is it just me

Hi 

I have noticed as the weather has improved a little over the pass few weeks, on a number of occasions whilst running a number of cars have slowed down at the side of me and passengers in the car appear to get  enjoyment from hailing abuse at me. It is totally random and I have no idea who these people are but it's a bit intimidated when they drive slowly at the side of you and scream obscenities.it's happened now a few times.

It's it just me ? Any advice

Comments

• The world is full of idiots. Fart in their general direction.

• Its not just you, it happens to most runners.

Ignore them.

• I told one group to go and f@&k off. However they then started to throw coke cans at me.

• That's why it's best to ignore them - these people don't have much in the way of intellectual capacity.

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    I would just ignore them as well. They probably realize now that it's warmer that they put on some pound over the winter and are frustrated about it and can't be @rsed to do something about it. And what better target to have than the person who actually gets out there running because (whatever reason it is which gets you out of the door)

There are so many rude ppl out there and I am getting really annoyed with them.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ignore them, as generally circumstances won't favour anything brave from you, so you'd be inviting trouble.

However, sometimes things are in your favour and against the motorists...red lights etc....

• Hecklers on foot might be a different matter of course - you'll be able to run quicker than they will! image

• well it give me some  comfort knowing I am not alone. Surprising, never seems to happen at 6am on a Sunday morning. I wonder why.

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Stevie, A picture forms in my head of me pressing the button on every traffic light even if I have no intention of crossing the road. Just to annoy the motoristsimage. unfortunately there are not too many traffic lights on my usual routes...
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Careful Jindalee, you might delay JP3 driving to the gym. image

• literatin wrote (see)

Careful Jindalee, you might delay JP3 driving to the gym. image

Of course only ever running on the treadmill is another way to avoid the idiots - but let's not go there! image

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Literatin, well he is lucky enough that he can walk to the gym as its not far away. otherwise he would need to get the car out of the garage and through a locked gate which in itself is more hassle than just walk to the gymimage
  • Yep, I am having that one. Press the pedestrian button on all the traffic lights even if I am not crossing.

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    hehe go for it Barry *wishes now there would be more than 1 traffic light on my route*

oh and don't forget to bump into the people who cannot make space for you even though they see you coming but cannot be bothered to move a bit to the side
  • Yeah, and knock a few wing mirrors back for the motorists that insist in parking 3/4 on the pavement 1/4 on the road.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

And dive suicidally in front of all the idiot cyclists riding on the pavement? Oh... maybe that one is just me.

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Literatin, sorry cannot play this as I hardly see cyclists when I run in the morning. It's a great time as hardly anyone is around, apart from some do walkers and a group of ladies doing some exercise on the grass in the park. still haven't figured out what exactly they are doing... should do more laps around the parkimage
  • Tai chi Jindalee?

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Sorry no idea Scream, most of the time they lie on the grass, with one lady in from of them. maybe they do stretching and it's just my timing that I never see them doing anything else. well I could stop and asked them but then, it's not that important.
  • Happens to me all the time..twatt ...

had it once as I was almost at the end of a 10 mile when some kid started to run next to me shouting ..I said I've just done 10 miles good for another 10 if you want to join me...come on big man stop trying to show off to your mates..

to my horror think he was going to give it a go,I could no way run another 10, but helpfull he got a stitch after 500 yards..his mates thought it was hilarious!

best just ignore them

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Jeremy, I agree, find it comforting to know that I could probably run longer/further than most people I see out on my runs. Luckily I don't really get abuse from other people. Today I saw mostly cute ducks and ducklings, some even looked at me strangely before going back to sleep image
  • I once had a group of lads giving it the "knees up" image

Then on another occasion some Fat Heffer thought it would be hilarious to hurl abuse at us, something along the lines of 'run forest'

She soon shut up after i shouted "come on then tubby, lets see how far you can run"

(picture little britain-Vicky pollard type)

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    LOL Ja5onW. Great reply. image It's funny how people react when you challenge them
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    jeremy lucas 2 wrote (see)

Happens to me all the time..twatt ...

had it once as I was almost at the end of a 10 mile when some kid started to run next to me shouting ..I said I've just done 10 miles good for another 10 if you want to join me...come on big man stop trying to show off to your mates..

to my horror think he was going to give it a go,I could no way run another 10, but helpfull he got a stitch after 500 yards..his mates thought it was hilarious!

best just ignore them

I would embrace some chav kid trying to run alongside. I'd run the little fool into the ground

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I did that once. I ended up racing some teenage boy all the way along the high road. Luckily he gave up before I did as I suspect he would have been faster than me at sprinting if he'd hung on for another 100 metres. It was about my second run with my club, and the point when they noticed I might be, maybe, a bit competitive.

• Looking at my running log, I've run 12 times over the past three weeks.  All but one of those times I've had some (usually hefty) bloke hurl some sort of hilarious jibe out of the passenger side window while they bravely speed away.  Unfortunately for one white van, they made their witty critique of my running only to find themselves parked up outside my neighbours house when I got back.  They looked very sheepish as I walked past giving them a slow hand clap, telling them that if they'd ever like to join me in the last two miles of an 18 mile run, they'd be more than welcome, then asking them what, aside from picking on a lone female, they had achieved that day. 

As a lone female runner, aside from being truly irritating, given that it usually comes very overweight groups of men in the safety of their vehicle, it can sometimes be a little bit intimidating. 

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Crazy Diamond, that sounds awful. There are some rude people around. I know its hard but just ignore them. They are probably feeling low about themselves as they are probably unfit, unhappy with their weight etc and need to get other people down in order to feel better about themselves. You must be quite an @rse to put your big belly behind a wheel and then shout abuse at someone who is keeping fit, especially when they target a lone female.

I always think that they will probably never be able to do what I am doing which gets me in a better mood straight away.
  • Jindalee, I don't actually give a toss.  Anyone who sees fit to attempt mocking of another human being simply because they don't possess the self awareness or motivation to better themselves just doesn't register on my scale of giving a shit. 

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    image Like your attitude Crazy Diamond
  • Oddly I never seem to get any grief from anyone.