Sub 3h15

Comments

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

GO ON BIKE IT

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Great to hear Bike it has recovered enough to run, and has been up Pollys' Shorts.

Great more than 10k action from Ant, and sparing the forum with an empty bath is appreciated.

Sorry to hear the glute is still playing up Moof. Don't have anything to recommend other than sticking to the slow stuff for a few weeks, and stick at any rehab exercises you were given.

Great parking running KR and Gul.

I called short my 'tempo sandwich' today, converting it into a 'tempo on toast'. I was running in the Marlow FM 10km race. Plan was home to Marlow, run the 10k, and then return home. The route I chose to Malow was 7.5m cross country, and I ended up with soaking feet - not a great stat for the 10k.

Ran the 10k in 38:55 for 5th place, 1st V40. First couple of miles were road at 5:50 pace, and then pace dropped considerably, but maintained heart rate  with a couple of 6:25's and a couple of 6:30's on the trail sections. Mainly flat with the occassional footbridge, steps, style  etc.

Slowest 10k so far but happy with the way I ran it. Unfortunately I ended it still with the wet feet, but also a huge blister - the last thing I wanted before next weekends South Downs run. So no more running, and a lift home from Mrs AR

The upside was that I got to meet PMJ on my way to the start, and got encouragement from him at two points during the run.image

• Bumped into also ran today out on a slow 11 miler. I planned my run to cheer on a few friends on a local off road 10k and AR said he was running it as tempo. Saw him at 3 and 6k and he looked very easy.

• A nice morning's work, AR - well done on that 5th place!

Bike it is going to do a phenomenal time - sensational.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

I just saw Bike It finished in 9:23:20, that's very impressive given the conditions and the way he felt a couple of days ago. Incredibly well done, soak it up (the Castle beer) and enjoy the rest of your time out there!!

Definitely one for the bucket list. Any others on here tempted to do it??

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

No. Not tempted at all. But congratulations to Bike It!

• The scenery is incredible, but I can't say it appeals to me that much - too far away, too long, too hilly. And that finishing section is so corporate it makes VLM look like a family-run, home-made job.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Yay!  Well done, BikeIt.

Yes, Comrades is on my list.  But not until I've stopped improving at shorter distances.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Well done Bike It. I'm very tempted and its on my list for the future. 

nice comfortable image 10k running AR. 

So I can relate to Bike It's effort I'm off to run a mile down the river in the Northumberland heat. image

• Glad to hear Bike It has finished. What colour medal will he get for that? 

Lovely day for supporting today, although the inevitable wind around Holme Pierrepont was a bit chilly. I can't believe the amount of money people pay to do the Outlaw and Outlaw Half. That lake stinks. You'd have to pay me to dip a toe in it. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lovely day in the office here!!

SG I believe it's a Bronze for that sort of time.

If there was ever an effort that deserved a medal it's the Comrades.

Think I might do Two Oceans first though. Next visit to the Cape may have to be planned accordingly. And if I ever do attempt the Comrades it won't be the UP one!!

My brother in law has twelve medals now and his last one last year went swimmingly until about 65k and he hobbled for the last 21. Imagine that - nah better not actually.

Joolska I echo your comments re the shorter distances.

Will be interesting to see what Bike it thinks about the UP vs the Down one. Mind you that heat must have stung today big-time.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Isn't it a belt buckle instead of a medal? Or is that 100 states?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Massive well done Bike Itimageimageimage

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

many congratulations, BikeIt . . . . . .

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Evening all.  Back from a two week holiday consisting of no running and so much food I've put on half a stone!!!  Today's 6 mile league race was likely to go one of two ways (excellent with rested legs/falling apart after 3 miles).  I'll post a report in a bit.

Only had a selective read back as so many pages gone by in the past fortnight.

Speedy - Excellent marathon PB.  All of the hard work you put in gave a thoroughly deserved outcome.  Definitely capable of sub-3 when fully healthy.

Brilliant Bike-It, especially given the recent lurgy.  It's on my bucket list but only when I can convince Mrs H of the extra time away training!!

Well raced yesterday Ant and today AR; and good parkrunning by KR & Gul.

A different way to run a marathon RFJ.  Saw the photos on FB.  Looked fun!!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Comrades is on my list too. Very well done BikeIt!!!

Speedy, good news about the stinky lake. I'll be in it in 5 weeks image.

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Swithland 6m league race today.  After one very short run since returning from holiday I was not too hopeful of having the endurance to beat my 35.59 PB.  However, always up for a test I decided to go off too quickly (as usual) and ticked off the downhill first mile in 5.40.  Then comes a flatter section followed by a long uphill drag over a pitted pathway which means losing time due to dodging potholes.  Mile 2 done in 6.01 and mile 3 in 6.17 (mostly pitted path). 

Mile 4 was mainly downhill so opened up my legs a little and found a "comfortable" 5.43 from somewhere.  Mile 5 is flat so tried to continue the same hard effort and overtook two guys in front and closed up on a few more (5.54). 

The final mile starts flat but then rises for half a mile until a final downhill 400 metres.  I picked off two more on the flat section and then a group of four on the uphill section before turning to sprint for home.  The final mile completed in 5.48 for a watch time of 35.23, 35th place and a 36sec PB.

Very happy with the result and the way my legs held out, even though my HR was higher than usual.  Bodes well for a summer of shorter distances.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Respect due Bike it. image Mileage, hills, heat, family lurgy all over come. Well done!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Bike It, sounds like a great effort and your bronze medal. I know nothing about comrades except it's way too hard for me.

Impressive stuff as usual AR- great time after the warm up and wet feet with a partially off road course. Why didn't you do the extra miles after the race and take it more seriously for a higher placing?

Great parkrun heroics everybody. I did a reasonable 19:07 y/day which gave me 4th in a weak field. It's the last race of this years competition next week and I'm sitting in 3rd place- should be OK for a podium image.

Ran 13 miles in Keswick this morning with some serious hill work but at plod pace, followed by an 11 mile walk with Mrs OO. My hips and lower back are in a bad way now.

35 miles for the week and 140 for May.

• Slokey, I don't want to worry you, but as well as being full of goose and swan poo, the lake frequently has signs around it saying 'Blue Green Algae  - No Immersion Sports'. Just don't swallow any of it!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the support guys.

That was the most brutal race ever.  The starting temperature was around 18C and even the black africans were sweating after 2km. It got up to 30C heat from halfway.  Also there was a wicked headwind of 20mph on many parts of the course which blew up dust.  And there was also a bush fire we ran through.

I managed to start OK, I wasn't sure what pace I could run and 8:40s seemed sensible.  By halfway I had averaged (I think) 9:16m/m after climbing 3 named hills and many unnamed.  I was at halfway at 4:11 which I tought could be possible to get a Bill Rowen (for sub-9 hours).

The climbing continued for 27km and altought the climbs were small, my pace was dropping due to fatigue and the heat.  At 21km to go I had 2:22 to go before the 9hour cutoff.  Downhill started and I on 8:40m/m again.  Then came 'Little Pollies'  - it's about 40m elevation gain but at that stage of the race brutal.  Then came 'Polly Shorts' - 2km long and 100m high - at that stage I could only walk it.

At the top I had 8km to go needing the last 5 miles at sub-10m/m.  I did the first 2.5miles at that pace and then my legs stopped working at 4km to go.  I sat on the kerb and one family helped me get going, I then went and sat in a one lady's chair and her husband gave me iced water - lots of other people helped with getting my legs going but they weren't doing much but walk and then run the grass part in the stadium.

Personally I'm very happy with that given that I was in the doctor surgery less than 48 hours before the start with tonsilitus.

I've got to say it was the heat that put paid to my BR contents though today - That is the hardest race I have ever done by far!

The up run is relentless in climbing.  The garmin registered 5722ft ascent, 3678ft descent.  The heat was brutal today and only 2/3 of the runners made the final cutoff compared with more than 90% normally.  I even saw A seeded runners (sub3 marathoner), either with finish on 11.xx and also fail to finish as well as many Green Numbers (more than 10 finishes).

Comrades down is easier and is next yearimage

I'm off to do something easy now - maybe I'll climb Everest in just my running shorts

• Fantastic performance from Bike It!! Huge commitment to even make it to the start let alone turn in such an impressive performance.

Looks like it's going to be a forum road trip to Comrades either next year or 2015. For some strange reason I really fancy the up version, although it must be nice finishing by the coast.

Some cracking parkruns this weekend and a very bizarre marathon from RFJ

Sussex Surrey Scramble for me today - as I've said before, if anyone wants a fantastically orgnaised sportive with clear signage and well stocked feed stations all at a reasonable price, go to http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/. Strongly recommended.

I'd decided to go for the Epic - the 100 mile version. I'd only once been over 90 miles on a ride and that was pretty knackering, but wanted to get the ton up. 

In summary, it was a great course - not crazily hilly although there was just over 5,000 ft of climb. The weather was perfect and there were some lovely parts of the Sussex and Surrey countryside to cycle through.

All went well for the first 97 miles and I was averaging about 17.3mph (excluding stops at the feed stations) so well on track for under 6 hours when, with the end almost in sight, I felt a wobble in one of my pedals. I thought it was just the cleat and it could hold on for 10 mins but then the whole pedal arm fell off as the bolt had worked loose - not a happy bunny so close to the finish.

To cut a long story short, I then had to cycle the last 3 miles using just one pedal - fortunately there weren't any hills but it wasn't easy and was a bit odd not knowing what to do with the pedal-less foot!

Suffice to say the last 3 miles were a bit slower, but I still got in in just over 5 hours 50 which even adding on stopping time for fodder and to help someone who'd come off their bike, meant I had achieved the gold standard for the ride so I'm feeling pretty pleased. With 6,500 calories clocked on the Garmin, I've done nothing but eat since I got back home.

Back to some 5Ks and 10Ks for the next few weeks and then it's the 200K Magnificat in the middle of July.

• Bike It - x-post.

Great report and simply and awesome performance. How about sticking with Africa and doing the Marathon des Sables next?!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lol Lorenzo I bet that's the last thing you wanted at mike 97! Sounds like a good day out. 

bike it - you have to go and spoil it with your realistic account of how gruelling Comrades is! image  Seriously, very well done. Can't wait to hear more about it. 

Comrades 2015 anyone? image

• Awesome effort BikeIt and like you say, 48 hours presiously you were at the doctors! A brilliant achievment to have completed that, enjoy the rest of your trip.

Brilliant time Martin after 2 weeks of no running + eating & drinking. (make mental note to oneself not to run for a fortnight to get a PB!).

Lorenzo, that sounds a creukl way to finish, well done for limping home with one leg on the pedal - don;t know how you did it? What did you do with the other leg, must have been hard to have compensate for?

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Bike-it -  what a fantastic effort in the face of illness and conditions on the day. Your report gives some insight into how tough Comrades is, let alone the training to get to the start.  I shall bear this account in mind next time I thumb through the glossy brochures.

Lorenzo -I know little about cycling, but two pedals sounds useful. Well done on completing it one legged, while scraping someone off the road. The sub 6 sounds like some effort.

Martin - great running, and fantastic pacing. I may have to borrow from that training approach

• Minni - I am seriously thinking about it but might require a little bit of negotiation at home!

KR - it was really odd as I just had to let my left leg hang, but not too much so that it went on the ground. Having cleats meant that my right leg had to work double as it was also doing the work on the upstroke but once I got some momentum it wasn't too bad. Wouldn't recommend it though!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

KR - very tidy parkrun.
    Birch - sounds like a very enjoyable 16 miler.
    Jools - good job you did a recce and now know the way!
    Keir - encouraging that you can put in the monster mileage without your back issue flaring up.
    Moof - good parkrun on a windy day.
    Bike It - great news on your temperature - not so good on the ambient temperature! Now read your report - well done. That's an amazing achievement.
    Ant - that's a great time for what sounds like a very tough course.
    Blisters - stonking mileage on the bike.
    RFJ - running the wrong way round must have been weird.
    Poacher - misread your post as one of the Biggles?!
    AR - liking the tempo sandwich / toast thing! And congrats on bagging 1st old git in the 10k.
    Martin - welcome back - nice way to get back into the swing of things with a 36s PB! Excellent racing.
    OO - hope the hips/back are OK now.
    6 miles plus some Norfolk hill sprints for me this morning. Another beautiful day.
    Lorenzo - sorry, somehow missed a few posts there. Well done on finishing with one pedal - a bit bizarre!