.  I've not been to Leicester for a good few years now, so also looking forward to seeing how it has changed.

• ...I was born & raised in Leicester, so breaking the 4:00hr barrier in this one would be great.

For those of you that also know Leicester really well, watch this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKlUToh91ZI

• Hi all. I'm in for the marathon as well. Will be my 3rd go at Leicester after 2007 & 2010. I really enjoyed both previous races and am looking forward to October. I'm hoping to go under 3:40 this time around, after missing out by 24 seconds at Taunton last year. Anyone following any particular schedule? I'm going to try the P&D up to 55 mile plan, although I've had to adapt it a bit to fit in with my shifts and other commitments over the summer. Plan officially starts on 10th June, not far away now!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I'm going for sub 4:30 maybe even 4:20ish trying to beat last year by an hour.image 

• I'm going to be aiming for a sub 3:35, and hoping if everything goes well to go sub 3:30.  Trying to beat my 3:37 from Manchester this year.

• Matthew, maybe I'll try and cling on to your trainers on race day!  I'd like to dip under 3:35, but think 3:30 will be out of my reach this time round, still, time will tell.  Have you recovered well from Manchester?

Booktrunk, are you following a particular plan for your sub 4:30?  I've worked my time down from 4:42 but have never managed to lose big chunks at a time, I've just chipped away at it gradually and breaking the 4:00 seemed to take forever.  Although, that might be because I've never followed a particular plan and just made it up and changed things as I've gone along!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

K.P.

I got with a plan from the asics.co.uk website, from 1 to 2 I knocked off 34 minutes.  Might be a litte optimistic but hoping for another 26 minutes off this time.  Will work at it harder, and others struggled in the heat at Milton Keynes so i'm hoping being cooler in october will also help bring the time down a bit.

I've also never done any speed work and started doing a bit including starting to do some park runs.  Only ever got below 30m in training once, but in two park runs managed 28:31 and then 26:34 so hoping that will help me out.

• K.P., Haha - I might be clinging onto someone elses to make sure I get under it! image  I've recovered quite well from Manchester, just need to get myself motivated to run when it's raining - I've turned into a fair weather runner at the moment!

• Booktrunk, sounds good.  I don't think an extra 26 minutes is an unrealistic aim, and you'll probably push harder to reach it by setting it out, good luck.  I know the feeling with struggling in the heat.  The benefit of an autumn marathon (usually) is you get to train in the heat and then have the added bonus of coolness on race day!   Those are impressive 5k improvements and I'm sure they'll help. I daresay you'll take even more off your pb between now and October. I tend to avoid speed work too, which is probably another reason why I've only made small gains from race to race, but will be putting some effort in under the plan this time, so hopefully they'll pay off.

Matthew,  glad the recorvery has gone well. Hopefully summer will arrive soon then. I definitely want some extra warmth as I like swimming and the lakes are far too cold at the moment!  I'm probably the opposite running wise though, I love running in the rain!

• Booktrunk, I agree with KP 26 mins is not an unrealistic aim with the right training.  You can do it image

K.P, I don't mind running in the rain - leaving in the UK you have to so much! - but I don't like starting out when it's raining though!  Odd I know, but when I'm on my training plan - I do a 16 week one - I force myself out there but in between it is a lot harder for me to get out there unless it's ok weather.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

See you all on 13th October.  I'll be the one with bright pink hair plodding along wayyyy after you lot have finished image

• This one is sounding interesting. Looking for a `quick` course for the Autumn. I`d heard that there is very little support. Is that true?

• Egyptian Toe, it is a fairly quiet marathon spectator wise, particularly on some of the more rural sections, where you won't see anyone except the odd specific runner fans.  As you get towards the end you run back through the city centre before going up the hill to the park.  The last time I did it it was quite a nice day and there were lots of people sitting outside, some seemed disinterested, some were surprised at the amount of runners but got into the spirit and shouted some encouragement.  I liked it, it felt like you were just part of a day in the city as everyone was just carrying on with their own business as you ran by them. The marshals on both my previous runs here were fantastic, all of them were very vocal in their support and as it's a smaller field the runners were pretty encouraging and supportive too, and the atmosphere at the start/finish in the park was also nice, particularly with the half going on at the same time.  It definitely isn't a race for large crowds though.

• Thanks KP. Is there stuff for kids to do in the park?

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

One thing to bear in mind is it's not large. There were 526 finishers off the full last year, so there aren't going to be that many out watching but the final mile going back through the town centre has a roped off area through the main shopping streets, so that is great.

So you get long quiet sections, with a busy ending.