Sub 3h15

Comments

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Some nice parkrun results today.

My race number is pinned onimage.  I've ordered a taxi to the start, a wake-up call and bought the bus ticket back to the Durban.  My temperature has gone and resting heart rate much improved. 

Oh and it's going to be 30C tomorrowimage.  So if I do run it will be for a finish and not a time and be happy to get any colour medal.  My race number is 49072 and splits are live at www.comrades.com

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ant you tease! 

Well done on the parkruns boys. 

bike it - GOOD LUCK image

• Keir - your maths sucks! Aren't you a teacher as well???? £28 to £31 pounds is a £3 increase, which is more than 10%. And no, I wasn't complaining. Just stating a fact.

Good luck Bike It!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Speedy I think keir is a special needs teacher rather than gifted and talented.... image 

• Go on, Bike It!!

Moof - Good parkrun action.

Birch - Great to see you clocking up such tidy mileage

Gerard - You could do a 10-miler on Tuesday or Wednesday with a section a HMP, but it would be more psychological than anything else and would depend on how well/quickly you recover. What's your HM target?

Right, then. This afternoon I did the Candás-Luanco-Candás race, in its second edition, and I will definitely be back next year. Over 600 entries, which is a lot for these parts, and we were treated to perfect weather (partly cloudy, 16ºC) and a first-class organisation. The start was at 5.30pm. so I got there and parked up 90 minutes or so beforehand. I went and got the race number, at which point we had to pay up the 5€ entry fee (take note, other organizers). Cash, no mucking about. For this we got the roads completely closed off in both directions, perfect stewarding from the local rozzers and volunteers and two water stations. At the finish we were given isotonic drinks (2), water, an apple, a cereal bar and a very nice technical t-shirt.

As for the race itself it was tough, but, strangely, really enjoyable. It links two seaside towns 5km or so apart, and as it's a rugged part of the coast there's absolutely no flat sections at all, but long, fairly steep hills, up and down. with a 1.1 km uphill drag 2kms out from the finish.

I won't go into it too much but I put in a good effort although in the middle section just before and after Luanco,I really struggled with the constant rise and fall of the route. All too soon, however, came the aforementioned long last hill, but I was ready for it and overtook a number of runners who were variously grunting, gurning, and gasping. The last 600 metres was a vertiginous dash down through the town of Candás to the finish which despite the legs starting to ping a bit, I negotiated at 5:26mm pace. In short, I flew through the finishing arch around which a good-sized and appreciative crowd had formed. 

The time: 44:05 for 10.6 kms, which is 6:41mm. This is a couple of minutes below what I'd expected, and so I'm very pleased.

A really great race.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

image - sorry Speedy.

Impressive amount of creamy white 'foam' you've produced there Ant! - Sounds like you had a good blast out today (at the race!). Not sure how the organisers could cover the cost of the goody bag let alone the organisation for such a little entry fee. I guess 5 euros goes quite a long way in Spain nowadays.

• Sounds like a great value race Ant. How come so many races are in the evening over there?

• Speedy - Well, there aren't that many really, but it's true that when the days are a bit longer a number of races take place on Sat afternoons- I'm not sure whether it's better or not, really. It's quite nice to get it out of the way, and it frees up your Sunday.

Keir - While I was queuing up for the race number, over the tannoy they were thanking the sponsors; just about all of the shops and businesses in the town had collaborated, so that would make it possible. Just shows you, dunnit?

Incidentally, my km splits for today were 4:11, 3:56, 4:23, 3:59, 4:08, 4:22, 4:32, 4:07, 4:05, 4:23 and the last 600m went by @ 3:23 km/min pace. These splits tell the whole story of how undulating the course was, but also where I struggled the most.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Well done Ant! Sounds like you really enjoyed it. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Nice one Ant!

Great news BikeIt. Good luck and enjoy the day.

11miles for me in 1:24 (138bpm) - yes still sticking to the controlled heart rate stuff (maffetone style) and I've found that I'm getting steadily quicker for the same HR which is nice.

Trip to the pool was cut short due to sore shoulder image. Think I'll rest it for a couple of days. 5.5 hr bike planned for tomorrow. I'll pack my picnic basket later, nom nom nom.

• Speedy, they just started a new Parkrun in Newarke today, is that within your travelling range for a Saturday morning. Not sure what the cousre is like though? I'm sure you could whoop your PB on a normal course.

Ant - it was a typo. I meant to say shafted! image That sounds a tough but enjoyable race and a great time considering the profile. Do you always have bubbles in your bath?

Just looked at that link Keir and it looks a mental race, more a survival race than anythuing else - good luck.

Decent parkrun Moof. Know what you mean about the heavy legs etc. I did a Parkrun the other month and couldnlt break 19 minutes and it felt tough, but I think a few weeks of decent training can make a big difference.

Good luck tomorrow BikeIt. Glad you are feeling better. Just remember all that hard training you have put in to get to where you are now.

Gerrard, I don't think a 10 miler tomorrow would do you any harm, just don't blast it all the way. Maybe a good plan would be to do the first 8 miles steady then the last 2 @ HM pace? This should be achievable and although not going to improve your fitness drastically for next weeks HM, also shouldn't do you any harm either.

Just back from a private festival (40th birthday party). Had a great time with the kids and feel a bit sunburnt!

• Ant, it sounds like a great race. The Espaniards certainly know how to support amateur athletic (and cycling?) events.

Fo me, 100 miles on the bike. Almost all of them into wind, I don't know how either. Performance wise, the legs were still up for it at the end. I also tagged on a run of almost 5 miles, which was NOT at 7:30m/m. It was interesting to watch the muscles twitching afterwards.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice one Ant, and nice "foam"

But mainly go go Bike It, 30 degrees is tough but you are up to the challenge

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Dropping in to wish Bike It all the best for Comrades!  

• Slokey - Good session from you, hope the shoulder sorts itself out. Enjoy your bike ride - doesn't sound like much of a picnic to me!

Blisters - You are an animal, in the best sense of the word. That is a punishing session you put yourself through. Rest day today?

Bike It is off and running!

I can't decide whether to go for a recovery run or just get on with George Eliot in my comfy armchair...

• Comrades looks amazing. Live stream here. The heat could well be a problem.

• Bike It wrote (see)

My race number is 49072 and splits are live at www.comrades.com

Tracking Bike! Those simple words look so good so far:

49072                  Started and running

has gone through the 16.86km marker.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

I was acting as a supporter/ cheerer / Safetyman at the Kent Roadrunner Marathon yesterday, running the wrong way round the 17 laps.

Was a great way to run a marathon, loved every minute of it as had no time to think for myself as cheering on others and stopping to assist crampers / hoblers etc.

And bizarrely still managed 3:47:XX

All the best Bile It

Nice running Ant

Top Training Blisters

Take care

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Comrades eh. One of the biggies on the distance runner's CV. Been considering it for years, can some one tell me to be sensible and NOT throw caution to the wind and splash a load of non existent cash on going next year.image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Anyone else having trouble getting onto the Comrades website!

Well done Ant that is a great time on that course, sounds like a great event and the coastal towns look nice.

• I'm off out to support at the Outlaw half in a mo, please keep the comrades updates coming on here as I can access this forum from my phone but will struggle to get the proper site I think. 

KR - Newark is a real trek so I won't be going to that one. My actual 5k PB is 18.58 from Feb 2012. Hoped to beat it this year but it snowed mightily on the day of the race and even though it did apparently still take place, I couldn't get there. 

• RFJ wrote (see)

All the best Bile It

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Just managed to get on. Looks like Bike it got through half in 4:11. Go go!!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Had a bit of a readback as been away at Rhosneigr beach - the rave run in RW this month as coincidence would have it, so had a bash at that early yesterday. Was as relaxing as running can ever get, which I imagine is the Polar opposite of where Bike it is at as I type. Keep at it Bike it - only 26k to go!image

Congats on the sub 18 PMJimage

• RFJ - That's impressive running, and I'm sure you enjoyed it more than those going the other way round!

Bike It is going really, really well - fewer than 26kms to go!!

I got out and did a 5-mile recovery, with the legs feeling remarkably fresh.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed for Bike It - great to hear it's going well so far!

11.75M to bring up 55M for the week as I build up to proper miles again.  Legs were a bit tired after yesterday's hills, but I made them do a few more hills: they've got 4 weeks to learn to love them!  (Sorry, quads)

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    10 uncomfortable miles for me this morning at a plodtastic 9min mile, glute ache reappeared with a vengeance. I shouldn't have done the parkrun yesterday.

I'll never learn...bugger! I need a new hobby.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Bike it has got over Polly shorts (weird name or what, sounds like a vertically challenged parrot) and he is less than 7k away from the finish line and looking like he might dip under the sub 9hr mark which would be amazing!